What's new

"Apollo 13" (Via Spacecraft Films) --- 3-Disc Set Coming October 15, 2004 (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Spacecraft Films will release a 3-Disc DVD set of "Apollo 13: The Real Story" on 10/15/2004.

Sounds like a great set of DVDs, chronicling every conceivable aspect of the near-disastrous Apollo 13 mission from April 1970. ..........

"This 3-DVD set features the complete TV transmissions and onboard film from the voyage, and includes footage from training and preparation for the mission, including EVA training, explanations of the planned mission that was never completed, as well as coverage of rollout, suit-up, launch, recovery, extensive mission control footage during the days following the accident, recovery footage, and footage of world reaction to the successful homecoming of the crew.

Aside from Apollo 11, the mission of Apollo 13 is probably the best known and most well-documented of the Apollo missions. This set presents the real record of the mission in a way never seen before. The complete record of the incredible voyage of Apollo 13."
-- Spacecraft Films/Red Pepper Creative, Inc.

Lots more fascinating details listed in link below .......

http://spacecraftfilms.com/apollo13.htm

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I've got the Apollo XI set from this series. It's interesting but not perhaps as exciting as you might suppose. There's a wealth of archive material, but to a non-expert like myself it's all a bit baffling after a while. However, a real highlight is listening to Neil Armstrong's debriefing session re: landing on the moon. You see the film of him setting foot on the Moon, and all the while he's discussing arcane technical details. It just seems surreal.

Having said that, I've been looking forward to the Apollo XIII release and will definitely get it.

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
Is there any difference between the Spacecraft Films releases and the Fox releases of these titles? And which titles have been released so far by Fox?

I picked up 7 so far I think.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

I don't believe there is any difference, except slightly different packaging design.

Two other future Spacecraft titles that look interesting are ......

>> "LIFTOFF!" --- SINGLE-DISC DVD FEATURING SUCCESSFUL, AND UNSUCCESSFUL, LAUNCHES OF ALL TYPES -- (NOVEMBER 15, 2004).

>> "DEVELOPMENT OF THE SPACE SHUTTLE (ALT, STS 1-STS 4) -- (AUGUST 15, 2005).

A multi-disc program featuring STS-51L (the doomed Challenger mission of January 28, 1986) is also planned, the last I heard. Although I'm still trying to figure out how the heck they can possibly fill up 2 or maybe 3 discs with STS-51L material, chronicling a mission that lasted just 73 seconds. I'm guessing it will go into super detail on the Challenger disaster investigation.

I could be wrong, I suppose, regarding the number of discs planned for that Challenger DVD. Perhaps it'll be just 1 disc. Seems logical that it would be a much shorter program. Although I suppose such a DVD could show the crew's pre-flight training, plus the rollout to the pad, suit-up, etc. ... That DVD, though, might just be too tough to watch however, knowing what's about to happen just a minute after lift-off.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
BUMP FOR................

CHALLENGER DISASTER 20TH ANNIVERSARY..............

Today marks the 20th Anniversary of the Space Shuttle "Challenger" accident of January 28th, 1986. Seven people were killed aboard STS-51L that day (six astronauts, plus the first "Teacher In Space", Christa McAuliffe).

Spacecraft Films is still showing this STS-51L/Challenger 3-DVD Set on its website. Per the current info, it's supposed to be coming out today (01/28/2006), but obviously that is not going to happen. But hopefully it will get released at some point in 2006.

Some STS-51L info follows ......

http://spacecraftfilms.com/future.htm

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/...sion-51-l.html

http://images.google.com/images?q=Sp...=Search+Images

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks