Apologizing in advance for dumb question about bi-wiring

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by pitchman, May 21, 2004.

1. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    I just picked up a pair of Polk Audio RTi4 bookshelf speakers and when I got them home, I discovered they are set up for bi-wiring. I took a quick look at the back of my receiver (Panasonic SA-HE100K) and saw that it has two sets of speaker inputs (A&B.) The Panasonic documentation does not specifically mention bi-wiring but does reference how to set up 2 sets of speakers. Now for my questions...

Can I bi-wire these speakers using this receiver? Will bi-wiring make a noticable difference? Does the fact that only two speakers out of seven being bi-wired make a difference?

2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

yes, you can certainly biwire them, but mind you, biwiring does NOT involve using the A+B speaker outputs (outputs, not inputs); that would probably be considered "bi-amping" (arguable), which is probably NOT what you want to do.

with biwiring, 2 wires are run to each speaker's 2(+) and 2(-) posts from only 1 single receiver (+) and (-) output for each channel.

biwiring only some speakers is fine.

will biwiring make a difference? doubtful, but try it. generally, it can't hurt.

3. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

My impression on bi-wiring was to use two seperate amplifiers; one for the woofer, the other for the midrange/tweeter, using an external crossover, et cetera, et cetera.

Not that I've ever got involved with that.. just my impression.

Leo Kerr

4. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

no, that is bi-AMPing

biwiring uses a single amplifier channel per speaker.

5. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Thanks for the clarification guys. I guess I will just leave well enough alone, since it sounds like with my particular configuration, it will not make a huge difference one way or the other. Thanks again!

Gary

6. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Search the forums for bi-wiring. Specifically, try the Speakers forum, and the Tweaking forums....this forum isn't exactly the one that deals with this stuff. You'll find lots and lots of bi-wiring info there.

7. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

so if we might continue this 'primer' on bi-wiring...

...what possible good can bi-wiring do, apart from using, say, 2 runs of 14ga to get the equivalent of 11ga?

I don't get this.

Leo Kerr

8. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

search elsewhere, too. you'll find plenty of info about it. none conclusive, mind you.