Apparently My WM is P&S Supporters

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darren_Fu, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Darren_Fu

Darren_Fu Stunt Coordinator

Yup, I just went down to the local Wal-Mart and noticed the huge amount of copies they had of "A Beautiful Mind". They must have had about 60 copies on the shelf. The only problem I had was that about 56 of them were Full Screen Version. So of course, I started to dig through them. In the very back of this large pile was 4 Widescreen Versions. This is all I saw. Well I decided to do the right thing and take the 4 copies and spread them out all on the front of the display. I then went about grabbing a few things that I went in there for in the first place and about 10 minutes later, I passed by the display where I saw a guy scooping up the last widescreen copy. Oh well, I feel sorry for everyone else that will grab those 56 full screen copies. WM strikes again in my area. They definitely are PRO PAN & SCAN!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    DF

2. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Actually, the fact that there are more P&S copies might be good, because if there are only a few WS copies, and many P&S copies, that means the WS version is selling out much quicker.

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

That's surprising>...

Would you have a Best Buy near you by any chance? If so, shop there.

4. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I think the P&S vs WS sales race is starting to look up for us. According to Entertainment Weekly, both Harry Potter and Ocean's 11 sold more Widescreen copies than Full Frame. If this keeps up, especially with event films like Harry Potter, places like your Wal-Mart may not have a chance as to which one they get to sell! [​IMG]

5. Darren_Fu

Yeah, there is a BEST BUY near me. I live just outside Knoxville, TN. I decided not to buy ABM when I was at WalMart. I went over to Blockbuster and rented it first to see the transfer to DVD with all the extra features. Then, I will buy it in a week or so. Money is low right now. Can't really afford to get another movie until bills are taken care of!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    To my suprise, Blockbuster had about 30 copies avail for rent and ALL OF THEM were Widescreen Versions. They had no Full Screen Versions to rent, just to buy......Interesting!!
    DF

6. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

7. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis
    Since Walmart kind of skews the results, perhaps it is more accurate not to include them for a better comparison.

8. AlbertH

AlbertH Stunt Coordinator

this comes from a store who only sells edited cds.

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The Wal Mart near my house had two identical-sized boxes of the two versions. They also had both versions for all their other dual-release DVDs.

10. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

If I owned a video store, I'd only rent out OAR DVDs and VHS and some Laser Disc. ONLY OAR. I'd call it, KC'S OAR VIDEO STORE!! LOL If people bitch about the black bars, I'd educate them and I would put up posters all over the store explaining OAR. I definently would NOT stock Pan and Scan movies.

11. Darren_Fu

I am right with you Ken!!! I was proud to see that my Blockbuster had only Widescreen copies of A Beautiful Mind. I guess the OAR battle in Tennessee is definitely trying to stay away from Modified Full Screen Crap!!

DF

12. Darren_Fu

I just heard a story on my local news...stating that all the Blockbusters and Hollywood video stores in mine and the surrounding counties in East Tennessee are in the process of cutting the inventory of VHS in the stores and replacing them with DVD. A reporter interviewed a local BB Manager and he said that over 1/2 of all video rentals are in DVD format and that people are requesting OAR format if at all possible. I watched this and was loving ever minute of it. But after I watched this I got to thinking that within the past 6 months at the BB located closest to me, I would say the store is split up 1/2 DVD, 1/4 Video Games, and 1/4 VHS. So around here I guess it is a DVD lovers paradise.

This is all for now!!!

DF

13. Dennis_HT

Dennis_HT Agent

Thats good news Darren. We need to keep educating people on the benefits of OAR.

14. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

15. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Hey,
    those of you frequenting any of these walmarts...be sure and fill out a customer input card and either:
    A. tell them you wanted a widescreen version of a movie and couldn't find it
    or
    B. tell them "thanks" for stocking the widescreen version of a film as this is the format you prefer.
    Either way, leave a comment letting them know you want widescreen.
    p.s. you can also go to walmart's website and enter comments electronically. Some members of this forum have actually had the store manager call them back letting them know they would order widescreen movies due to their input. NO KIDDING!
    -dave

16. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Good idea to fill out the comment card. I normally never buy any DVDs at Wal-Mart, but it is probably a good idea to let them know there is a WS market. Wal-Mart may have more of an influence on P & S future than Blockbuster at this point in time.

17. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Walmart actually has the most influence about the P/S issue among *all* parties right now. They ask for it and the studios do it.
    Fill out those comment cards!
    dave [​IMG]

18. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

Went to Wal Mart for the first time in a while today.

--they hadn't put out today's releases (ST TNG 3, Jimmy Neutron, Shallow Hal).

--they went to look for them and 20 minutes later they came back with only Jimmy Neutron.

Anyway, I decided to pick up A Beautiful Mind while I was there. They were in a big cardboard thing with 2 rows of DVD Pan and scan on top an dVHS on the bottom. It was pushed up against a wall, and on the OTHER SIDE where you had to stretch to get them, were several WS copies. Also, every single Harry Potter and Mummy Returns were PS.

19. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Did you fill out a customer comments card and complain about the lack of WS for the other titles?

be sure and do it...Walmart takes the customer comments VERY seriously. They (customer comments) are the the reason they started asking for P/S from the studios to begin with.

-dave

20. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

A POSITIVE WAL-MART EXPERIENCE!!!!!
    I usually get my new releases Monday night after work(around 12:30am) and I went for Beautiful Mind last week. The clerk went into the back to get them and came out with a VHS and a fullscreen version. I quickly pointed out that Universal/Dreamworks made the two cases extremely similar with not even a color difference with the borders(like with other films such as Jurassic Park) and I requested the widescreen version. The clerk's reply:
    "Me too, you can miss alot of the movie with these fullscreen versions!"
    Now this floored me and I couldn't even talk legibly after that. So she went in back and brought me my nice widescreen version.
    Normally, I'd join in the WM bashing, but I thought this deserved to be said and proves there IS intelligent life at wal-mart(at least when she's on the clock).
    [​IMG]