What's new

Apple 2016 iPhone/Watch Event Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Biggest concern is the functional loss of charging and listening at the same time.

Not an issue if listening via wireless.
But for headphone options, car auxiliary, and wired backup while wireless is charging, this is a big misstep

Unless they provide a dongle with pass-thru charging, this is a fail for me

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ron, why don't you just keep using your current Apple Watch. That's what I'm doing. I don't go swimming with it. The main reason to upgrade the watch as I see it is if you need GPS. That's nice since I use the watch to track my cycling. I'm hoping with the new iOS, if I use the iPhone 7 near the original Apple Watch, it will track the route in Maps like they showed in the keynote.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Initial thoughts:

iWork - I use Numbers regularly for personal stuff. So I hoped for good improvements. But when companies pitch multi-user simultaneous editing, I tune out. Never seen it used professionally. Don't need it at home. I hope there are other updates not mentioned due to time.

Watch - I can't use a smart watch for professional reasons so I can't get excited.

iOS - looking forward to the new features!

iPhone - I want. The dual camera is a siren song overpowering my disinterest in the + models. And I'm excited about the new speakers; I listen to podcasts open air not infrequently. And I use speaker phone.

Airpods - I use headphones with both iPhone and iPad. This could be an annoying transition, juggling headphones and dongles. or an expensive one if I fix it buying new BT NC headphones.

As for the airpods themselves, they look really great. But at $160, they're not a fit for my own budget in the near term.

iPads - the unannounced bump to 32GB base changes my plans. I'll upgrade wife from iPad 3 to base iPad Air 2 and postpone my upgrade of Air 2 for another year.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The article failed to mention Apple's lightning dock which has a 3.5 mm headphone jack. So if you have that type of device, that would be another way to listen and charge at the same time.

-Keith

Hmm... is the lightning connector on such docks durable enough for frequent/daily disconnect/reconnect given how rigid it might be? That plus the Apple one doesn't seem to offer any back support for the phone to keep you from accidentally bending it too far while using the docked phone (or just doing whatever else)...

_Man_

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This concerns me: https://www.google.com/amp/www.thev...phone-7-announced-black-scratch?client=safari

I had planned to go with the Jet Black, but maybe not after reading the above.

The store is down at the moment so I can't change my favorite. I also wanted to look at watches again. I'm thinking about getting one, but I may need to go to a store to see the bands I person.

Not a big deal. Most of us buy cases for our phone. I just have to find a nice clear one to show off the black.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I tend to have mine in a case too, but it kind of defeats the purpose of the jet black color.

What do those of you who have Apple Watch think of it? I really thought I'd get the first one and didn't. Thinking about it again. I like a lot of what they have to offer, but I'm also getting back into wearing traditional watches again and trying to break the habit of constantly and instantly checking notifications.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
All these phones get scratched easily. All of them.
They get little dings, marks micro scratches.

I would never keep a phone uncovered.

One little drop and it's over.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I think I decided to put off preordering the iPhone 7 tonight because I'm still torn between the 7 and 7 Plus. I use the 6 now and it's OK for my daily needs. The Plus concerns me because it's big. But I like the camera. I like the possibility of the larger screen for showing images and easier web viewing. Just curious what you guys will be getting, the 7 or 7 Plus.

Regarding the Airbuds, I read a review of them by MacWorld were the author was at the Keynote. She tried them on. She was prepared to hate them. But she was surprised how good they sounded. And she tried dancing and shaking her head and they stayed in her ears. I figured Apple wouldn't have let them go out without being sure they would stay in place and be used in demanding situations.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
You probably made a good choice, Nelson. Store still isn't up.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
My alarm didnt get me up but I somehow woke up at 3:14. Got my upgrade order in in time for it to be available October 18th ish.

Sigh.

Fucked over for Gazelle I guess.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Apple Store opened 3:15. I placed order for jet black 256GB plus and already was delayed two weeks.

So this was a problem at the start of the gate.

I will give up my phone to Gazelle for two weeks before I compromise the price.

Besides I would bet our phones will ship earlier. Apple always under promises and over ships

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I never could get my order to go through. It got stuck trying to verify with AT&T. I'm irritated.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Re:cases
I don't use a case. I did with the 5s, because that was an uncomfortable design, too many weird edges. But the 6s is smooth and curved and comfortable.

The Bumper for the 4 was perfect. Grippy and protective without hiding the phone. I'd like a new bumper.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
As most of you are aware, the iPhone launch was botched again. Read this article:

http://appadvice.com/post/apple-fumbled-the-iphone-7-launch-again/721185

I ordered a Jet Black phone as soon as the store opened. The delivery date literally changed once it went from listing to going in my cart to finally accepting payment.

Those who ordered the Jet Black were screwed out of the gate. Apple did not have enough of this product to meet demand.

However, with all these problems, I am reading on many sites that Apple generally moves shipping dates up and that most people will get their phone sooner than promised.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks