Apollo 11: The NASA Mission Reports, Vol. 3 DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Brad Nilsson, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Brad Nilsson

Brad Nilsson Agent

If you love your "Apollo 13," if your copy of "From the Earth to the Moon" is in tatters, here's the real thing!
    Apogee Books has been releasing original NASA mission reports for all the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo missions. Previously, the books have come with CD-ROMs with supplemental materials. Now, Apogee Books has out done themselves with Volume 3 of the Apollo Mission Reports: a fantastic DVD.
    On side of of this DVD is the entire Armstrong/Aldrin EVA with both 16 mm and video footage combined with a audio track. Relevant still fotos are inserted.
    The second side contains 16 mm footage of other aspects of the mission. The most spectacular is the footage of Powered Descent -- the actual lunar landing. The original 16 mm footage is combined with the audio loops for a "you were there" feeling. It is absolutely amazing.
    Here's the link to Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...234575-3269729
    Brad Nilsson

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Thanks for this link. I've always wanted something like this for the Apollo 11 mission. I used to love my "Space Archive" laserdiscs and this sounds like a modern update.

Let's hope all future volumes are done with DVDs. $17.50 for a book & DVD set sounds outstanding.

3. Christopher D

Christopher D Second Unit

Those who are interested in this should also check out Spacecraft Films, which has just started releasing an awesome (but expensive) archival set of Apollo mission DVDs.
    I just received the first couple of volumes, and they are incredible for the hardcore space history buff. They attempt to carry most (if not, I believe all) of the TV transmissions from each mission and launch and training film. Especially intriguing is the multiple audio tracks covering the flight controllers loop, the Public Affairs commentary, etc.
    Here are the liner notes from Apollo 11 volume 1:
    From the moment man set foot on a body other than Earth, the world has been a different place. This exceptional chronicle of Apollo 11 features new digital transfers of film and television coverage unmatched by any other.
    Presented in two volumes, a two-disc Volume 1 and a single disc Volume 2, Apollo 11: Men on The Moon features the unbelieveble experience of man's first voyage to another world. All together the discs present over 12 hours of spectacular material.
    VOLUME 1 - DISC 1: (from the disc notes)
    Making Ready
    16mm film transfers from archives, March, 2002. Digital transfer of archives preservation reels, showing stages on dock, unloading, stacking, rollout, and pad work. No audio. Tracks will progress through assembly without user intervention.
    On dock and stacking: 55:00
    Rollout: 8:34
    Pad: 11:15
    Departing For Another World
    16mm film transfers from archives, March 2002. Digital transfer of archives preservation reels, showing launch from 9 different angles. All launch views run 4:00 in length. All views start and stop with the same camera, as
    different views start and stop at different times at launch.
    Full Screen Multi-angle - use DVD angle feature to cycle through 7 of the Apollo 11 launch views full screen. Audio track 1: Full track surround with air to ground and public affairs in center channel, vehicle sound left and right
    forward channels, flight controller's loop in rear channels, and a vehicle sound in a subwoofer channel. Audio track 2: Air to Ground and Public Affairs Officer. Audio Track 3: Flight Controller's loop. Audio Track 4: Vehicle sound only.
    Multi-angle one screen. 9 launch views on one screen. Audio track 1: Full track
    surround (see above). Audio track 2: Air to Ground and Flight Controller's loop.
    Audio track 3: Air to Ground and Public Affairs Officer. Audio track 4: Flight
    Controller's loop.
    Alternate Launch Views: Audio track is full track surround.
    Launch Pad Damage: Short film reel documenting damage to pad 39A after
    launch. No audio. 2:00
    Fly Me To The Moon
    16mm onboard of transposition and docking, 3:29 GET. JSC film transfer 1999.
    Television transmissions during translunar coast, JSC kinescopes: 1:16:50.
    Chapter 1 - Unscheduled Transmission 10:32 GET
    Chapter 2 - The "czar of the ship" sleeps
    Chapter 3 - Unscheduled Transmission 30:28 GET
    Chapter 4 - "Medics watching heart rate"?
    Chapter 5 - Scheduled Transmission 33:59 GET
    Chapter 6 - Big Mike Collins
    Chapter 7 - DSKY
    Chapter 8 - "The star charts are just for show"
    Chapter 9 - Buzz Excercises
    Chapter 10 - Dinner Time
    Chapter 11 - The patch
    Television transmissions during translunar coast, JSC kinescopes: 1:30:52
    Chapter 1 - Probe Removal and LM checkout 55:08 GET
    Chapter 2 - Working on the Probe
    Chapter 3 - Removing the Drogue
    Chapter 4 - Ready for the Hatch
    Chapter 5 - Into Eagle
    Chapter 6 - Opening the shades
    Chapter 7 - The AOT
    Chapter 8 - Mike over in Columbia
    Chapter 9 - Eagle instrument panels
    Chapter 10 - Camera mont
    Chapter 11 - Panel 3
    Chapter 12 - More instruments
    Chapter 13 - Our home from space
    To and From Tranquility Base
    Landing Training - Lunar Landing training at the Lunar Landing Research Facility, Langley, VA. 16mm film
    transfer from National Archives. Training runs by Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong. 10:00 No Audio.
    Lunar Landing - 16mm onboard camera, shooting out LMP window. Starts prior to powered descent.
    Audio track 1: Surround sound with all tracks - Center channel air to ground and Public Affairs Officer,
    Left and Right forward channels are onboard voice recorder, rear channels are flight controller and
    LM controller loops. Audio track 2: Onboard voice recorder. Audio track 3: air to ground and Public
    Affairs Officer, Audio track 3: Flight Director's loop. Audio track 4: LM controller's loop. In order to
    maintain proper sync, and due to the 1.5 second delay between the onboard recorder and the ground
    due to the distance to the moon, some areas of the full surround track will feature a delay. 16:13.
    Chapter 1 - Go for landing
    Chapter 2 - 10 percent
    Chapter 3 - Maneuver
    Chapter 4 - Program alarm
    Chapter 5 - 9200 feet
    Chapter 6 - Final approach
    Chapter 7 - "The Eagle has landed."
    Lunar Ascent - 16mm onboard camera, shooting out LMPO window. Shows start of magazine in order
    to demonstrate when camera began. Audio from air to ground. 12:27.
    Chapter 1 - Falling flag?
    Chapter 2 - Liftoff
    Chapter 3 - Camera speed change
    Chapter 4 - Shutdown

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Christopher, that looks like a fascinating set. It's $54.99 for the 3 discs that combine Vol. 1 and 2, for those interested (I had to dig hard to find the price!). Vol. 1 ships immediately, and Vol. 2 will ship as soon as it's released.
    Brad, while that book/disc combo also sounds interesting, I wonder if the footage is any different than my current NASA 5-disc set:
    [​IMG]
    Any ideas as to that?

5. Brad Nilsson

Brad Nilsson Agent

Christoper: Thanks for the link.

Dave: The answer is yes. The EVA is a new compliation of (1) 16 mm, (2) video, (3) audio, and (4) still photos, all sync'ed together. The Powered Descent section, according to the introduction, had to be pieced together from several different sources. It also includes an insert showing the actual orientation of the LM during the process.

Brad Nilsson

6. Christopher D

Dave -- that's right for Apollo 11. I just received the set with discs one and two, and I understand that they will ship disc three when it is ready. I believe it is included in the price.

These are definitely for space geeks only, which I think contributes to the somewhat hefty price. The casual viewer is not going to be interested in most of this and probably would enjoy Godwin's DVD (which I don't have yet) more. Still, it is apparent that the Spacecraft Films sets have been painstakingly put together by fellow buffs.

With the free CD-ROM that NASA put out of the mission transcripts (no longer available free, but I believe that a third party vendor is now selling copies), these DVDs, and Godwin's books and CD-ROMs, at last it's now possible to have a comprehensive set of these great historical materials.

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

8. Christopher D

Yeah, but my thought is -- not a lot of people want to pay that much to watch a lengthy video of the docking probe being removed. [​IMG]
    I think once you see these you'll understand what I'm saying. They're pretty dry -- the menus and presentation are well done but minimalist in the sense that the disc is intended to be something of an archive instead of a produced program. But there's nothing like them for that --I just skipped through the Apollo 14 compilation and was fascinated to watch the raw recovery video, which is worth its weight in gold. It's stuff you've always wanted to see but never could because they usually edit out all of the "non-interesting" material of that nature.
    I ordered the full six-disc set for Apollo 15 and am eager to see it -- but $85 is a heck of a lot of dough, and I usually spare no expense on important DVDs *or* space history stuff.
    [Edited to expand]

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Where are these discs available?
    So they are presenting the entire video transmissions from the spacecraft of all the Apollo missions? I want them--and I want them all. I'm as hardcore a space geek as you'll even find.

10. Christopher D

Jack -- As far as I know, they are only available online at Spacecraft Films. I linked to their site a couple of messages ago, and all the specifics can be found there. I first read about these discs in Smitsonian Air and Space magazine, found the web site, and the rest (as they say) is history.

If you're hardcore, you'll love 'em.

11. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

How's the picture quality and the sound on these space DVDs? Are we treated to window-rattling liftoffs of the various Apollo missions? And is the audio re-done in 5.1? Or is it 2.0 stereo?
    Thanks for any further info on quality of these programs!
    I, like many here, like SPACE stuff on DVD/video too!
    Anybody have the IMAX series of space DVDs? They're too short, but good quality!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Christopher D

I'm unfortunately not discerning enough to provide an exacting review of the quality -- however, the content was digitally remastered from the originals at Johnson Space Center, so I assume that the video is as good as we are ever likely to see it. Many of the inflight transmissions came from (get this) a kinescope of the original TV broadcasts. It's not Lucas digital and the TV looks like a sixties TV source -- but the film looks fairly decent.

I got a good kick from my subwoofer on the launches, but again keep in mind the age and nature of the source materials.

13. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Thanks Christopher, for your post above! Very helpful! [​IMG]
    While looking over that spacecraftfilms.com site in depth, I can see I'm definitely going to HAVE TO HAVE the two DVDs in the LAUNCH VEHICLE SERIES!
    This is what it says about the SATURN V release (simply a MUST-HAVE for space addicts, with EVERY launch represented!) ........
    With five F-1 engines producing seven and a half million pounds of thrust, some have described the Saturn V as "launching a navy destroyer." Even today the feat is impressive, and nothing yet built rivals the Saturn V in sheer power.
    Spacecraft Films has discovered excellent background material for use in the preparation of this multi-disc set. As usual, we'll pack the disc with raw material - see an entire firing of the first stage in the test stand - with several angles of the brute strength of the F-1's. See multi-angle coverage of all 13 launches, from Apollo 4 through the last Saturn V used to launch Skylab.
    On this disc you'll come to know the Saturn V as never before. Even outstanding pad rollout footage demonstrates the incredible engineering involved in moving a fully erected Saturn V from the VAB to the launch pad. This is a must-have for anyone who's always loved the strength and ingenuity of the Saturn V.

14. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I guess this review from the Spacecraft site answers my Q. about the sound. [​IMG][​IMG] .......
    Comments on Spacecraft Films
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "In time for the anniversary, a spectacular 2 DVD set has been released... It’s... one of the best executed pieces of home technology this writer has ever seen, featuring first-rate digital transfers of available film, video and audio, with a variety of viewing and listening options... You know what I like best about this set? No soundtrack! No dopey synthesizer drivel, or overly-romantic orchestral scores. No corny narrators, or expert opinions. Just the sounds of men and machinery in action. I can dig that!... Crank up the launch sequence and watch your neighbors duck in fear of an earthquake!... Grade: Scorcher!"
    --------------------------------------------
    I doubt that either Jack Briggs nor I will have nearly enough will power to keep from getting these discs! Right, Jack? [​IMG]

15. Christopher D

Heck, now I'm not going to have the will power not to pick up the ones I haven't already ordered. (Saturn V, Shuttle/Hubble Repair, Complete Apollo 14, Summary Apollo 15).
    You guys are enablers. [​IMG]

16. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

I want! I want!

I need... a job to pay for all this!

17. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

And don't forget APOLLO 8, coming in December!
    That should be a beaut! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Spero D

Spero D Second Unit

Christopher D- Thanks for the link. I want to get them all as I love this space exploration stuff. Hopefully Amazon will have them for a cheaper price soon? Is there a DVD that covers the Voyager space probe missions? I already have the The Planets DVD which has some of the mission and the Voyager DVD are there any others please? Also will be preordering Cosmos as well.

Thanks,
    Spero D.

19. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    And don't forget to order a copy of The Dish, if you don't have it already. This movie totally changed the way I looked at the moon landing, and what it meant to the world. Not having lived through it, I was only exposed to it through pop culture references and anniversary throwbacks. After watching The Dish, I almost feel as if I was there, in front of my TV, watching along with the rest of the world. The Dish made me realize I'd never lived in a world where man hadn't walked on the moon, and what a different world that was.
    Anyway, it is a phenomenal movie, and I just couldn't miss an opportunity to bring it up, even if it is stretching it a little off topic.
    [​IMG]

20. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

....(self-deletion)....