Apocalypse Now Redux

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill J, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I have heard rumors that Francis Ford Coppola recorded a commentary track for Apocalypse Now Redux. Are they incorrect or is there a possibility of a special edition being released in the near future?

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    According to Widescreen review, this is being released on Nov. 20th. I'm not sure if this is an S.E. or not but I'm sure it will have lots of goodies.
    ------------------
    Rich
    "A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
    My Website

3. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

My understanding is that the upcoming has NO "special goodies" (other than the film itself, of course).

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    No goodies...I believe the spec sheet lists a trailer, and that's all.
    - Steve

5. William DAnnucci

William DAnnucci Stunt Coordinator

A shame, since the use of DVD's seamless branching would be ideal to have both the original and Redux versions on one DVD.

6. John Sturge

John Sturge Stunt Coordinator

Hmmmm, Godfather gets the touch of god and gets one of the best special editions on the market. And Apocalypse Now the best of Francis's movies gets a theatrical trailer?
    The Godfather Trilogy just feels 3rd rate after watching Apocalypse Now. You know, the fat ass goes to the effort to recut the movie and add scenes in, go on a media blitz, and yet put no effort into making a commentary? Hearts Of Darkness? Seamless Branching? DTS? DVD-Rom Features? Lots of written notes(Criterion Style)?
    Knowing Coppola, he's probably recutting another one of his critical/commercial bombs, to see if he can make more $. Lets hope he leaves Dracula alone, NOTHING can save that film.

7. Bill J

Bill J Producer

The thing that upsets me the most about it is that Francis Ford Coppola claims he is a big fan of the DVD format. He said that one of the main inspirations for recutting the movie was DVD. Coppola also said that he originally thought that Apocalypse Now Redux would have a DVD release only. Miramax decided on releasing it theatrically. Most people have not yet seen Redux. Now, when it is time for the DVD release the only bonus feature is the trailer.
    I do not believe Redux is the better version of the film, but being a fan of the original, I like seeing the bonus scenes.
    With the versatility of the DVD, a special edition should include both films. Redux should have a commentary by Coppola. Hearts of Darkness should be released as an extra or have a separate release. It should really be released by itself because it is really a separate film and it would take up a lot of disc space. It doesn't help the VHS version is out of print.
    I believe the best bonus feature a special edition would be additional deleted scenes. If you have ever seen the 5 hour workprint version of the film, you know what I am talking about. The workprint has more scenes with Dennis Hopper and Scott Glenn. My memory is fading but I think Scott Glenn shoots Dennis Hopper in one of them. I also remember there being several additional Marlon Brando scenes.

8. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

Coppola is too busy with his new projects, that's why he didn't record a commentary track.
    ------------------
    British film-making at its finest.
    Superman CINEMA
    http://www.deceptions.net/superman

9. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Lets hope he leaves Dracula alone, NOTHING can save that film.
    Let's hope that we see a super collector's edition of this film. It is by far my favorite Coppola movie, leaving The Godfather and Apocalypse Now in it's dust.

10. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I'm hoping this was sarcasm but I see no smiley.
    ------------------
    Patrick Larkin
    Kubrick Multimedia Film Guide
    [Edited last by Patrick Larkin on November 01, 2001 at 08:52 AM]

11. Marty Neudel

Marty Neudel Stunt Coordinator

>No goodies...I believe the spec sheet lists a trailer, and that's all.
    Steve,
    why do I get the feeling that next year will see a Redux-SE?
    Marty

12. Christina_DQ

Christina_DQ Stunt Coordinator

Bram Stokers Dracula is a great movie!!!
    Amazing sets,direction,score,atmosphere,editing ect make for one hell of a thrilling/unique ride.
    I also think it's the best Dracula movie ever & miles ahead of the 1930's original.
    As for Redux & the original version. Hard to pick which is better,though i'd have to say for the most part Redux with it's more fleshed out scenes,really showed more of the insanity of it all with it's dark humor. Of course from the plantation scene through the end. Thats where the movie stalls & looses the awe of the preceding hours. Though if you look at the movie closer.....the movie starts out,furious & in your face......then basically calms down when we meet Kurtz,as if the life/energy has been drained out of everyone showing how the war was just a waste.
    So in away the final hour isn't bad & fits perfectly with the film. Still the plantation scene wasn't that great & could've been left out or shortened.
    Hopefully SE's will be released soon & i would love to see all the other footage thats in the workprint.
    Still it was great to see it on the big screen & maybe i'll buy both versions & see which one i like more.

13. Zack Scott

Zack Scott Stunt Coordinator

I have a feeling that Coppola doesn't want to add special goodies on Apocalypse Now. This was his work of art and He would probably want the audience to decipher what it means, not what he feels the audience should think it means. That's why on the original cut theres a commentary track on Why the explosion of the Kurtz Compound was cut from the film and not on the entire movie. THat's why he did commentaries on all of his movies except A.N. that are on DVD (The Rainmaker, I'm not sure since I haven't seen it yet.)
    I personally can't wait until he does a commenart for Dementia 13!!!! That's going to be fun.

14. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Am I correct to assume from this thread that Redux won't have both versions of the film? Seems easy enough to do.

15. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Stunt Coordinator