What's new

Apollo 11: The NASA Mission Reports, Vol. 3 DVD (1 Viewer)

CharlesD

Screenwriter
ChristopherD

thanks for the info! I just ordered the Apollo 11 DVDs, I can't wait to see all that footage!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Any more reviews of the SpacecraftFilms series....or the one offered @ Amazon?

To Christopher or Brad ..... I'm wondering if it'd be worth the cost to own BOTH of these Apollo 11 items (the Godwin DVD AND the Spacecraft 3-DVD set)?? Wouldn't a lot of the same footage be on BOTH? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Christopher D

Second Unit
Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread -- I've been out of town. While gone, I received my copy of Godwin's DVD and the HUGE full-out Apollo 15 "downlink edition". When I get a chance to look them over, I'll post some impressions.

I don't believe there is a Voyager DVD yet, but I think Godwin did a book on the deep space probes that had a CD-ROM in it; each of those has typically had some video on it.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I don't think there's any other rational course than to buy both the Godwin and SpaceCraft Films DVDs.
Well, that's a MARK VII then! The Man has spoken! :D
(I'd still like to know how much repeat footage is on both programs though before forking over the greenbacks for both products. Anybody??)

PeteD

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't seem to be mentioned, but IMHO the very best Apollo anything is: For All Mankind (Criterion).

"Coming up on staging. And when staging hits, it's like -BAM!"

Gives me goose bumps just thinking about it...

Al Reinert went through the NASA cold storage archives and put together a medley moon mission that you wouldn't believe unless you saw it..

I've had this disc for a couple of years at least and is easily my most watched disc.
Anyone who comes to my house with a little interest in space doesn't leave without seeing it.. They're always just floored...

Christopher D

Second Unit
A couple of notes.
First, Spacecraft Films has updated its site to add details and cover art for their next upcoming releases. Put simply, everybody who's been regularly reading this thread is going to go broke. Check it out. (No, I'm not affiliated with them).
Second, I've had a chance to do a quick review of the Godwin DVD. I'm pretty sure that the Spacecraft Films DVDs are the way to go here. The Godwin disc is nice, but it integrates the 16mm film with the TV broadcast, and sticks the still images into the corners at the appropriate time. It's nice, but there's just too much production going on there. If you want the raw feeds, this is not the place to go. Still, Godwin's DVD is good on its own merits and a great deal with the book.
I still haven't had a chance to check out the Apollo 15 "Downlink Edition", but will put some more thoughts up when I have.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure that the Spacecraft Films DVDs are the way to go here. ......
Thanks a lot for this info, Christopher! I kind of figured I'd go with the SPACECRAFT ones too.
I've had a few e-talks recently with the producer of SPACECRAFT FILMS (Mark Gray), and he provided me with the following information on the subject of GODWIN vs. SPACECRAFT APOLLO 11.......
"What you'll get extra with ours is a large amount of film of the erection, rollout, pad and launch, television transmissions on the way to and from the moon, the EVA in a similar manner to the Apogee film, and recovery coverage. Essentially, Apogee is doing just the EVA (with some other onboard film) and we're doing the entire mission."
Sounds good to me, Mark! I'm in! :)
And how could any self-respecting fan of Space material NOT pick up a DVD with cool menus like these?! :) ........
http://spacecraftfilms.com/a11disc1e.jpg
http://spacecraftfilms.com/a11disc1d.jpg
http://spacecraftfilms.com/a15cdedisc1c.jpg
http://spacecraftfilms.com/a14cdedisc2a.jpg
Anybody got a fifty-dollar bill just lying around doing nothing? ;)

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Well I got my Apollo 11 DVDs from Spacecraft films yesterday. I've only been able to scratch the surface of what's contained on them, but this set is a must have for any space geek!

I particularly like having access to all the ground/space craft communications, the flight controller's loop and various other audio tracks. It was a joy to see the complete landing sequence for the first time and also to hear the comm and the flight control chatter right up to the stay/leave poll following landing. You can even hear the cheering in the background once the telemetry shows the Eagle was safely down (before the famous "Tranquility Base here.." transmission.)

So far the picture quality is very good, and I can't wait to watch more.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
As far as I know, they [Spacecraft Films programs on DVD] are only available online at Spacecraft Films.
Spacecraft Films Update from 04/21/2003 .........

>> "We are pleased to announce that by the end of the summer, Spacecraft Films will be widely available in retail locations. More information will be coming shortly on how this affects release dates on future products (Apollo 17, Project Gemini, Saturn V Management Reports, STS-110 and STS-111 will be out soon, and are unaffected). This should result in wider availability, greater flexibility for our customers, and the ability to add even more features to the products."

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
And probably cheaper prices too.
Yes...that'd be a plus. :)
Mark .... Do you have the STS-109 program? As fate would have it, it's the last completed mission of the Shuttle Columbia (in March 2002).
It's one of the 1-disc jobs, which means it's much less expensive. It's got a great photo gallery, plus good multi-camera launch footage (at dawn).
The shuttle DVD seems less "dry" than some of the other extensive programs. (Although, the launches of the Apollos can be window-rattling if you've got the equipment to support them.) :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Future Spacecraft Films' programs will supposedly feature STS-51L (Challenger disaster) and the near-disastrous mission of Apollo 13.
Although, I cannot imagine HOW they will fill up 2 (or maybe even THREE!) discs with STS-51L information/footage, seeing as how the mission lasted a mere 73 seconds. :confused:
I guess most of that program will feature footage of the recovery effort, plus NASA conferences about the investigation into the disaster, etc.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I wasn't complaining about the prices, just commenting that we'll most likely see discounting.

I own all but two of the Spacecraft Films dvds. Can't wait for Apollo 1, 13, and the X programs discs!

Spero D

Second Unit
They are up for preorder at DVDPlanet for $34.99 each. I will be buying them at this great price. Hoepfully DVDSoon will have them even cheaper.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Yeah, I have the 1st four of the reissues/discounted ones coming (Apollo 8/Apollo 11/Gemini/Mighty Saturns)

Looking at SpaceCraft films website, the next batch will probably by Apoll 14,15,16,17. Those are now not available after today. So those should be the next rereleases through the new distribution channels.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Guys, keep an eye on the Weekly Roundup posts in the Coupons & Bargains section. Fox's releases of these DVDs will be at Amazon at a mere $37.49 each for Apollo 8, Apollo 11, Project Gemini, and The Mighty Saturns. The Megaset with all of them is $127.48!
But Circuit City is carrying them for $39.99 each, and mostly through their website and not in-stores, and won't carry The Mighty Saturns separately.
Best Buy is selling them for even more, at $45.99 for A11 and $49.99 for A8, and not at all on the Saturns or Gemini.
Both BB and CC are selling the Megaset for the list price, $169.99...no discount! :angry:
Wal-Mart is carrying A11 only, and not at every location either. Each location prices according to local competition, but my local super-center will have it for $43.68.
Costco and Sam's don't list it at their websites, but as these are box sets from Fox I expect that one or both of them are likely to carry it at great prices. Costco is more likely.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
BJ's Wholesale Club has all 4 sets for $32.99 each in-store! I got Apollo 11 on Saturday and will be back for the rest on my next shopping visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks