What's new

Apple embraces self service repair (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think they’re the subject of several lawsuits/regulatory actions in Europe because of “right to repair” laws in those territories - I wonder if this is just a way to get ahead of that. Whatever the reason, good news.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Good move by Apple. I think contrary to their prior stance that this actually helps with customer loyalty.

I'm glad that it looks like someone actually wants to help lately (or make it easier).

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I'm with Gruber here: https://daringfireball.net/2021/11/apple_self_service_repair_program
No one actually wants to (or more to the point, is able to) repair their own iPhones.

Of more practical importance is this section of the Apple announcement:

Expanded Access to Apple Repairs

In the past three years, Apple has nearly doubled the number of service locations with access to Apple genuine parts, tools, and training, including more than 2,800 Independent Repair Providers. The rapidly expanding Independent Repair Provider program originally launched in the US in 2019 and has since grown to more than 200 countries, enabling independent repair shops to access the same training, parts, and tools as other Apple Authorized Service Providers.

For independent service providers, the ability to get Apple service manuals and parts might make the difference between being able to offer repair service, and not being able to offer it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Of more practical importance is this section of the Apple announcement:

For independent service providers, the ability to get Apple service manuals and parts might make the difference between being able to offer repair service, and not being able to offer it.
Turns out, that’s not new, been around for a couple years already.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Turns out, that’s not new, been around for a couple years already.

Then that means this might still be an issue?

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Then that means this might still be an issue?

_Man_
It means, in some estimations, that the announced repair policy for individuals is a big nothing burger because it's for the five people that can swap out an iPhone screen in their living room.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It means, in some estimations, that the announced repair policy for individuals is a big nothing burger because it's for the five people that can swap out an iPhone screen in their living room.
Yeah, that inability to swap parts was mentioned in an ifixit email and web article. Basically, you have to bu the parts from apple or you can’t repair the phone yourself or a shop can’t do it. Of course a lot of shops will have leftover phones they could raid for parts, but apple won’t allow it.

It’s nothing but corporate greed and we allow them to get away with it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The increasingly tight integration of hardware has benefits to us, the users. It leads to smaller, lighter, faster, hardware with longer battery life.

I’d be willing to sacrifice ultimate speed on a desktop to have upgraded RAM. But obviously on iPhone and iPad and Watch, non-upgradeable storage leads to smaller, more powerful devices. And I can see how that’s likely the case for laptops too.

As for corporate greed, with Apple I see it more as their institutional need for (quality) control. They surely don’t make any appreciable profits off hardware repairs. They’d make more money if their hardware was truly disposable, couldn’t be repaired at all, and we had to buy new stuff every two years.

But their iPhones for example are good for 4+ years. And you can repair a four year old iPhone to get another year or two out of it relatively cheaply. Compare that to buying a new $600 to $1000 iPhone. “Greed” is too facile and falls short.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I could be completely mistaken, but I think this new policy is simply Apple getting ahead of things and making it sound like it’s their idea, before EU regulators force them to do this anyhow - I’m a little out of date but I think they’re either being sued over there for not complying with existing right to repair laws and/or the EU is drafting legislation that would require it. Apple fought that kind of thing for years but I don’t think they can hold off that tide anymore through litigation.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That said, on this topic — which I am not well informed and not well read — it seems the repair is great PR and is getting the necessary spin even from tech savvy people to keep politicians out of their affairs for a bit longer. Without actually giving anything up of value.

And no one has made an easy case that this is in fact significant policy change by Apple.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
As for corporate greed, with Apple I see it more as their institutional need for (quality) control. They surely don’t make any appreciable profits off hardware repairs.
I disagree. First your pay for apple care. Then when you need a repair you pay another fee. That’s a pretty good racket.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I disagree. First your pay for apple care. Then when you need a repair you pay another fee. That’s a pretty good racket.
You pay $200 to repair a four year old phone to keep using years five and six. Apple loses out on selling a $1000 phone.

That's not a great profit motive. Repair money looks inconsequential or even detrimental to hardware and services profits.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
This appears to be a good thread to insert my opinion about Apple versus owner-care.

I am a fan of Dell Windows machines. Not only does Dell support all their machines dating back decades with drivers and downloadable-for-free repair manuals, but after a model is no longer in production they dump all excess parts to aftermarket eBay sellers.

For an example. A month ago I won an eBay auction at $48 for a non-working Dell Latitude 3500 laptop, which originally sold around $900. After examining it I found it needed three repair parts: a new jack for plugging in the charger, a heat sink for an NVMe SSD, and a new fan. I bought all three items off eBay for under $30.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275552309455
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264762724370
https://www.ebay.com/itm/334715048721

Used laptops have their disks removed for security reasons, so I bought an open-box NVMe SSD for $18.

For around 100 bucks I put together a decent Win 11 laptop. Dell's support makes this a decent option. Every component on a Dell PC has a small paper tag attached with a QR code and also in printing giving the internal part number. See the below photo of one of my 3500s as an example.

When Apple gives a similar level of support for their tech-savvy purchasers, maybe I'll buy from them.

Dead 3500 w battery.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks