What's new

Apple fall event 2022 (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Reporting is Apple had very high sales last quarter, including very strong international sales. But revenues were down because of the strong dollar (foreign exchange rates).

Apple is obviously affected by china’s lockdown policy hitting Foxconn especially.

My impression is Apple can’t make enough devices to sell and they’d be moving faster in their upgrades if manufacturing and shipping allowed.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
New AppleTV has shipped, supposed to arrive tomorrow. However they're using a company called Deliver-It? And they get 1 star reviews online with lots of complaints, including some testimonials saying "I can't believe Apple uses this company". Their website looks kluge and doesn't reflect my shipment yet despite Apple saying it's en route.

luke-skywalker-bad-feeling.gif

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'd always spelled it that way, but apparently it's an alternate form of kludge
A kludge or kluge (/klʌdʒ, kluːdʒ/) is a workaround or quick-and-dirty solution that is clumsy, inelegant, inefficient, difficult to extend and hard to maintain. This term is used in diverse fields such as computer science, aerospace engineering, Internet slang, evolutionary neuroscience, and government. It is similar in meaning to the naval term jury rig.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Supposed to arrive today, Deliver-it just updated to "Label Created". This is going to go well. I can feel it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member

No dice. Apple now texted me "today is the day" but the Deliver-it Kluge Site is still lagging woefully behind. So failure #1 - didn't get it on release date as promised. Continued failure #2 - having a sucky website that manages to give even worse/later tracking data than USPS (which has improved in recent years but still lags behind UPS/FEDEX for accuracy and timeliness).

I'm in and out throughout the day so if it's signature required, who knows if they'll drop it off. I do have my neighbor who will be here all day and has offered to sign for it or bring it inside if I'm not here for the delivery.

I live in a secure complex that the major shippers know how to enter, who the heck knows if Deliver-it will be able to get in? They can call me on the box to let them in, but if I'm in an area with bad cell reception sometimes I just get a missed call from the front door.

All I know is, if Apple is now partnering with Deliver-it, any future purchase will be a "pick up in store" only.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
So despite me using the portal provided via text so they could enter the building, I got notified that "they're driver encountered a problem and couldn't enter the building". I've rescheduled for a different day where I know I'll be home for the entirety of the day. Assuming that guy knows how to use a callbox. Big assumption, given my experience up to now. Should change their company name to Can't Deliver-It.

Robert Saccone

Premium
There were a few of us on this thread that bought the Apple Watch Ultimate. Curious how everyone feels about it Now that we’ve had it for a while. So far I like mine a lot. It is substantial in size which for me isn’t a negative. I really like the display quality. It looks nicer to me than the ”normal” Apple Watch. I like that it is flat. Also I find the new assignable button to be really useful. Very convenient to be able to get to something really easily like starting a workout. I have the midnight band and I may change it out as I am getting tired of have indentions around my wrist.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

My one need I haven’t seen addressed is an easy way to make the stage manager snap in and out of full screen quickly

Stage Manager requires an m1 mac, right? I can’t try it out on my 2017 iMac?

It kinda sneaks up on me that I’m using a 5 year old Mac. iPhone and iPad offload a lot of usage from the imac so I don’t notice it getting long in the tooth as much. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There were a few of us on this thread that bought the Apple Watch Ultimate. Curious how everyone feels about it Now that we’ve had it for a while. So far I like mine a lot. It is substantial in size which for me isn’t a negative. I really like the display quality. It looks nicer to me than the ”normal” Apple Watch. I like that it is flat. Also I find the new assignable button to be really useful. Very convenient to be able to get to something really easily like starting a workout. I have the midnight band and I may change it out as I am getting tired of have indentions around my wrist.

Hi Robert!

I monitor Apple product reviews on YouTube. It seems like every day, for the past couple of weeks, there is a new video from someone talking about how much the Ultra has surprised them...

...and I can relate. The Apple Watch Ultra has become the biggest surprise for most of its owners who bought it on blind faith.

The YouTube stories are all the same. Most aren't athletes. Most don't have use for all the software functionality that's packed into the OS.

And that was my situation. If you looked at my initial posts I was vehemently against buying the watch, that is until I found that I could sell my Series 7 SS for a more substantial price than what Apple was offering.

So, back to the YouTube stories/reviews...

Everyone is raving about the watch. It came as a huge surprise to many because we all thought that one, it would just be too big and heavy for our wrists, and two, it came with a wealth of functionalities that most of us would never use.

Turns out, the Ultra looks more like a watch on the wrist than the Series watches do. In fact, I look at my girlfriend's Series 7 watch and it looks like a toy.

The Ultra is light on the wrist, not overly bulky, and pairs extremely well with the watch bands that have been on the market for the past few years.

Most impressive of all is the battery life. To be able to finally be able to track my sleep instead of having to worry about charging during that period has been amazing. I can easily go two days without having to charge the watch.

My only disappointment is the color. And, I think Apple purposely didn't put out a black Ultra watch in hopes that everyone would upgrade to that color offering next year.

Guess you can say that my enthusiasm for this watch is really showing.

Robert Saccone

Premium
Hi Robert!

I monitor Apple product reviews on YouTube. It seems like every day, for the past couple of weeks, there is a new video from someone talking about how much the Ultra has surprised them...

...and I can relate. The Apple Watch Ultra has become the biggest surprise for most of its owners who bought it on blind faith.

The YouTube stories are all the same. Most aren't athletes. Most don't have use for all the software functionality that's packed into the OS.

And that was my situation. If you looked at my initial posts I was vehemently against buying the watch, that is until I found that I could sell my Series 7 SS for a more substantial price than what Apple was offering.

So, back to the YouTube stories/reviews...

Everyone is raving about the watch. It came as a huge surprise to many because we all thought that one, it would just be too big and heavy for our wrists, and two, it came with a wealth of functionalities that most of us would never use.

Turns out, the Ultra looks more like a watch on the wrist than the Series watches do. In fact, I look at my girlfriend's Series 7 watch and it looks like a toy.

The Ultra is light on the wrist, not overly bulky, and pairs extremely well with the watch bands that have been on the market for the past few years.

Most impressive of all is the battery life. To be able to finally be able to track my sleep instead of having to worry about charging during that period has been amazing. I can easily go two days without having to charge the watch.

My only disappointment is the color. And, I think Apple purposely didn't put out a black Ultra watch in hopes that everyone would upgrade to that color offering next year.

Guess you can say that my enthusiasm for this watch is really showing.
Hi Ronald,

I think the battery life is truly impressive too. I didn’t realize it until you said it but the Ultra resembles my last analog watch much more than any Apple Watch that has come before it. I think you are right that colors are going to be one of the features in the next version.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Regarding battery life: my wife got the S8 (smaller size) and gets over 20 hrs battery life a day. She wears it all day, and sleeps in it. She charges it in the morning while getter for the day. This can include running a hour or more workout tracking some days.

If you want better long battery life but don’t want the Ultra, the S8 is also great.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
20 hours is great but the Ultra gets 3 days battery. For me using sleep tracking that is huge

Same here, Sam.

I never used sleep tracking until now.

Do you use a specific app or the stock health app?

I use an app called Auto Sleep. It's pretty good.

The problem with that app is you have to set your specific sleep times and if you deviate from it (which I do on the weekend as I go to bed later), it doesn't properly track your sleep.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
3 days? About time Apple makes their (very) expensive Watch last well beyond a full day me thinks! That was basically a complete non-starter for me as I'd rather just stick w/ an inexpensive Fitbit and just use my iPhone for basically everything else I might care about that the Watch otherwise offers -- not like I'm gonna leave my iPhone elsewhere in general afterall... though I guess the Watch certainly has the potential of improving on overall exercise experience (and some other small nuances), but not that much in my case so far.

4-5 days would be better, especially since battery life do generally degrade over time... and I hate the idea of having to upgrade more often than say every 3-4 years. But it's also good that Apple makes battery replacement/refreshing much easier and affordable for the Watch (unlike their other mobile devices)...

Guess I'll once again consider the Watch whenever I'm due for another refresh/upgrade from my current Fitbit -- might be another year or two though, which will hopefully bring further improvements/refinements (and even longer battery life) and/or greater affordability (for what I want/need in such)...

_Man_

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just to close the loop on Deliver-it...

So the whole reason I was opting for delivery on the 4th (which Apple has historically nailed, as far as getting your item on release date via FEDEX) was because I was out of town for a few days. So despite me giving them the access code through their site, they claimed on the 5th they couldn't get into the building. Then I asked for redelivery on the 9th, submitting that on their website on the 5th. They "tried again and couldn't get in the building" on the 6th. Because, you know. So I used the app/site again to both give the access code and to tell them to redeliver on the 9th (submitted on the 6th).

So I got back home on the 8th...and there it was sitting outside of my door. Luckily I live in a secure building and the neighbors look out for each other and for strangers. But despite twice telling them to redeliver on the 9th, and twice not being able to get into the building despite having the code, they finally got in and left it by my door on a day I specifically asked them not to deliver it by (but fortunately I got home early so it wasn't sitting out there long).

Unless and until I hear Apple has gone back to FEDEX (and maybe they do for more expensive things) I will be picking items up in store for the foreseeable future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks