Apple & ABC TV Deal

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by chuck_b, Oct 12, 2005.

1. chuck_b

chuck_b Supporting Actor

In case you miss an ABC show, you can now catch it on your computer or new video iPod through the Apple iTunes store.

SAN JOSE (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc. (NasdaqNM:AAPL - News) on Wednesday introduced a version of its market-leading iPod that also plays videos and unveiled a deal with Walt Disney Co. (NYSE: DIS - News) to sell television shows like "Desperate Housewives" after their first broadcast.

As part of its deal with Disney's ABC network, iPod users will be able to download five shows including ABC's "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost." Current-season episodes of the series will be made available at the iTunes music store the day after broadcast.

The entire first season of "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost" will be available immediately. The television shows are only available in the United States and cost $1.99 per episode, without commercials.

The company also plans to offer music videos for $1.99 each at its iTunes online music store. It will also offer short films from Pixar Animation Studios Inc. (NasdaqNM[​IMG]IXR - News), which is also led by Jobs.

2. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

What will the quality be? I can get a pretty good looking HD download of Lost within hours of its broadcast sans commercials and I'm sure those are the folks they are competing against.

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I'll go for this if they're bug-free.

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'm only speculating but I doubt it's going to be bug free. I'd almost anticipate something along the lines of a scroll every few minutes like on a screener.

I guess it beats seeing "FRESH SMALLVILLE NEXT!!!!!" or "TAINTED MEDICINE ON STORE SHELVES, WE'LL TELL YOU WHICH ONES AT 11!" on the screen.

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Those scrolls turn people off and everyone knows it. There's no way they'd get good sales if that were the case, and it's not.

The virtual shelves of the iTunes Music Store now feature a video section. Music videos, Pixar shorts and select ABC and Disney television shows live right alongside songs, podcasts and audiobooks. Browse featured listings or search the archive to find just what you want, then click to buy. Once you do, you get stutter-free, ad-free video delivered directly to your desktop.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/videos/