What's new

APOLLO 13 -- DTS or DD version: which is better? (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Tony Peck

Grip
I agree with Clinton that DTS typically yields a more detailed sound field compared to the same movie with a DD track. (An excellent example of this can be found on "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?" during the song of the sirens. Listen to the ambient sounds of the river, especially in the surrounds, on both tracks.)

I have noticed small details in the Apollo 13 comparisons I have made thus far, but have not measured the claimed huge differences in LFE that I've read about. That's why I posed the question of different disc pressings. Otherwise I have to assume that many out there are being fooled by simply a recording level difference in the tracks (DTS being 4-5 dB higher). If those people adjusted their master volume control to a known DTS reference level I wonder if they would still hear a bass difference at all.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I was at Costco today and was tempted to buy the DD 5.1 version of Apollo 13 for $12.99. However, I have heard things to suggest that the DD 5.1 version is not all it's cracked up to be. Is this true, keeping in mind that I would probably never be able to detect subtle differences anyway? Also, it's labeled as a Collector's Edition but could not find the extras on the back. How are the Extras?

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The extras on the CE are great! There are 2 full-length commentaries - one from director Ron Howard, and the other by Apollo 13 astronaut Jim Lovell and his wife Marilyn (worth the cost of the disc by itself). There's also a wonderful 60-minute documentary about the real-life mission, as well as the film's production. There's also the standard trailer, production notes, and bios.
The CE is a must-buy if you're a fan of the film. The extras are great!
There's also an easter egg of the entire score (in DD 5.1) if you let the Main Menu sit without choosing any of the options.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Are the extras on the DTS version the same? Is the Quality of the DD 5.1 acceptable?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Grab the disc. When I had my widescreen RPTV calibrated by an ISF tech from the local high-end video store, he threw my Apollo 13 CE into the player to test the video. After a few minutes he checked my receiver (which at the time was DD only) and then the cover of the DVD. Finally he told me that he had just been demoing the DTS version at his store that afternoon and the film sounded better on my system with DD than it had in the showroom with DTS. This is not one of those films where DTS is a clear winner, and I couldn't imagine giving up the terrific extras just for DTS sound. (Even though I now have a DTS system and find that many films do sound noticably better in DTS.)

One extra not even mentioned on the disc - the full score without sound effects, which you can't even get on CD. (There is a soundtrack CD, of course, but several critical sections - like the launch sequence - have both dialogue and sound FX over the music.)

I bought and returned the CD when it was first released because I found that so annoying. If I wanted to hear that music with voices and sound I figured I could just watch my laserdisc version.

But if you pop the DVD in and leave it on the menu it will play the entire score straight through without a single line of dialogue or sound of lift-off, over and over until you make a selection or remove the disc. I put it in the player and leave it on for hours while working around the house, because it is one of my all-time favorite film scores.

Regards,

Joe

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I used to have both of them. Now I only have the DD version. Why? Because I heard NO differences in sound and the DD has a more detailed picture.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have heard many say that the dts sounded marginally better on the dts version BUT the picture quality was not as good on the dts version as the DD version was, and that the extras outweighed any small audio advantage of the dts.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
have heard many say that the dts sounded marginally better on the dts version BUT the picture quality was not as good on the dts version as the DD version was, and that the extras outweighed any small audio advantage of the dts.
Looks like I'll be sticking with my DD version. I just can't give up the isolated score.

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator
these comments are made more interesting by the fact that the dts dvd is one of those rare full-bitrate 1509.5 kb/s dts discs everyone is so hyped about.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
The CE is excellent. I bought it when it first came out, which was 1998 I believe. Back then it cost something like $40 (Can.), so you should be so lucky to find it for 12 bucks.

greg_t

Screenwriter
For sound, the DTS LD is the best. Video quality is good too. However, the anamaphoric video beats it. I have the DTS DVD and the DTS LD. I may rent the DD dvd this weekend and see if I notice any differences in video quality between the two and check the video bitrates. I'll compare them using a Panasonic XP30 player with a Pioneer Elite 530 RPTV. I'm curious to see if there are any real video differences between the two.

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
I own the DD and second the motion that the commentaries (especially by Lovell & wife) are worth $12 alone. It's a steal-- grab it.

Dan Kaplan

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a bit surprised by the above comments, but not for the reason you might be thinking ... I entirely agree with them! The part that surprises me is that they aren't in line with most of the opinions I've read previously.

I rented the DD version and bought the DTS version on the basis of the apparent consensus that the soundtrack is much better and one of the best reference tracks around. I honestly couldn't tell any difference, although I didn't have the DD around for comparing head to head. I'm one who almost always prefers the DTS track, for what that's worth.

The part that always seemed odd to me is the soundtrack in general doesn't seem all that spectactular compared to some others. Great clarity, to be sure, but not a ton of impact. Even the oft drooled over rocket launch sequence is fairly average sounding.

My major dilemna was the extras. I've grown pretty tired of extras in general and watch them infrequently these days, but I can't think of a DVD with better extras than the DD version of Apollo 13. Entertaining and informational, both of which seem to be a rarity. I probably wouldn't watch them again any time soon unless with company, but who knows.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if I ought to make the switch... I'll have a projector in

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Scott_J Said:

There's also an easter egg of the entire score (in DD 5.1) if you let the Main Menu sit without choosing any of the options.
Are you sure it's 5.1???? Because when I played it last night(Isolated Score), my receiver only picked up a 2.0 signal.

Still a great soundtrack. 1st time I've listened to it in awhile.

Joe

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
I was about to post the same thing Joe...
The isolated score is DD 2.0, not 5.1.
Still sounds great, though! :emoji_thumbsup:

Declan

Second Unit
Funny this. I was watching my DTS LD of it today just to hear the music over the end credits (sounds fantastic on DTS, better than the DD5.1 R2 DVD anyway), but I may pick up the r1 SpEd at some point.
I think it's odd that in Ron Howard's commentry he praises the DTS sound during the lift off sequence, yet his track was recorded for the Signature LD which did'nt have a 5.1 soundtrack on it at all (because of the 2 commentries). Just made me laugh.

sad I know.................i'll get me coat.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I already have the DTS LD and DTS DVD, but now I'm tempted to pick up the Dolby version just for the extra features as I love this film. To me However, the DTS version is the must have because there was no Dolby Digital 5.1 theatrical release of Apollo 13, only DTS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks