What's new

Apple Fall Event: Gather Round - Live Discussion and pre-purchasing thread (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That Galaga vr demo was a mess of images all jumbled up on the screen.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
184F11E0-B40B-44D6-B7D8-2CA22D669C31.png

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
No iPad Pros.

No Apple Pencil support on the iPhone. I wasn’t expecting that to happen. Would have been surprised had there been.

The iPhone announcements were marred by so many leaks though.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I realize this won't be a popular comment, but I am so glad that when my phone died earlier this year, that I went with the iPhone SE. The SE does everything I need, and these new items don't appeal to me. I'm glad I didn't try to hold out in anticipation of something I would like better than SE, because right now, that doesn't seem to exist.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Saw this in the comments section of a news site discussion the newest Apple news. Kinda have to agree with it.

The new iPhone boasts of an incredible 6 hour battery life, completely secure platform which locks you out of your phone for 4 days if you bump the screen while it's in your pocket, and the inability to connect to any device via USB2 and use it as a storage device, because as we know USB2 is long gone and nobody wants to connect a device without having to use itunes! Also, since all headphones are wireless there is no headphone port... but fear not, using wireless headphones only burns up 50% of your battery. All of this at an incredibly low $1500 price tag! Get it now before it's bricked by apple because as you know the next phone is coming out at the end of the year.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
No USB2 support? Wow.

My MacBook Pro is from 2009. Apple no longer makes a MacBook (pro or otherwise) which have my two most important features of my 2009 model: a 17" screen, and a built-in optical drive. Since my 2009 model still does everything I need it to do, I'm not in any urgent rush to buy a new one. When it breaks down, it'll get replaced, but it looks like any replacement will be a downgrade from what I've got.

And they're now saying that I couldn't plug a new iPhone into my MacBook Pro because it was made before USB3? That seems ludicrous to me. That doesn't make me want to rush out and buy a new iPhone even faster; it makes me want to take better care of the one I have so that I don't have to worry about it.

I'm really getting tired of this whole planned obsolescence thing where, once you get one new component, everything in your ecosystem needs to be upgraded. It's not just Apple, of course. If your HDTV goes, at this point, UHD is pretty much the only option, but UHD doesn't work with older HDMI standards, so then you have to replace your receiver too.

It used to be that if you didn't want to upgrade to the latest and greatest across the board, your old stuff would be fine, you just couldn't take advantage of some of the newest capabilities. But now, it seems like the way to force upgrades is to make it so that if one component goes, none of your other components will work with whatever the replacement model is. And that seems wrong to me.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
While I didn't expect an iPhone SE update, I hoped that an updated model would be surprise announcement. Unfortunately the closest thing to an iPhone SE surprise is that Apple is no longer selling them…which probably isn't really a surprise.

-KeithP

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You should be able to plug the new iPhone Xs, Xs Max and Xr into your MacBook Pro Josh. It has a lightning port and will come with the cable with USB on the other end. Don’t believe everything from the haters. :)

Wow, I have a 17” MacBook Pro too but I don’t use it anymore as I need the horsepower of the newer ones!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
While I didn't expect an iPhone SE update, I hoped that an updated model would be surprise announcement. Unfortunately the closest thing to an iPhone SE surprise is that Apple is no longer selling them…which probably isn't really a surprise.

-KeithP

That's really unfortunately. I really love mine and was prepared to stay with that form factor for a long time to come. I had several friends and relatives who were eyeing the SE as the replacement for their phones when that time came, and I imagine they're going to disappointed if there's no SE in the lineup anymore.

Some of us just don't want really large phones, which is what I would consider all of the models larger than the iPhone 5 and iPhone SE form. Just like some of us prefer having a headphone jack vs. not having one. It doesn't make financial sense to me for Apple to just discontinue the SE line without having something comparable to replace it. Unless Apple is signalling that they are now only interested in "high end" customers.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Apple’s R model is huge evidence they are not only interested in top high end.

Yes, small form factor phones are dead. People say they want em but not enough actually follow through and buy em.

No other vendor is making top quality phones in small form factor. Your choices are to buy junky android models or do it Apple’s way. Do it Apples way :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks