Apollo 13/Backdraft 2-pack

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JJR512, Oct 18, 2001.

1. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

I've seen these two movies bundled together as a 2-pack. I forget the price, but I assume it was cheaper than buying both movies separately. Now what I'm wondering is if there is any difference between the DVDs in the 2-pack and buying them separately. Each movie comes in its own case (looks like the plastic kind). Are these really the individual movies just shrinkwrapped together, or are they lesser in any way, like fewer or no special features, fewer sound choices, not in widescreen, etc.?
    ------------------
    -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    [​IMG]
    Join our Genome@home Team! (Click here for more info.)
    Contact me: webmaster@jjr512.com | ICQ: 52675695 | Private Message

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I would say 99% chance that they are just the recycled old DVD's wrapped together. I used to have thr backdraft DVD and it was by far the worst DVD in my collection when it cam to audio and video quality. Very poor.

3. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

Honestly, I don't really know how interested I am in Backdraft...I've never seen the movie in any form, but thought it was supposed to be good. I'd definitely like to get Apollo 13, though, and want the best version possible. I figured a movie like this might have had some kind of ultra-special version, but I haven't seen one yet. Are there any more-special versions of this DVD?
    ------------------
    -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    [​IMG]
    Join our Genome@home Team! (Click here for more info.)
    Contact me: webmaster@jjr512.com | ICQ: 52675695 | Private Message

4. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

I've bought the following Value Packs, and the discs all appear to be the same as those advertised for sale individually:
    Apollo 13/Backdraft
    The Underneath/Village of the Damned (Carpenter version)
    The Mummy/Tremors
    The bundled Apollo 13 is the Dolby Digital edition, with all of the extras including the Easter Egg (the entire musical score plays under a menu).
    The first of these Value Packs was "The Mummy/Tremors", which was released before "The Mummy Ultimate Edition", so Ultimate Editions of Apollo 13 and/or Backdraft seem possible. However, it's also possible that Apollo 13 may lose the hidden score in any Ultimate Edition, as that is what happened to "The Mummy".

5. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

JustinR, there are no differences in these DVDs, same as if you bought them separately. Apollo 13 is the good Collectors Edition, and for the price of it alone, you get Backdraft! I bought it months ago. While Backdraft is barebones, I find the audio/video to be of decent quality.

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    For anyone that has not yet seen Backdraft, it is a great great movie as most of DiNiro's movies are. Anyway, they really need to redo this DVD and give it the justice it deserves. The PQ on the disk was extremely grainy, much worse than the Warner Brothers first generation DVD's. I believe that the sound was DD5.1 although you really could not tell by listening to it. It was very front soundstage heavy (more like a DD2.0 soundtrack).

7. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

I just remembered that I also got the following in similar two-disc Value Packs:
    · 12 Monkeys/The Jackal
    · Mercury Rising/The Bone Collector
    Not sure if you can still get these.
    All discs seem to be the same as the individual Dolby Digital editions. The discs are packaged in individual boxes joined together with a paper wrap-around. The sleeves are the same as the original editions, except for some text in a small box on the back.
    These packs are definitely good value - some retailers sell them at the same price that they sell the individual discs.
    (By the way, Justin, you asked if there were any other editions of Apollo 13. There was also a DTS edition with no extras or DD5.1)
    [Edited last by ChristopherM on October 19, 2001 at 08:36 AM]