What's new

Apple and PC: the discussion continues. (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I have yet to hear one compelling reason why I should abandon the Mac platform and move over to Windoze. Quite frankly, I doubt anyone will ever be able to persuade me to move over to Big Bill and M$. The Mac OS is just such a breath of fresh air over the clunky Windoze systems of today.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Michael, no one's trying to convince anyone to switch to PC. We folks don't care whether you are using Mac or Windows. It is only Mac users who try to infect others with their zeal and only manage a few shaken heads in return.
As for me, i'm happy with all the platforms i use. All of them are good for specific tasks, and nothing beats PC's in versatility.

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
It is only Mac users who try to infect others with their zeal and only manage a few shaken heads in return.
Amen, brother! I find it hilarious that Mac users are so defensive about their religion computers, and so often want to compare Macs and pcs, while pc users generally don't give a shit about Macs and Mac users and wish they'd just shut up and get back to work.

That, and the constant whining I get from Mac using friends about this software or the other being unavailable on Macs. Well, boo hoo. News flash: if you insist on using the road less travelled, you shouldn't complain about bumps and potholes.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Your general health levels improve by being on a Mac.
Amen, Jack! As I read Steve's post above, I could envision that his blood pressure was rising exponentially as he hammered away at the keys on his keyboard. I use a Mac and my B.P. is regularly around 120/70. :D Come on over from the Dark Side, Steve...it may add a few years to you life.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I've also found that Mac users are better endowed than most people, if you know what I mean.

- Steve

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Macs grin at you every time you turn it on. I just know they're going to eat my hand one of these days :)
One thing I never understood. Is it so hard to just put an eject button on the outside of a floppy drive?
I know there's a bunch of CD drives that don't have them either ;)
Before Apple users can legitimately say Apple is better, they need to prove that Apple could write an OS that will run on several billion possible hardware/software combinations right out of the box :) True, MS is evil, and Windows isn't perfect, but you have to admit it's amazing it works as well as it does. I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that that's why the project to port MacOS to PC was canned.
Meanwhile, for the price of 1 equal G4 Mac setup, I'll enjoy a 3 PC renderfarm, each node of which has the seperate power of said Mac :)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Before Apple users can legitimately say Apple is better, they need to prove that Apple could write an OS that will run on several billion possible hardware/software combinations right out of the box
Of course that was already mathematically possible by at least system 7.
As for the new system itself, we know Darwin was originally ported to X86 in days. FreeBSD certainly runs on X86. FreeBSD in OSX already can format and read FAT32 better than any OS MS supports.
Mac users don't have CyberSTDs or any floppy "issues" either. :D

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
It is only Mac users who try to infect others with their zeal and only manage a few shaken heads in return.
You're discounting the not-infrequent rude anti-Mac responses, only some of which are from people that actually know what they're talking about :)
People mention the Mac religion, and the parallels are obvious: you have a group of people, some of which are former PC users, that have found the light and want to share the good news. And because they're in the minority and feel the oppression of the Wintel hegemony, they're desperate to keep their numbers up. The fact is, some current PC users would benefit from switching; some new users would be better of starting with a Mac. (Of course, the reverse is true to some extent, but Wintel is the default.) But evangelism (and advertising) is a blunt instrument, and very annoying to those that don't want to hear it for whatever reason.
//Ken

Michael*K

Screenwriter
One thing I never understood. Is it so hard to just put an eject button on the outside of a floppy drive?
What the hell is a floppy drive? :laugh: Why they still bother putting those things on Wintel boxes is a great mystery. You can't even fit a single PDF file on a floppy disk! Yo...Dell, HP...wake up and smell the coffee. It's the 21st Century gents...floppy disks are so yesterday.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

"They" (or you, if you choose to build your PC yourself) are more than happy to replace the floppy with a Superdiskdrive or Zip-drive, if you pay the few extra bucks for it. Why would they NOT put a floppy in by default? What is the default disk drive for a Mac?

/Mike

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I still use floppy discs :p)

The question of converting to the Mac religion isn't just, "Why should I get a Mac instead?," it's really, "Why should I pay so much more for a different computer?"

You can argue back and forth all you want, but Macs are a lot more expensive, and most people need a damn good reason to pay an extra couple of grand. The average user won't care about UNIX and whatnot- it's simply not worth the extra money.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
One reason to switch from Mac to Windows... Mac uses a garbage can, while Windows uses the more progressive recycling bin. Let's face it: Mac's will inherently waste bits. You might argue that they only waste the 1's since the 0's are nothing, right? I mean, how can you waste something that isn't even there? Well, I'll tell you. They aren't nothing, the 0's are actually "holes". The 1's are data, and the 0's are holes. Why do you think electricity flows from negative to positive, for Zarquon's sake? So, in summary, PC's save the environment by recycling bits and holes, while Mac's just throw them out. I heard it's originally because Mac's didn't have a modern operating system, and now they just do it out of stubbornness.

Martin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks