What's new

Apple Fall Event: Gather Round - Live Discussion and pre-purchasing thread (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I think you have it right. I’m thinking you should also be able to use the dual SIM feature to use your iPhone as both a personal and company phone with two different numbers, if your company has a BYOD policy and allows it.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Clinton! I actually use my own phone at work too. I have to travel to China from time to time for work, so the dual SIM was of interest for that. I could set up a temporary second line. And presumably that second line’s has its own data to use?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ok so I haven't visited AT&T's site in a long time (they're my carrier) and their navigation straight bites. I currently have the unlimited premium plus plan for my iPhone. Will adding an Apple Watch S4 (which I'll buy from Apple) simply add $10 to my monthly? All the Apple Watch info I find on AT&T's site indicate $20 or more but I think that's because it assumes I'll be buying the watch from AT&T and it's splitting it into the monthly fee. I can't imagine the cost is $20/mo to simply add connectivity.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I
As of now, from what I've read, I will likely stand pat with my X (256GB). I'll own it outright by the time the XI (I assume) comes out in October 2019 so I'll have a solid backup and for funsies device in late 2019 to go with my XI. There was nothing in the Xs that has me wanting to spend $1500 (I'd be buying the largest memory size offered).

Carlo, I'm thinking the same thing. The X is a great device and I haven't seen or heard about anything in the Xs that is a must-have.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Our 2017 Mazda CX-5 now has Apple CarPlay (and Android Auto). Mazda has released a retrofit kit that adds two cables and replaces the USB/AUX module with a new one. It's all plug and play (and quite easy to install, actually) once you've done necessary infotainment firmware update (which I did myself). The total install (including firmware) took 2.5 hours. CarPlay is slick as snot. And, even with my lowly iPhone 6, it's noticeably faster than Mazda's native infotainment system. Based on reviews, it will be faster yet once I get a newer phone.

I'll be ordering that iPhone Excess at midnight.

I've got a second CarPlay/AA retrofit kit on order to install in our 2016 Miata. It's supposed to be here on Saturday so I plan to install it on Sunday. Then both cars will be rocking CarPlay! :drum:

Mark

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Our 2017 Mazda CX-5 now has Apple CarPlay (and Android Auto). Mazda has released a retrofit kit that adds two cables and replaces the USB/AUX module with a new one. It's all plug and play (and quite easy to install, actually) once you've done necessary infotainment firmware update (which I did myself). The total install (including firmware) took 2.5 hours. CarPlay is slick as snot. And, even with my lowly iPhone 6, it's noticeably faster than Mazda's native infotainment system. Based on reviews, it will be faster yet once I get a newer phone.

I've got a second CarPlay/AA retrofit kit on order to install in our 2016 Miata. It's supposed to be here on Saturday so I plan to install it on Sunday. Then both cars will be rocking CarPlay! :drum:

Mark
Our rental this weekend is a Mazda CX-5 - and one problem with this USB ports is they don’t charge the iPad at all - running Apple Maps/playing music on a 5 hour drive today drained the battery from 100% to 5%

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Our rental this weekend is a Mazda CX-5 - and one problem with this USB ports is they don’t charge the iPad at all - running Apple Maps/playing music on a 5 hour drive today drained the battery from 100% to 5%

That is completely solved the CarPlay/AA retrofit upgrade. Without the new USB module (and two new cables from CMU to USB module) Mazda's USB ports are 500ma. After the CarPlay/AA retrofit the USB ports are 2.1A each. Plenty to charge a tablet or big ass phone.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I ordered standard XS with 256GB and Space Gray. Did it for store pickup and chose a specific time window.

Apple's site didn't come up for me until about 12:09am. I'm glad I moved quickly because there aren't anymore XS 256GB Space Gray left for pickup (on the 21st) at the Apple Store I chose.

I didn't choose Apple Care. Since I'm picking it up in-store, I figure I have until next Friday to make that decision. They'll match my employee purchase price plan ($179 for Apple Care instead of $199) in-store, I've done it before.

Mark

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Watch, Stainless Steel Space Grey w/ cellular and Milanese loop. Stood pat on my X, no need to upgrade until next year.

And now the countdown begins for me for my next iPhone...
6f43eff413ed001042351771bf3032ac.jpg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 3.33.16 AM.png

Apple store app opened about 4-5 minutes late (as usual). No problems placing order for phone and folio. However, the watch with sport band had a date of September 28-October 2. So I spent $100 more for the Milanese loop and got a date of September 21.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Retirement for the win. I abhor waiting for stuff to be delivered that I know can't be left at the front (or back) door without a signature (not that I'd want an iPhone laying around anyway). With the in-store pickup I have an exact pickup window (half-hour) to show up and the Apple Store I chose is only 15 minutes from my house. Easy peasy.

Mark

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Thanks Clinton! I actually use my own phone at work too. I have to travel to China from time to time for work, so the dual SIM was of interest for that. I could set up a temporary second line. And presumably that second line’s has its own data to use?
I would think the 2nd line would have it’s own data but this is all new to me as well. We’ll find out more details as the carriers announce whether or not they’ll support it.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

Mark
It would be nice if Honda did something like that but I’m not holding my breath. If I go CarPlay (which I want to very badly), I’ll just have a local car audio shop install the new version of the Sony XAV-AX100 when it comes out this fall.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That was easy. #iPhoneXSMax 256 space grey and @otterbox
I almost did the same, had everything completed except hitting the order button and I just couldn't do it. I can't justify spending that much on a phone. If I was using my phone for work and such that would be different, but as a retiree, I just don't use my iPhone enough to justify the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks