What's new

Apparantly Titanic's the worst film ever... (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I disagree. If comparisons between two films must be made, it is unreasonable to compare individual aspects (ie, FX were better on this than that) if the films were playing by different rules.
Who's comparing? Besides answering Seth's challenge, I just said that I find some films to be bigger failures & harder to watch than others which is why I don't mind seeing them on lists like this, especially since lists such as these mean nothing to me.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I disagree about Batman and Robin.
Oops, I forgot this was also near the top of the list.

To me, this film WAS Ed Wood with a Budget. Worst ever, hard to say, but I wouldn't knock a list for having it on it as one of the worst.

To me the point of lists is never to get it EXACTLY right, but rather to acknowledge that some variation in quality is noticeable. It is the appreciation of the film arts that allows us to recognize when those arts seem to be in less existence. From there on it becomes a point of discussion, learning, and even greater appreciation.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Titanic is crap. It's a mooshy-wooshy lovey-dovey effects-laden-cripefest if you ask me. The one redeeming value of the film was seeing Kate Winslet's boobs across a 50ft screen... THAT made it worth the price of admission ;) :b

People trash AI saying that it would have been better if Kubrick had done it! It would have been better if Kubrick had done it...

...but the truth of the matter (source: Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Picture) is that Kubrick brought the idea to Speilberg and asked him to direct it (with him as executive producer). The story is exactly the same as the one given to him by Kubrick.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
The poll is just stupid.
Of course, it is stupid and ridiculous. Anyone who even lends credence to this list does not have any ounce of credibility as they are also acknowledging that Freddie Got Fingered, which didn't make the list, is better than any of the films listed. :laugh:

~Edwin

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
It's funny that 3 of those films are on my worst list. Yes, there are technically worse films than what are on that list. They should have just changed the title of the poll. Most over-bloated?, Pretentious?, Insulting? At least Plan 9 didn't try and throw a $10,000 paint job on a $500 Hyundai. You know, there must be a reason some of these films are continually battered. Some of these films insult a portion of the population for some reason or another. I don't quite get the argument if you can't check your brain at the door, you don't have love of film? (slight paraphrase)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm sorry, but that's the silliest thing I've heard.
Guess you haven't heard much then.:D

My comment was in regard to George claiming that his "unpopular" opinions were upsetting Titanic fans. I was trying to convey that I for one never get upset at someone else's opinions. Do you really care if someone hates the film you love? I don't. That was my point.

And speaking of silly statements, didn't you once say Mike that you don't have to see a film to hate it??;)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Gaah! Stop that! Sneaking up on me eh? Post#57...what's that? Being a bit cryptic aren't we? :D

So are we all finally in agreement that Titanic is the greatest film ever made about a big ship hitting an iceberg and sinking plus the added bonus of Kate Winslet taking her top off eh? ;)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I would have walked out of titanic if i hadn't known she was gonna take her top off.

But then I'm the kind of person who found AI not so great too. I definitely am NOT a spielberg fan either (except for Duel).

Titanic is one of those worthless movies that isn't well done, nor does it have any meaning. If I want that kind of a movie, I'll go watch bond or star wars. :thumbsdown:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Wow, a member that hates Bond Films, Star Wars films (read that last paragraph closely;)), Titanic, Jaws, Raiders, E.T., Close Encounters etc...

What do you like??:D

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
And speaking of silly statements, didn't you once say Mike that you don't have to see a film to hate it??
Maybe, I don't remember. But I do believe that one can tell a lot about a movie by its premise, stars, director, trailers, etc. So I can tell whether or not a movie will hold my interest without watching it. Life is too short to sit through movies that I know have a big chance of boring me.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I like Cameron, but I think Titanic is easily his worst film, with a lousy script. It finally Ickes in once the ship hits the iceberg, but it's a real slog to get there.
I'm a massive fan of James Cameron but I think Avatar is easily his weakest effort (not counting Piranha II since I believe his story about being fired early on). I love Titanic but will admit that its script isn't exactly original and I agree with Roger Ebert when he said that the most expensive movie of all time isn't where you try to reinvent the wheel. That being said, the production design, recreation of the time period, Cameron's direction, the chemistry between the leads, the editing, the score and the effects (for their day) are all stellar.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I love Cameron’s Titanic but I’ve said previously the dialog, not the screenplay which is constructed ingeniously, is sometimes cringeworthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks