APOLLO 13 -- DTS or DD version: which is better? (MERGED THREAD)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Carlo S, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Carlo S

Carlo S Stunt Coordinator

I have heard some rumors that the DD version I think is suppose to sound better.....can anyone confirm if thery have listen to both the DD and DTS version?

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I think the DTS version sounded a little nicer (Apollo 13, like the early releases from Universal, had a full-bitrate DTS track), but I also thought it was less impressive than the old DTS LaserDisc.

Despite the small increase in sound quality, I sold the DTS version and kept the DD Special Edition. There's so much really good supplementary material that it's almost a no-brainer. The DTS version has NO extras.

3. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

just a caveat, some early dd decoders (and i mean a really, really small percentage) had problems with the dd 1.0 soundtrack on the extras in the dd version, resulting in garbled, but still understandable, audio. since my pre/pro was one of the ones affected, i sold the dd version and bought the dts.
    there is such a tiny, tiny chance that this could affect you, that you really should forget that you read this post.[​IMG]

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    There may have been a slight increase in the audio qqulaity of the dts soundtrack but with many of the first generation of Universal dts DVD's, the differences were not as pronounced as they may be with todays dts DVD's. Add to that the great documentaries on the DD version and it makes th choice for the DD version (for me) easier.

5. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    DTS all the way for me. [​IMG] It sounds better and I don't care for extras anyway.

6. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

The Dolby version has a sharper image by the way over the DTS release.

To quote Bjoern Roy:

7. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

8. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I noticed a slight difference with the DTS - improvement.

However, there is a VERY noticable difference in video between the two.

The DD has a sharper picture that shows more flaws. The DTS has a softer picture showing fewer flaws. I did an A/B comparison and I know Bjoren has talked about this before.

9. Kevin Roebuck

I have the dd dvd and had thought it sounded ok.

Although I have never heard the dts dvd, I have the launch clip in dts on a demo dvd and it sounds 10 times better than the same sequence on the dd dvd.

Most opinion given by those who have both dvd's say there is not enough of a dif to loose all the extra's present on the dd dvd (plentifull and excellent).

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

10. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

I own the DTS version and I can tell you it rocks!
    The picture looks good too.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Stewart Gregory

Stewart Gregory Auditioning

I want the CE but its too much atm, i'm waiting for it to go down, even tho i have dts i want the features, our R4 dd version is lower bitrate but does have 2 commentary tracks i whouldn't buy it anyway as R1 is always superior.

12. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

If you don't really care about extras, I would say to go with the DTS. I personally don't ever listen to commentaries or watch all of the extras on a disc. What I do want is the version that most closesly resembles the theatrical presentation. And according to the Internet Movie Database and Widescreen review, this movie was released theatrically only in DTS and DTS-Stereo, meaning there was no dolby digital theatrical versions. For me, that means getting the DTS version. I personally have the DTS laserdisc and it is awesome.

13. Tony Peck

Tony Peck Extra

After owning the Apollo 13 Collectors Edition DVD (with DD sound) for several years I decided to buy the DTS version based on internet postings and reviews. The DTS version is widely regarded as having a more dynamic soundtrack with heavier use of the LFE channel.

After comparing the launch scene (ch 13) I am disappointed to hear little difference in the bass content between the versions. I have calibrated my system in both DD and DTS modes using the test tones from the S&V HT tune-up disc, so I know the sub is correctly balanced - my sub is a Servo-15. I have also matched the levels between the DD and DTS tones (I've found the DTS tones to be about 4 db higher) using separate inputs.

Since I bought the disc recently I am wondering how many pressings there have been for this DTS disc, and if there are any differences in the sound encoding between pressings (as was the case with the DD version of the original Jurassic Park - D2R1 vs D2R2)?

If there are any differences does anyone know how to identify the version (imprinted near the center of the disc?)

Thanks.

14. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I cannot stress enough that DTS is not about more LFE. It is about a more dynamic soundtrack. Some movies (such as Jurassic Park) are a little cooked to give it more in the LFE department, but overall (and in my opinion) a good DTS mix is going to give you more clarity and channel separation, not just more bass. I have noticed on countless DTS soundtracks that the surrounds seem to be more active and there are more "small" sounds noticeable that were not noticeable on the DD counterpart. There also seems to be more ambience on the DTS tracks with a wider soundfield. There are, however, DD tracks that sound better than their DTS counterparts. Most of this, I believe, stemming from either a cooked DD track, or a poorly mixed DTS track.

In any event, let your ears be the judge as to which soundtrack you like better. On my equipment, in my HT, for my money, DTS is the better track because of its diverse soundstage and awesome channel separation.

15. Declan

Declan Second Unit

I will hopefully be picking up the Apollo13 DTS LD off a forum user in the next month to replace my old Pro-Logic version, so is the LD DTS better than the DVD DTS?

Cause in my opinon the LD of Saving Private Ryan sounded better than the DTS DVD.

16. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I prefer the Collector's Edition (Dolby Digital) over the DTS version just because the DTS version has a softer, slightly-less detailed image. This seems to be the case with some of Universal's early DTS releases.

17. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Declan,

I haven't heard either of the DVD's, but I have the DTS LD. It is pretty awesome. The best part being the lift-off sequence. It creates a very wide soundstage, deep bass, and the music comes through the great clarity. Like I said I don't have either DVD to compare it to, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with the DTS laser.

18. Declan

Declan Second Unit

cheers Greg..........cant wait

19. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I had the Apollo 13 DTS LD before foolishly selling it to get the DTS DVD.

The LD is heads and shoulders above all DVDs versions of this film. It's not about the bass (although it was tighter), but the micro-detail, smooth/dynamic sound, and wider imaging between the speakers.

DTS LDs were also note worthy for using the very best PCM digital masters to run through a DTS compression encoder.

Other phenomenal DTS LD's I no longer have the pleasure of owning are Casper and Jurassic Park. Those were jaw droppingly good!!!

I do still own The Rock and a few other DTS LDs and they are either slightly or hugely better in the audio department than their DVD counterparts.

Dan

20. Declan

Declan Second Unit

I remember when i first got my LD player I got a copy of Goldeneye..............the DTS version but it was the regular Dolby cover. Because of the commentary and DTS track the only way I could listen to the film was in mono off the analouge left channel (i think), only having a simple hi-fi i changed it for the Dolby version so I could "listen to it in stereo"[​IMG]
    How times have changed. Having said that the DD5.1 LD track takes the head off you at times........great.
    Although I cant wait to get Apollo13 now because I do love a bit of subtlety to my soundtracks (despite the films I usually metion to tests systems out).