Apparantly Titanic's the worst film ever...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I know that scene was in an early trailer but was it really in one of the TV spots too @TravisR ?
I just took Ben's use of TV commercial as an interchangeable term with trailer. Thinking about it, I would have guessed that they dropped by the time they made commercials but take a look at 0:16

They must cut the commercials from the same footage used for the trailer and since it's a shot that shows some physical action, they just used it despite being cut from the movie.

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I just took Ben's use of TV commercial as an interchangeable term with trailer. Thinking about it, I would have guessed that they dropped by the time they made commercials but take a look at 0:16

They must cut the commercials from the same footage used for the trailer and since it's a shot that shows some physical action, they just used it despite being cut from the movie.
Well there ya go.

Reactions: TravisR

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
What's crazy is that the movie is old enough that I remember reading the script online some time after the movie came out and thinking how my only hope to see any of the deleted stuff would be if they made a huge laserdisc box set (a la Terminator 2). Now I can type it into You Tube and see it all with no problem.

Also, crazy is that the movie is old enough that there were copies of the script that weren't printed with people's names on every page so it was just online with no apparent consequence or real concern from the studio.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I did watch it again last night, and wow, it's obviously a lot more impressive on a big 4k tv than watching short clips on youtube! I wasn't sure if I'd last through the whole movie in one sitting, but I did. The production design, costume design, and performances stood the test of time for me. That final death dream, where Rose sees not just Jack, but the musicians, the girl Cora, and the captain of the ship, still got to me a little. And David Warner's performance was even better than I remembered it.

I've been on two cruise ships that are both bigger than Titanic. In 2006 I went on Celebrity's Infinity, and in 2016 on the Celebrity Solistice. I think both of those trips, ironically, were inspired by this movie lol. Here's a short video about artifacts from the actual Titanic. I guess they are still sometimes going down there to pick up stuff from the debris field, or even going inside to get suitcases and stuff.

Very interesting documentary.Such a pity that the TITANIC exhibition that toured / is touring the world did not include any artifacts from the actual ship..That would have made the exhibition worth seeing.There have been two other liners that suffered a bigger loss of life than the Titanic but nobody seems to care about those - only the Titanic.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Very interesting documentary.Such a pity that the TITANIC exhibition that toured / is touring the world did not include any artifacts from the actual ship..That would have made the exhibition worth seeing.There have been two other liners that suffered a bigger loss of life than the Titanic but nobody seems to care about those - only the Titanic.
I'm more fascinated with the "Mary Celeste" but I like mystery.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I don't think this is the worst film ever made, it is obviously a beautiful and lavish production, but I will admit I have never made it through the entire picture. It is hampered, to me, by the same thing that bogs down most of Cameron's work...bad dialogue and lousy writing. To me having watched his pictures I think the lousy dialogue and bland writing is intentional because he does not value writing and is much more interested in how he is visually telling his tales. This has never really made me a fan of Mr. Cameron. My favorite pictures from him remain The Terminator and The Abyss. In The Terminator his coloring book writing/dialogue preferences actually enhance the story and at the time seemed to provide a perfect vehicle for Arnold's rather limited acting ability.

In something like this though where he is wedging in a treacly romance in the midst of his historical epic...well...it becomes a slog.

Worst film? No way. Typical Cameron, absolutely.

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think the lousy dialogue and bland writing is intentional because he does not value writing
You really think Cameron doesn’t value writing?? I think he loves writing as much as he loves directing.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
You really think Cameron doesn’t value writing?? I think he loves writing as much as he loves directing.
I think he likes a good story as much as the next guy but in terms of what he does in his pictures...well...I think his intent is always to keep the writing as clear and simplistic as a sledgehammer to the forehead. I do think he does that intentionally because he wants everything to be very specific and simple to understand. He's not big on subtle or gray areas because I believe he thinks those things do not appeal to most people.

He's obviously a bright guy so I am not saying he is anti-writers I just believe he does not want great writing because he will make the visuals great and the writing is not important. It is there as a color...a very bright easy to spot color. I think if you were to sum up his key rule when it comes to writing it would be "Keep it simple."

Tommy R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tommy
I’m in the “Cameron writes crap dialogue” camp. It doesn’t ruin his movies by any means, but I think a good dialogue polish would improve every movie he’s written. But he probably just doesn’t care.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Cameron’s screenplays are strong while I agree his dialog is sometimes weak.
The majority of a screenplay tends to be dialogue. Hence, it would seem most of his screenplays are weak. I don't think he does this by accident or because Cameron is inept, I think it is because he just wants the dialogue to be as simplistic and straightforward as it can be. I don't think he much cares about what the characters say as long as they say exactly what they feel or are about to do or want to do. He wants nothing there that makes an audience wonder what a motivation might be or that might shade what a character is feeling. It's meant to be as simplistic as "Let's eat, I'm hungry. Also I love you and I always will."

Then you show the characters eating and gazing lovingly at each other and they kiss at the end of the meal.

That's what he likes. Which is fine it is just not really what I like.

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The majority of a screenplay tends to be dialogue. Hence, it would seem most of his screenplays are weak
I don’t think you are getting my point. A screenplay can have zero dialog. It’s about structure. That’s what I mean by his screenplays are strong.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think if you were to sum up his key rule when it comes to writing it would be "Keep it simple."
Personally, I'd agree with that but in the case of Titanic, I also don't see that as a particularly damning criticism either. One of the strengths of Cameron's screenplay is making characters that are immediately and easily relatable to almost everyone in the western world. Put characters like that in an exciting or romantic situation and you've captured the attention of the vast majority of the audience (and the huge box office grosses all over the world backs that up). Another smart move he makes is using the modern day sequences to set up what will happen during the sinking so they don't have to waste screen time with characters explaining what's going on during the action sequences. Yeah, the dialogue is corny but I'd point out that I've heard alot more corny talk from people in my life than I've heard Oscar Wilde-worthy repartee.

And I'm paraphrasing/ripping off Roger Ebert but I agree with his idea that the most expensive movie ever made is not the place to reinvent the wheel. Not that Roger is the end all be all of film criticism (that's probably the only quote of his that I semi-remember) but with Titanic, I feel he's dead right.

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
For instance I have a friend who got sole screenplay credit for a successful film and not one word of the dialog was his.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smwe16