1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Apologizing in advance for dumb question about bi-wiring

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by pitchman, May 21, 2004.

1. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    I just picked up a pair of Polk Audio RTi4 bookshelf speakers and when I got them home, I discovered they are set up for bi-wiring. I took a quick look at the back of my receiver (Panasonic SA-HE100K) and saw that it has two sets of speaker inputs (A&B.) The Panasonic documentation does not specifically mention bi-wiring but does reference how to set up 2 sets of speakers. Now for my questions...

Can I bi-wire these speakers using this receiver? Will bi-wiring make a noticable difference? Does the fact that only two speakers out of seven being bi-wired make a difference?

2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

yes, you can certainly biwire them, but mind you, biwiring does NOT involve using the A+B speaker outputs (outputs, not inputs); that would probably be considered "bi-amping" (arguable), which is probably NOT what you want to do.

with biwiring, 2 wires are run to each speaker's 2(+) and 2(-) posts from only 1 single receiver (+) and (-) output for each channel.

biwiring only some speakers is fine.

will biwiring make a difference? doubtful, but try it. generally, it can't hurt.

3. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

My impression on bi-wiring was to use two seperate amplifiers; one for the woofer, the other for the midrange/tweeter, using an external crossover, et cetera, et cetera.

Not that I've ever got involved with that.. just my impression.

Leo Kerr

4. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

no, that is bi-AMPing

biwiring uses a single amplifier channel per speaker.

5. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Thanks for the clarification guys. I guess I will just leave well enough alone, since it sounds like with my particular configuration, it will not make a huge difference one way or the other. Thanks again!

Gary

6. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Search the forums for bi-wiring. Specifically, try the Speakers forum, and the Tweaking forums....this forum isn't exactly the one that deals with this stuff. You'll find lots and lots of bi-wiring info there.

7. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

so if we might continue this 'primer' on bi-wiring...

...what possible good can bi-wiring do, apart from using, say, 2 runs of 14ga to get the equivalent of 11ga?

I don't get this.

Leo Kerr

8. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

search elsewhere, too. you'll find plenty of info about it. none conclusive, mind you.