Apparantly Titanic's the worst film ever...

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
12: Number of dives it took for James Cameron and his crew to capture footage of the real Titanic wreckage, using a state-of-the-art camera system his brother Mike developed with Panavision exclusively for the production.

40: Acres of waterfront property south of Playas de Rosarito, Mexico, purchased by 20th Century Fox to house the production of the film.

$4,350: Cost, at the time, of the most expensive first-class suite available aboard the real Titanic (equivalent to $75,000 today).

17,000,000: Size, in gallons, of the water tank that was built to hold the exterior of the reconstructed ship.

24: Number of chiffon dresses made by costume designer Deborah Lynn Scott for Kate Winslet to wear during the latter part of the film.

$8,000,000: James Cameron's original salary for the film, which he forfeited (along with his percentage of gross) when the studio became concerned about the ballooning budget.

$115,000,000: James Cameron's ultimate total compensation for making "Titanic."

36: Number of hours the first rough cut of the film ran, according to composer James Horner.

194: Actual final runtime of the film (in minutes).

50: Number of times Jack says "Rose" throughout the movie.

$2,000,000: Kate Winslet's salary for "Titanic."

$2,500,000: Leonardo DiCaprio's salary for "Titanic."

11.8: Number of years James Cameron has been married to Suzy Amis, the actress who plays Rose's granddaughter, whom he met while making "Titanic." It's the longest-running of his five marriages.
160: Days of principal photography it took to shoot the movie -- 20 more than initially budgeted for.

$7,500,000: Cost to build the Titanic in 1910-12.

$200,000,000: Final cost of the production of "Titanic," the most expensive of the 20th century.

$28,638,131: Opening weekend gross of "Titanic," from December 19 to December 21, 1997.

$13,048,711: Amount of money "Titanic" made on Valentine's Day 1998, its biggest single-day gross during its theatrical run.

15: Number of weeks "Titanic" was No. 1 at the U.S. box office, from December 19, 1997 to April 2, 1998.

287: Number of days Titanic was shown in theaters nationwide.

$1,843,201,268: Total worldwide gross of "Titanic."

83: Overall percentage rating of the film on Rotten Tomatoes.

11: Number of Academy Awards Titanic won, including Best Picture, at the 1998 Oscars ceremony.

2: Number of other films that won as many Academy Awards as "Titanic" did ("Ben-Hur," "The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King").

1: Number of films that have grossed more than "Titanic," both domestically and worldwide (that would be James Cameron's own "Avatar"). ** written before Avengers
Endgame.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
The 1958 film A NIGHT TO REMEMBER was far superior to James Cameron's TITANIC which bordered on soap opera.All those digital people walking on the ship in the opening scenes looked terrible. Turning a historical and very tragic story into one that was mostly fiction ,was not the way to make a film on the TITANIC. I have watched A NIGHT TO REMEMBER numerous times and it always packs a punch.A Brilliant and very moving film . Cameron's version was A NIGHT TO FORGET.

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The 1958 film A NIGHT TO REMEMBER was far superior to James Cameron's TITANIC which bordered on soap opera.All those digital people walking on the ship in the opening scenes looked terrible. Turning a historical and very tragic story into one that was mostly fiction ,was not the way to make a film on the TITANIC. I have watched A NIGHT TO REMEMBER numerous times and it always packs a punch.A Brilliant and very moving film . Cameron's version was A NIGHT TO FORGET.
Yes those CGI people on the ship stick out like a sore thumb now, especially if you have a big monitor.

I like the film, and I really enjoy all 3 commentary tracks that are included on the disc.

Reactions: Tino

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The 1958 film A NIGHT TO REMEMBER was far superior to James Cameron's TITANIC which bordered on soap opera.All those digital people walking on the ship in the opening scenes looked terrible.
And none of the model work in A Night To Remember looks terrible? Both movies did the best they could with the tools they had at the time they were made.

Reactions: yamato72 and Tino

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I did watch it again last night, and wow, it's obviously a lot more impressive on a big 4k tv than watching short clips on youtube! I wasn't sure if I'd last through the whole movie in one sitting, but I did. The production design, costume design, and performances stood the test of time for me. That final death dream, where Rose sees not just Jack, but the musicians, the girl Cora, and the captain of the ship, still got to me a little. And David Warner's performance was even better than I remembered it.

I've been on two cruise ships that are both bigger than Titanic. In 2006 I went on Celebrity's Infinity, and in 2016 on the Celebrity Solistice. I think both of those trips, ironically, were inspired by this movie lol. Here's a short video about artifacts from the actual Titanic. I guess they are still sometimes going down there to pick up stuff from the debris field, or even going inside to get suitcases and stuff.

Reactions: Tino

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I'm just watching the c. 45 minutes of deleted scenes on the extra blu-ray. Most of the time I agree with the scenes that are cut, but there are maybe a total of c. 15 minutes or so I might include in an alternate extended cut, including the Marconi wireless scenes/Californian, a scene of the captain trying to call a lifeboat back, a scene in the exercise room, the Rosalie and Isidor scene, maybe the kiss in the coal/boiler room, and most of all this scene with Loveyoy in the sinking dining room. Was this slug that Jack gives to Lovejoy in one of the tv commercials? I love the lighting in this scene, and how the water is filling up the whole time. Also it shows how and why Lovejoy is beaten and bloodied at the end when Titanic splits and what seem like the gates of hell open for him.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm just watching the c. 45 minutes of deleted scenes on the extra blu-ray. Most of the time I agree with the scenes that are cut, but there are maybe a total of 10 minutes or so I might include in an alternate extended cut...
There's plenty of good scenes that got dropped (alot of the historical stuff) but the only one that I wish was still in the movie was the scene with Jack and Rose walking back to First Class while singing "Come Josephine". Using the song and her looking up at the stars earlier in the movie plays nicely into her floating on the wood after the ship sinks (the song coming back still works with the 'I'm flying' scene but the third time's the charm? :) ). Plus, seeing them having fun and being kids is an enjoyable character moment.

Was this slug that Jack gives to Lovejoy in one of the tv commercials?
Yep.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smwe16