Apple 2020 iPad Pro owners thread. Your computer is not a computer

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Any word on faceid for "laying in bed" use? That's one of my major use cases; I'm iPad-ing every night in bed. Unlocked with touchid is easy. If it's not easy with faceid, that's a big downgrade.
I use my iPhone more than the iPad so I can give you an answer based on that..

It shouldn't be too difficult. Your face has to be squarely in the camera field so it can read it. It can have difficulty in the dark reading faces. However, you'll get used to just lifting it up quickly to your face and have it log in.

I love Face ID. I greatly prefer it over touch ID.

Reactions: DaveF

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
Also: how do you access assistive touch features? I have my iPad set so triple-press of the home button drops the brightness to super low (like, slide the slider to the lowest, and then go below that). Is that stuff easy to get to with the new interface?

Sam Posten

Real Name
Sam Posten
Thanks, but I was asking you to back up your claim that "legions" of people are using the iPad Pro as a laptop replacement.
There's good pro and con information in the videos, the articles were specifically poohpoohing the idea.
Pro Only Computer articles
https://www.wired.com/2017/01/how-to-make-your-ipad-your-only-computer/
https://www.howtogeek.com/423446/ipados-will-almost-make-your-ipad-a-real-computer/
https://gizmodo.com/how-to-set-up-your-ipad-to-be-the-best-laptop-replaceme-1831361307
https://www.fastcompany.com/90259725/why-i-ditched-the-mac-to-work-exclusively-on-ipad-pro

Clearly toooons of students are using iPads (and hell, Chromebooks and other even lighter duty tablets from Apple, Samsung and beyond) to do their work. I understand it doesn't work for some people and that's fine. My argument is it's that the blanket statements that it can't work REALLY ARE disproved by those of us doing it. If it doesn't work for you, no sweat. But that doesn't stop those of us who do use it that way. Even more so with the new OS release today which is huge.

Rumors of Fall iPad release after Spring iPad Pro refresh are totally weird. I don't think it's "right" or "wrong".
I think you have been on the right track all along and your evaluation above is top notch. We have all been waiting for the transition and this is a big step towards it but WWDC -could- make the circle complete.

Reactions: DaveF

Sam Posten

Real Name
Sam Posten
If you want the deepest of deep dives on using an iPad as your -main/only- computer, you will want to read one or more of Frederico Vitticci's manifestos. The latest:
https://www.macstories.net/stories/beyond-the-tablet/

His style is way too verbose for me, but you can't deny his passion for it.

For me, it's not my only computer. I have way too many games in my steam library for that =p
But for a travel and work computer, it's plenty.

Last edited:

dpippel

HTF Premium Member
Premium
Real Name
Doug
Clearly toooons of students are using iPads (and hell, Chromebooks and other even lighter duty tablets from Apple, Samsung and beyond) to do their work. I understand it doesn't work for some people and that's fine. My argument is it's that the blanket statements that it can't work REALLY ARE disproved by those of us doing it. If it doesn't work for you, no sweat. But that doesn't stop those of us who do use it that way. Even more so with the new OS release today which is huge.

I'll have to look into those new features. However, I can tell you this from first-hand experience - I work at the largest public university in the United States and interact with students on a daily basis. The VAST majority of them are using laptops, not tablets (iPads or otherwise), to do their work. It's about an even mix of Windows machines and MacBooks, with a slight edge to Apple.

Reactions: Sam Posten

dpippel

HTF Premium Member
Premium
Real Name
Doug
Many public K-12 are chromebook based, with tablets also being used for web access. For them cost > all.

Yes, but K-12 students aren't making a choice here. They use whatever the public school system gives them to use, and as you mention, cost is the major factor, which means those school systems are mostly buying Android devices, not iPads.

Sam Posten

Real Name
Sam Posten
Yes, but K-12 students aren't making a choice here. They use whatever the public school system gives them to use, and as you mention, cost is the major factor, which means those school systems are mostly buying Android devices, not iPads.
Sure. It wouldn't be my choice, but no denying that it works.

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
I'm getting intrigued. Don't know when or how I'll justify a $300 keyboard stand for an iPad for funzies, but I'd like to if only to engage with the tech and UX advancements.

Ted Todorov

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
I'm getting intrigued. Don't know when or how I'll justify a $300 keyboard stand for an iPad for funzies, but I'd like to if only to engage with the tech and UX advancements.
So for the last 5 years we travelled with my wife's 12" Retina MacBook (original 2015 edition). It is pretty much dead (and 12" MacBooks no longer exist). At home she is now using my old 2013 15" MacBookPro - but - no way we would travel with that.
So - at a minimum the new keyboard stand will allow us to travel iPad Pro only - no Mac.
I have a feeling that once she gets to try it out for a while (I will get the 11" iPad Pro to replace our 9.7" original iPad Pro), she may decide it can completely replace her MacBook, and I will get her when/if she makes that decision a 12.9 iPad Pro. Other than habit, she is the perfect example of a Mac user who can switch to an iPad. Clearly the 12" MacBook screen was big enough for her (and that keyboard was pretty damn bad). Every single app she uses has an identical iPad version -- Mail, Safari, Pages, Photos, Messages, FaceTime, iTunes, Skype, etc.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darrosmed