What's new

Apollo 11: The NASA Mission Reports, Vol. 3 DVD (1 Viewer)

Dave Corder

Stunt Coordinator
I can't believe I'm just now hearing about these DVDs, outer space nut that I am (Apollo 13, From The Earth to the Moon, Star Trek, Star Wars, etc).

I just started watching From the Earth to the Moon last night. The first part got me hooked so bad that I stayed up until 3:00 watching the rest of disc 1 and was almost late for work.

Just ordered Spacecraft Films' Apollo 11 set from DDD. I'll probably be adding more of their stuff once I recover from all the other DVDs I have bought or will buy this year.

Dave C.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm...DDD only saves you about a buck or two compared to Amazon on the individual releases, and less than $5 on the megaset compared to Amazon. I guess I'll go with Amazon, since the faster it gets here, the better.

Spero D

Second Unit
David if you are getting the Megaset from Amazon.com can you please let me know before you buy it via PM?

Spero D.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I AM going to get it via Amazon, but not until after Sept. 2nd...I gotta budget things for that mega-release day! :eek:
I'm thinking of these as a Christmas gift for my wife, so no rush here yet. For those of you wondering what the conflict is between this thought and my previous post of "Amazon faster than DDD", there's no conflict: when I order it and charge it to my card, I'll want it ASAP so I can control when/how/if she sees a big package coming in. Slow-boating it via DDD means it's more likely to catch me unawares...not worth it for a few bucks. I prefer to be in control of when it arrives, and get Amazon's superior (to me) customer service to boot.

paul_v

Second Unit
Speaking of space geek videos....
When I worked for Radio Shack in the early 90s we looped a video of the Voyager probe planetary fly-bys.. It was filmed to classical music pieces and was actually pretty cool to see Voyager fly past the planets to the Alien theme music and 2001 music. Anyone ever see this or remember the name of it?
edit: nevermind I found it! http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
This 44-minute documentary chronicles the amazing interplanetary journeys of the two Voyager probes that explored the outer planets of our solar system. The film, sans narration, is a collection of images--a mixture of computer animation and actual photographs--set to classical music. The film was made in 1990 right after Voyager 2's final encounters with Neptune, and the computer animation is dated. Superimposed titles are used to relay information and catalog the images of Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and their moons. As a scientific study, the film doesn't come close to the various Nova and Discovery Channel documentaries on the subject. However, as a stellar travelogue, the movie works quite well as copious images float in and out of frame. The accompanying classical music--inspired by Kubrick's selections for 2001--should be cranked up. The final product can easily play in the background of a party as a new type of "video art." --Doug Thomas
Description
Just imagine: a moon covered with volcanos and sulfur ash, racked by land tides as high as a 100-story building... a world swept by 400-mile-per-hour winds... a moon that reassembled itself after a massive collision... a planet with a 300-year-old hurricane four times the size of Earth... a giant moon covered with a petrochemical, smog-like haze. In 1977, twin Voyager spacecraft left Earth with a mission--to visit the outer solar system and send back pictures and scientific data. This they did,...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just picked up Apollo 11. I looked at the Spacecraftfilms site and it's a little confusing. It says that Apollo 15 to 17 is available, but not available after August 18. Are they no longer available? Also read a review from The Digital Bits website, It's a year old review. I guess I missed the boat? Or ship?

Nelson

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Nelson, I don't know the answer for sure.

Hypothetically, though, if Fox is going to be distributing them soon, then the folks at Spacecraftfilms may have thought the best thing to do would be to discontinue their versions at this time.

I'm really just taking a guess at it, though.

Brad Nilsson

Agent
Well, I've picked up all four -- three at 25% off from Amazon and the last at Costco. It would appear that Spacecraft films has entered into an exclusive distribution agreement with Fox. So Spacecraft films must stop its own retail sales when Fox releases its versions.

These are great discs. It's great to finally be able to get them at a discount!

StevenFC

Second Unit
It's good to see this topic discussed. You would think that these releases would be getting a little more press than they have. This is the kind of stuff that DVD is perfectly suited for. I'll probably be getting them before the year is out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks