Apollo 13 special edition region 2 DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by andySu, Aug 23, 2006.

1. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Just brought Apollo 13 special edition, priced at £6.00 pounds at (ASDA store) Holdenhurst Road. Thou I have three other versions this now makes four version of this true life drama about the failed mission that was called the (successful mission) with a damaged cryo oxygen tank leaking air, vital to the crews survival and electrical power also failing the odds to bring them back home was an incredible feat of human ingenuity and determination.

Now the sound aspect of the films highlight, presented in six-track Dolby digital surround and dts, I’m starting to wonder if this version will be plagued with any errors. The first edition of (Apollo 13) on region 2 DVD has an audio fault where all the centre channel information during the nightmare sequence drops to around -15db it just drops, until the nightmare ends, where all returns back to normal.

Now I will be focus very hard on this mix, and comparing it to the reference (THX laserdisc dts) I’m betting the sound will still be less than perfect of the (THX laserdisc dts) I will also be testing it against the first edition region 2 dvd, anyway I’ll report back later with a final conclusion on the sound status.

Image and framing, thou filmed in none anamorphic, shot in the (super35) with the framing of the film in the cinema was one of very good, excellent, the framing on the laserdisc is slightly cropped on the sides slightly and on the first edition region 2 DVD a bit of is exposed more of the bottom part of the frame is also visible. Brightness is another issue I’ll be looking at to see if there is in change in the brightness, as well as colour and sharpness.

Now I understand that the film is available on (Blue Ray) or is it HD-DVD one can never tell with the stupid format war. Well as soon as one of the other is available in the UK I will be looking closely at specification and price, I must say I am really unsettled with this format war.

http://img.tesco.com/pi/entertainmen...636_DV_L_F.jpg

http://img.tesco.com/pi/entertainmen...636_DV_L_B.jpg

2. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Apollo 13 A&B test

The fuel is coming down the manifolds this is the fuel pumps sequence with the special edition region 2 DVD playing the surrounds only, with all the other channels turned off the surrounds come in at 89dbC on my reference surround set-up. Now with my reference THX dts laserdisc the surrounds come in at 92dbC god DVD really sucks and I really can’t see HD-DVD or Blue Ray improving the stakes sure for DVD to DVD comparison might be considered fair and justifiably but really bring back THX DVD certification because the majority of DVD that I have come across over the years is absolutely disgraceful.

Quality control is what I want I really hope the THX division is reading this more THX quality control over region 2 DVD please, please.

Now the dts you would really expect it to be top-notch on region 2 DVD well it isn’t sorry to say this but the fuel pumps come in at 89dbC just how worse can it get. Well at least there is no problem with the nightmare scene that is perfect no dropping out of the centre channel information on this version that’s a plus.

Now with the first edition region 2 DVD the fuel pumps comes in at 90.5dbC now then beware of special editions I really think Ron Howard, was stoned when he gave this the thumbs up NOT! Because I doubt very much he checked his film over now that’s poor film management and Universal Pictures fault also what kind of donkeys do they employ I doubt very much there real film lovers, what a bunch of donkeys.

What I have noticed is the film doesn’t look like the film that I have come to like, what in the hell is wrong with Ron Howard, how can he give the ok to have the text that should remain within the film frame replaced with this, I really don’t won’t to say the words I’m not pleased with this version by right I should take it back and get my money back, but at £6.00 pounds UK there’s no point crying over spilled milk is there.
    Well at the end of the day there is light at the end of the tunnel, hail to Apollo 13 on the THX laserdisc format.

So the first edition looks has it was shown and I can see the same problem with the HD-DVD version, that is with the text and what really fangs me to the teeth is these AV vulture reps saying how good it looks, those DONKEYS are so blind the talk bullshit, no I am really angry, it’s a good job I used to be a projectionist.

Audio commentary is the same what is Ron Howard’s and Universals game here do they think most of us are donkeys hell no, the only thing is the shame that is falling on Universal and Ron Howard’s head because this version is starting to stink and it will remain on the DVD bookshelf now and will hardly get viewed shame on you Universal shame on you Ron Howard, I find it insulting!

I’ll monitor the sub bass LFE.1 only next and give you my findings on the A&B test later, it will be rather interesting and my money is on the (THX dts laserdisc)!
    Apollo 13 on (THX laserdisc dts).

Sound 10/10
    Picture 8/10

Apollo 13 DVD first edition region 2 DVD

Sound 8/10
    Picture 10/10

Apollo 13 special edition region 2 DVD

Sound 7/10
    Picture 7/10