What's new

Apple Cinema Display on a PC? (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Can this be done? I seem to recall a hack to make this work. I was hoping someone here knew something about it.

Thanks in advance,

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I do know that they work, you have to buy an adapter for them so that you can get it to work, as a matter of fact I remember that apple themselves sold the adapters.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Here is said adapter, but I'm unsure if it works with Windows computers.

I'd call Apple and ask. :)

EDIT: You'll need a graphics card with a DVI out on it. I think all ATIs from 7500 up have it, pretty sure a lot of NVidias do too. Check round back of your computer to see. :)

Again, still not sure if it will work with PCs even if they do have DVI out.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
It should work just fine. DVI is an industry standard output, as is USB, and power is pwoer. The ADC is just Apple's way of combining DVI video, USB (for the USB hub on the monitor), and power into one cable. The adapter should work just fine. The only question is I seem to remember Apple's newer monitors are controled totally via software, so you might not be able to configure brightness as much as you'd like. Not that it matters on a flat panel anyway, all you control with one is brightness, and the only time I lower even that on my iBook is when I'm running off battery. Otherwise full bright all the time.

So short answer is yes, but you need a $150 adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks