What's new

Apocalypse Now Redux (1 Viewer)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know if Paramount retained the video rights to Apocalypse Now Redux (or does it belong to Miramax)?
I thoroughly enjoyed Redux (though I think Coppala's original cut is better). I was surprised that of all the new added footage, the plantation sequence is the sequence I liked the least. I enjoyed the new Bunny sequence, but Spoiler:what happened to the third bunny?
I hope that whomever releases it on video, they will be allowed to add the following deleted scenes (as deleted scenes, not reincorporated into the film):
Spoiler:The deaths of Dennis Hopper and Scott Glenn's characters. Any footage shot of Harvey Keitel as Willard before he had his heart attack. And any other interesting footage that I'm unaware of.
Also, if it's not added as part of the package, I hope Paramount rereleases the Heart of Darkness documentary, and at the same time, release the Academy Award winning documentary, Hearts and Minds.
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure Paramount still has the home video distribution rights for AN Redux.
I hope Coppolla records a commentary track for the DVD.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I thought Martin Sheen had the heart attack. It slowed production down but he came back. I was unaware of Harvey Keithel having one, and that was what prevented him from playing Willard. (I didn't think this qualified as a spoiler so I didn't cover it up).

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I guess I could have it wrong about Keitel. I'll have to read the book "Notes" again.
------------------

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Yes, Keitel was simply let go (fired) from the film. I'm guessing Coppola didn't like what he was seeing. Also, from what I understand,
Spoiler:The bunnies for fuel scene was never properly finished when it was filmed. They did the best they could for ANR with the footage they have, but it's still a choppy sequence.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I just read that Keitel was fired, not because of a heart attack. Still he did shoot for a week before being let go. I guess that footage ranks up there with Charles Grodin's screen test for the Graduate and Eric Stotlz as Marty McFly in Back to the Future as the great footage we'll never get to see.
------------------

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
There was a brief interview with Walter Murch (editor of AN) in Premiere or EW and he said that the Redux DVD wouldn't have additional cut scenes. He specifically mentioned the Scott Glenn stuff wouldn't be on there. One thing he said they were looking at was putting on the audio outtakes of Marlon Brando, which if you saw Heart of Darkness, contained some pretty funny stuff.
------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...25
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

Justin_M

Agent
IMDB has the 2001 re-release listed as a Miramax title. I'm not sure why Paramount didn't get the rights.
JM

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Paramount had no interest in a theatrical rerelease but apparently doesn't mind keeping the video rights. No offense to Martin, but once again Paramount shows they don't seem to care about their back catalog.
------------------

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Paramount had no interest in a theatrical rerelease but apparently doesn't mind keeping the video rights. No offense to Martin, but once again Paramount shows they don't seem to care about their back catalog.
Paramount had no interest in a theatrical re-release bacuase they can have nothing to do with it! They only have home video rights and have never possessed theatrical rights of any kind.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
That's right, Paramount only has home video rights. AN was originally released by United Artists, and Miramax got the theatrical distribution rights for Redux.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Paramount had no interest in a theatrical re-release bacuase they can have nothing to do with it.
Not quite. Because Coppola had to put up so much of his own money to finish the film, it has given him control over the copyright to it. This is how we ended up with this split rights situation of one studio having theatrical and the other video.
When Coppola completed REDUX, he put it up for auction, so technically, Paramount could have bid on the theatrical rights if they wanted them. But most studios are not terribly good at rereleasing older films, especially on a wide scale. Aside from THE EXORCIST, most revivals of older films have been ghettoized into art theatres in large cities, and Coppola obviously wanted to get a truly wide release for this movie.
Miramax has done very successful reissues of classics like A HARD DAYS' NIGHT, BELLE DE JOUR, and EL CID, so they were probably the best choice to go with. They've also been one of the few studios willing to release films that they do not have video rights to, since most studios are leery of spending theatrical dollars on a product someone else will see ancillary benefits from. Some of Miramax's bigger movies have been financed by others -- SEX LIES AND VIDEOTAPE is owned by Columbia TriStar video, RESERVOIR DOGS by Live (Artisan).
What I'm puzzled by is why there is a UA logo on all the advertising for the new cut. I had thought their rights expired years ago. Since they did release the original version, perhaps there is some sort of contractual obligation to acknowledge their initial investment. Or maybe, since Coppola is on the board of directors at UA now, he wanted to boost their profile a little since they've had a slump. :)
------------------
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
According to DVD File, Paramount has set an 11/28 for Apocalypse Now: Redux. The DVD contains a 2:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound, and a trailer for an SRP of $29.95.
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
And once again Paramount drops the ball releasing Redux as a bare bones edition. It is a shame that New Line or Criterion couldn't get their hands on it. I have defended Paramount in the past but this really dissapoints me.
------------------

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
At least it not New Line. Paramount is very good with quality and have such important features as English subtitles where New Line does not. I much rather have that than an extra 20 minute documentary.
Ron Birk

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I believe Coppola/Zoetrope can control these titles in much the same manner as Lucas or Spielberg do theirs. If he didn't want to do an SE I don't think Paramount can be blamed, it probably wasn't their call.
------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...25
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks