What's new

Apollo 13 WS Collectors edition for $19.99 at SamGoody.com - Is that a good deal? (1 Viewer)

Rodon

Second Unit
Don't know why but I went in to Sam Goody and they had Apollo 13 WS Collectors edition for $19.99. Checked their site and it was also $19.99. Not sure how good a deal that is but it looked good and they are pretty reliable vs some other online vendors. Their prices are usually sky high in my opinion but I did not think this was too bad.
Link

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Actually, that is a REALLY GOOD price... this DVD still has Universal's old price point of $34.99 MSRP. So for $19.99 go for it! :)
FYI: DeepDiscountDVD.com has it for $27 for comparison.

Rodon

Second Unit
I bought it toniight at the store and figured I would check online for everyone else. I like the movie - did not mind $20 vs Bestbuy's $34 price tag at my local store if they even still have one. Probably would have bought the DTS version had they stocked it but does not look like it is available. Awesome movie anyway IMO.

Clint B

Second Unit
I've heard that the DTS version has awesome sound, but it does not have the fantastic extras of the DD version, which include a commentary track from the real Jim Lovell and his wife, Marilyn.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I love this disc and it's a steal at $19.99. Bought mine three years ago on Black Friday. :) I don't have the DTS version, but I love the commentary tracks and additional content on the disc.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the Collector's Edition with the extras is available at Columbia House as an enrollment. I have the DTS version and I think I will get the Collector's version - which does have a noticably sharper picture than the DTS version.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Not everyone wants to deal with the hassle of joining Columbia House, getting their required number DVD's and then cancelling.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Not everyone wants to deal with the hassle of joining Columbia House, getting their required number DVD's and then cancelling.
I hardly consider making two phone calls a hassle (one to join and one to cancel when you are complete). Furthermore, some people may not be aware of just how much money you save. I just ordered Fight Club (2-disc), Gladiator, and Apocalypse Now for $23.22 total, including tax and shipping - with no further obligations. I could have ordered BOTH versions of Apollo 13.
I've done five different accounts before and always get similar deals.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
mediaplay.com shows it for $17.99 but not sure what version it is. One WS dvd is shown as unavailable and the shows ships in 2-3 days. No mention of dts.

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
walmart.com shows the WS version for 14.23+2.98 for shipping, for a total of $17.21. Haven't ever shopped there before; Apollo 13 CE is great to have for under $20, IMHO. Universal never does any markdowns, so you can't get much cheaper than that unless you go used. Great disc, but the DTS does sound better, especially with its full bitrate. I always hate having to decide between DTS and DD Universal releases, since the DTS is always barebones, but the extras on DD CE of this release are definitely worth watching and keeping. The choice is yours.

Users who are viewing this thread