Apparantly Titanic's the worst film ever...

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I don’t think you are getting my point. A screenplay can have zero dialog. It’s about structure. That’s what I mean by his screenplays are strong.

Hitchcock and Bergman were masters of structure and sometimes having no dialogue. Sadly it is rarely the case to-day.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Personally, I'd agree with that but in the case of Titanic, I also don't see that as a particularly damning criticism either.
No, I don't think it is damning criticism either. I think you are correct, he does it and repeats doing it because he believes it works and the proof is in the amount of money his pictures have made. You never walk out of a Cameron picture wondering about what he was trying to say and what his characters were up to or what the story was about. He always boils all that down to the very basics and I do agree with him that this is what many people want in a piece of escapist entertainment.

He's outstanding with the visuals, I don't think anybody could argue that. He seems to love the effects process. His dialogue tends to be awful and the way he wants to tell his stories is as simplistic as "fit flap A into slot B" which I guess is a bit old fashioned but he wants everything that way so really he can dazzle you with the visuals and you don't have to be distracted by story or dialogue.

With Titanic he is meshing the historical tale, and he obviously was obsessive about all the mechanics of how the ship went down and playing that out, and the love story which is pure pablum. I mean, that aspect of it, outside of if perhaps you like the two actors, is pretty horrid in my opinion. I'm in the camp of you did not need that because the historical tale is so interesting and I would have preferred he tried to shoot more for telling the tale or tales of people that were on the ship.

So to me this just falls right in line with his lousy writing and story ideas. I am there to see the tale of the Titanic and he keeps wandering off into this Z grade romance that is so sadly composed as to make it intolerable to watch. Hence why I never made it through the whole picture.

When he did Aliens I thought, "OK, I understand what he is doing and why."

Scott made this great atmospheric suspense picture and really you could not top that or make something even more suspenseful and so he made an action picture instead. Pitting soldiers against an unstoppable force that just kept coming. Basically Zulu in space. That totally worked. Yes, it's got the goofy dialogue but in the context of the film it becomes quotable.

He's really clicking there and in a picture like Terminator where he has this man/machine/monster of few words as the unstoppable force hunting down a woman. You can kind of take the Howard Hawks approach to this as what he seemed to do is take that from Terminator and insert it into the Alien universe. Just big bugs instead of Arnold.

Hawks was famous for saying a filmmaker just takes the same picture and remakes it over and over. I think Cameron, if you look at his body of work and now with just doing a whole bunch of Avatar pictures, just shows very little interest in saying anything with story. Each picture is just another excuse to play with new visual ideas. That's his contribution to filmmaking.

I've always felt he would make much better films if he hired good writers and shot their scripts because then you'd get the dazzling visuals with a much better told story. If he did that, basically, he would be Ridley Scott.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I don’t think you are getting my point. A screenplay can have zero dialog. It’s about structure. That’s what I mean by his screenplays are strong.
Well, I understand the idea of being a great structuralist but I would not put Cameron in that category either. Also while I agree with your point, Cameron does not make art films with zero dialogue. Titanic is loaded with dialogue and it is pretty lousy most of the time.

Don't get me wrong here, I am not saying it as a criticism of Cameron because as I said I believe it is intentional on his part. So, he is accomplishing what he set out to do. I think you can give him high marks for that. I am just saying I don't much care for the writing in most of his pictures. I'm talking about my preference, of course.

In Titanic I really want to see the story of the Titanic and Cameron visualizing that is a fantastic idea. I think if I try to make it through the film again it will have to be with the remote in my hand so I can fast forward past all the stuff that, for me, bogs the thing down.

Reactions: Tino

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm in the camp of you did not need that because the historical tale is so interesting and I would have preferred he tried to shoot more for telling the tale or tales of people that were on the ship.
I get that. It’s an oft repeated criticism of the film. But every Titanic film previously made already did that. I applaud him for taking a different approach. Whether he succeeded or not is obviously a matter of personal opinion. But that $1.8 billion gross worldwide sure seems to imply that he did. ;)

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
35 years ago today, the Titanic was discovered by Robert Ballards team.

On this day, 35 years ago, on September 1st 1985 at 00:48, the wreck of the RMS Titanic was found!

The wreck was finally located, 13.2 miles from the inaccurate position transmitted by Titanic's crew while the ship was sinking, a joint French-American expedition led by Jean-Louis Michel of IFREMER and Robert Ballard of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. The key to its discovery was an innovative remotely controlled deep-sea vehicle called Argo, which could be towed above the sea bed while its cameras transmitted pictures back to a mother ship.

#Titanic2020 #RMSTitanic #Titanic108 #RMSTitanicWreck #HistoricShipsNetwork

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Just an amazing moment in history. Some historical context. I was lucky enough to visit the National Geographic museum in DC about 20 months ago. They had an exhibit on the "Untold" story of this discovery. In truth, the expedition and the technology were funded to map and collect data on the USS Thresher and USS Scorpion wrecks, the two nuclear attack submarines lost in 1963 and 1968 respectively (with all hands). The Navy needed a cover story for the expedition, and searching for the Titanic was it. Any available time after finding the two submarines would be granted to the team to search for the Titanic. Once they completed their work of the two existing wrecks, they had twelve days to search for the Titanic. They found Titanic on the 11th day.

The museum had a significant amount of history about the submarines, their loss (and their crews), and the mission to map and study their wrecks. It also had the sail of the Alvin, some of the pieces from the survivors and debris field (including JJ Astor's pocketwatch and his wife's lifejacket, together again more than a century later), and quite a few of the props from the 1997 film (to include the necklace and hero costumes from the sinking), to give a sense of the life onboard. More critically, there was a nearly full listing of the crew and passengers, along with their outcomes.

Attachments

Reactions: TravisR and Tino

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlramS