Apollo 13: The Chopscreen Experience Sept 20

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Kleist, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Apollo 13, blown up from Super35 to IMAX proportions (in case you ever wanted to see what film grain looked like REALLY REALLY BIG) and formatted to fit your screen will be hitting on Sept 20.

$10 a ticket to watch pan&scan, don't think so

2. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    To be fair, I think it has been digitally worked over to smooth over the grain, the original negative has been opened up since Super 35 allows this, and I'm not sure (but wouldn't be surprised) if the effect shots were recomposited as well.

Although, the $10 price is plenty to keep me away from a movie I own on both LD and DVD. Besides, IMAX sets off my motion sickness (not that it's hard to set off).

I know you hate Super 35 Jeff, so I'm not arguing that the film will look perfect in IMAX, just that it's not been toyed with at all to compensate for it. Any 35mm film blown up to IMAX will show some grain unless toyed with.

3. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

We had a discussion about this about 2 months ago when it was announced that IMAX had developed a process to enlarge standard films without addinng grain. A test was done to the satisfaction of Ron Howard and he did say some scenes would have to be reformatted. It's called "DMR". Here's the stie:
    http://www.imax.com/secondary.html?p...atic.html&s=no

4. Jeff Kleist

The effects cannot be recomposited more than likely, totally REDONE. According to my friends in the FX industry, the software that it was created on is likely no longer in existance,or it would take MONTHS to convert a stuido over to the old technology.

And many scenes involve bluescreen, so open matting is impossible.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I know the effects of reformatting for P&S, but aren't you being a little too biased?

You haven't seen one frame of the IMAX version, yet you "know" that it'll be bad. I think it probably will be poor (the IMAX Sorceror's Apprentice was awful), but I saw it for myself. Then, again it could be letterboxed 2.35:1 for all we know.

It's not really helping anything if you're making claims without seeing the finished product.

6. Jeff Kleist

Patrick, it has been prescreened. It's Pan&Scan confirmed

7. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

The film has indeed been recomposited for the IMAX format as Ron Howard said at a news conference. One thing however, nobody will be forced to see it in phoney IMAX. So no big deal IMHO.