What's new

APOLLO 13 -- DTS or DD version: which is better? (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Magnus, the image is at its native resolution, just cropped (to save space on my poor server).
From a previous thread here are some additional figures:
Dolby Digital
combined soundtracks (448kbps x 3, 2 x 96kbps) = 1536kbps
Average title (2:19:35) bit-rate = 5.82Mbps
Average title bit-rate minus audio = 4.284Mbps
DTS
combined soundtracks (1509kbps x 1, 1 x 192kbps) = 1701kbps
Average title (2:19:35) bit-rate = 7.41Mbps
Average title bit-rate minus audio = 5.709Mbps
The DTS version is quite noticeably softer than the Dolby Digital version, but the colour balance is, in my opinion, better on the DTS version. The Dolby Digital version is very red. Neither is all that great by recent standards.
Adam

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Bumping this thread after about 4 years....

I just ordered a used copy of the DTS Apollo 13 disc, and after reading the comments in this thread I have to ask one question, which depending on who even bothers to read this, may not be answered:

Everyone who chimed in with opinions on which is better - the CE or the DTS said basically the same thing, that they REPLACED one with the other.

Why?

All those remarks about replacing instead of supplementing the discs people had make no sense to me, especially considering the disappointment felt afterward. Where's the logic in outright replacing a disc when you want the extras on one and the sound on the other? I mean isn't it a win-win situation to just have both versions without getting rid of one? Not just Apollo 13, but well, any title?

I never bought the Anniversary version, and I won't be replacing my CE with the DTS when it arrives, because that makes no sense to me considering they aren't the same. If it were a case of one release having everything the original did and then some, then a replacement would make sense but Apollo 13 just isn't in that situation.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Nicholas Martin said:
Bumping this thread after about 4 years....
Where's the logic in outright replacing a disc when you want the extras on one and the sound on the other?
Well, I can only speak for myself, but I wanted the extras on the DD one, so I replaced my dts one, since it didn't seem to have superior sound as far as I could hear on my equipment, so to me, this was a win-lose situation...
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Mikael Soderholm said:
Well, I can only speak for myself, but I wanted the extras on the DD one, so I replaced my dts one, since it didn't seem to have superior sound as far as I could hear on my equipment, so to me, this was a win-lose situation...
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
But how is that any different from the average 2 disc set with the film on one disc and the extras on another? Some films (like the Anniversary version) have two versions of a film plus extras. Again, win-win to just keep them both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks