1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Apple Fall event official for October 30th

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Sam Posten, Oct 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    This is a fascinating way to run a home theater presentation.

I may just opt for a Mac Mini at some point. In the meantime, a slide show could be run off of Apple TV but I am not certain how effectively.

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I'll be in a doctor's appointment during this time so no live toots from me.

3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I am also tapping out.

Actually, once again, I have to change my work schedule and take Thursday night/Friday morning off so I can be at my computer when the new iPads and Pencils go on sale.

Looking forward to the 12" iPad. Never owned one that large before. I would get the Logitech charging stand that is currently available so I can charge it on the table, but reports are saying that Apple is moving the magnetic charger to the back of the iPad so all the current keyboards and stands are incompatible.

4. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I don;t think the big iPads will be all that limited, not sure I will get up early or not. Will see

5. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

I’ve never experienced an iPad shortage. Original iPad (G3) I got on day one, a few minutes before the Soho Apple Store closed, no wait. The retina iPad (3) on day one late morning in San Fransisco in pouring rain - no wait. My following iPad Air 2, 9.7” Pro & 10.5” Pro I don’t even remember when/how I bought but when you don’t wait and don’t have problems why even remember?

Heck, even the iPhone this year was a problem free, 10 minute(?) wait day one purchase at the Apple Store UWS. The entire time spent was transferring from old to new iPhone and unpairing/pairing the Apple Watch

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Ted,

I work during the hours that the preorders start. So, it's difficult for me to be at work fiddling with my iPhone until the Apple Store opens up and I can order one of these things. I just switch my day off and do it that way. Worry and hassle-free.

7. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I'm glad the announcement is EST for a change. By the time I'm awake and accessing the news feeds, I'll be ready to place my pre-order. :)

Sam Posten likes this.
  8. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Sam Posten likes this.
  9. Message #29 of 133 Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Mark Booth

Mark Booth Cinematographer
    Supporter

In iPhoto I run these slideshows for the guest walk in:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/32-theater-room-items-accessories/1320569-pre-movie-slides-master-thread.html

The version of VLC I'm using on the Mac mini is 2.2.1. It's an older version but it works for what I need and I don't like messing with updating anything because all I use the Mac mini for is as a HTPC. It still has Snow Leopard on it. (Of course, if I get a new Mac mini that will change.)

VLC has a Playlist feature:

http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-2363631/set-playlist-vlc.html

For each movie night, I create a playlist for that specific night. VLC automatically plays each video in the playlist one after the other. You have to fiddle around with the settings to make sure the mouse pointer disappears and that the video stays in front of all other apps. I also had to turn off notifications on the Mac mini so the playlist doesn't get interrupted by a notification.

In the playlist I use a mix of custom Booth Bijou trailers (some of which I created at iVipid), cartoons (which I rip from Blu-ray or download from YouTube), assorted classic lobby trailers, such as "Let's all Go to the Lobby" (which I ripped from a DVD that I own), and movie trailers (that I download from HD-Trailers.net).

The RF remote I use in the garage is the Logitech Harmony Elite. With the press of a single touchscreen "button", it automatically switches the AV receiver from the HTPC to the Blu-ray player (which already has the movie queued up at its start on pause) and takes the player out of pause. That touchscreen button is created via the Harmony's custom sequence/macro feature. This explains how to create one:

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/creating-button-sequences

All of my home theater gear is in our living room. When I set up the garage theater for a movie night I move the front three speakers and subwoofer from the living room to the garage (the garage has permanently mounted surround speakers). I installed a patch bay for speaker wire feeds that goes from the living room to the garage. When I unplug a speaker cable from the back of a speaker in the living room I plug it into the patch bay in the living room. Out in the garage, I run a separate speaker wire for each speaker from the garage patch bay to the speakers. Ditto for a patch bay to run an RCA connection for the subwoofer.

We have a dedicated 1080p projector for the garage (which we plan to upgrade to 4K HDR in 2019 or 2020). There is a dedicated HDMI cable running from an extra output on the back of the AV receiver in the living room all the way into the garage to the projector. All of the gear (Mac mini, Blu-ray player, AV receiver) remain in the living room. There are RF repeaters (from the Harmony Hub) in our equipment cabinet so I can control all of the gear in the living room while I'm in the garage.

That's about it. There are photos of our setup here:

https://www.thephotobooth.net/Booth-Bijou/Bbgarage/n-wPXZL/i-xDDm8hs

Included on that page is a brief video of how I arrange our snack bar (I use the workbench) with popcorn popping in our Gold Medal popcorn machine:

https://www.thephotobooth.net/Booth-Bijou/Bbgarage/n-wPXZL/i-zmJmQJg/A

Also on that page is this 8-minute video demonstration of our pre-movie entertainment (showing custom trailers, movie trailers, etc.). That 8-minute video is several years old and a bit out of date compared to how our custom trailers look today. I believe it is also missing the custom voiceover that I now use regularly. Here's the demo 8-minute video (this was shot with a camera sitting IN the theater so the audio quality isn't anywhere near what it sounds like in real life... plus, there's roll in the image which isn't there in real life either):

https://www.thephotobooth.net/Booth-Bijou/Bbgarage/n-wPXZL/i-Z22rJzW/A

Certain segments were cut short on purpose (it's just for demo) but that shows you how a VLC playlist strings things together very nicely.

The custom Booth Bijou voiceover is the pièce de résistance. A number of years ago I joined with a bunch of other AVS members to hire a professional voice announcer. He recorded a bunch of generic home theater words and phrases which can easily be edited together in a sound editor to create custom sentences. Everyone that pitched in money to pay for the pro voice guy also got a couple of custom phrases recorded. One of my choices, of course, was "Booth Bijou" used in a couple of different phrases in addition to our names, etc. When I got all of the digital files I edited them together and added some background music to create this (there's no video, just audio):

https://www.thephotobooth.net/Booth-Bijou/Bbintros/n-NSt9S/i-r3K57Rx/A

Our guests really get a kick out of the custom voiceover done by a pro. :) And, happily, my cost to get a copy of all of the words and phrases and our custom words/phrases was only $35. Best home theater investment I've ever made. :)

Mark

10. Message #30 of 133 Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
  11. Mark Booth

Supporter

12. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I'm a dumbass. I was thinking this starts at 1pm easter but it's at 10am. I'll be at work, not the docs. So I'll see alerts but still won't be able to watch, but can be kinda tuned in =)

13. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  14. KeithAP

KeithAP Screenwriter
    Supporter

Keith
    You are probably right. Personally, any Mac Mini that doesn't have at least the CPU and GPU options of a 27" iMac will be a disappoint to me…I am prepared to be disappointed. :)

-KeithP

Sam Posten likes this.
  15. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Yeah, it's the only reason I would consider using a Mini as my primary home workstation. Otherwise, why not just get the iMac? It will be interesting to see how they position things if there is indeed a "pro Mini."

16. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    The GPUs on the iMac aren't any great shakes either. Sticking with AMD graphics is dumb.

17. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Rumors / speculation are NVidia won’t give Apple the low-level access they want, but AMD will.

Sam Posten likes this.
  18. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I might be in an all day meeting from 11a to 7p, so won’t be able to check the news until tomorrow night most likely.

19. Mark Booth

Supporter

Just one hour to go. Come on, Apple.... bring daddy a new Mac mini that he can't resist!

Mark

20. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Mark, you’re jinxing it.

Mark Booth likes this.