Apocalypse Now Redux

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_HR, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I've read that because the length of the film no extras will be added. Is there some PROBLEM with making it a 2 disc set?

2. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

the main problem is redux is not the better cut. these scenes are not even that good that were put back in if anything they shoulda been deleted scenes on the orginal dvd. redux = inferior to the orginal cut. atleast in my eyes [​IMG]

3. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I saw the movie today. I thought that some of the new footage work and some didn;t.. I am not sure if paramount owns the rights to the docuemtnary of hearts of darkness. I agree that it should be a two disc set.. not just the movie and the trailer.
    JACOB
    ------------------
    The #1 Unoffcial Site Of Sarah Douglas
    www.angelfire.com/ca4/sarahdouglas
    Please vote for the uncut version of Conan The Destroyer on dvd
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/002724.html

4. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

Let's put our opinions of the new cut aside for a minute. I, for one, was hoping this release would include both cuts via seamless branching. I had not noticed any change in the old footage, hence, seamless branching could incorporate the new footage for the new cut. (correct me if I am wrong) Because of this, I had hoped this would be some sort of delux, or ultimate, whatever you call it edition with both cuts of the film, plus extras. In my daydreaming, I had also hoped to see the documentary Hearts of Darkness on the disc as well. Maybe 2 discs couldn't even fit all that stuff, but heck, doesn't this film deserve it?

5. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

Paramount's Godfather II, at 200 min, had to be split across 2 discs. The new version of AN:R is 197. Terminator 2 was 137, but the extended version was ~155 (all runtimes from imdb.com).
    ..The only other seamless branchind DVD i own is T2:UE. When I played it unbranched ( I have an Apex) some scenes were duplicated, and I don't know why, so that means that there was more than 155 mins of movie on the disc.
    ..The same would probably happen in AN:R. so now you would be way over what paramount wants to put on a single disc, and have to split the movie itself onto 2 discs. The problem being with that is now you have to choose again which version you want to watch. and if you screw up your choice, you might end up watching a great movie on the first disc, but Redux on the 2nd.
    ....also, does anyone know if the regular version of apocalypse now w/ the extra(s) is going out of print?

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

IIRC, movies over 200 minutes have been put on a SSDL disc before... I believe that was the reason alot of people were POed over GFII. We'll see.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

7. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

The JFK director's cut (206 minutes) seemed to fit nicely onto one DVD.
    -Tom
    ------------------
    There is nothing wrong with any of the surrounds on your Forrest Gump DVD! It's ok!!!

8. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Every stituation is different.
    Just because one 200+ minute film fits on one DVD does not mean that every 200+ minute film will fit on one DVD.
    ------------------

9. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

Isn't Gettysburg like 240 minutes on one dvd? Not entirely sure though...

10. Thomas Johnsen

Thomas Johnsen Auditioning

Kirk Tsai:
    This is from Roger Eberts review of Redux:

11. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

I see, Thomas, thanks for the info. Well, it's a shame that we can't have one edition of the film with both cuts or at least the cut footage by itself....

12. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

quote:
    Isn't Gettysburg like 240 minutes on one dvd? Not entirely sure though...[/quote]
    Gettysburg is spread across a DVD-18, essentially the same as a two DVD-9 set.
    Same with Ben-Hur.
    ------------------
    [Edited last by rutger_s on September 03, 2001 at 04:53 AM]

13. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Do we know yet whether the aspect ratio will be screwed up again? Presumably it will be, since the same folks are still in charge and they think it looks better in a modified version. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

14. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

Will there be a Special Edition next year? I'm not happy that it's not a SE this time around. I'd rather they waited till next year and did it right.
    This is a mega favourite of mine, but if there is a SE next year, I will wait.
    ------------------
    British film-making blows away Hollywood.
    Why? Verisimilitude!
    Superman CINEMA
    http://www.deceptions.net/superman

15. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Mark:
    The new DVD of Redux will also be in Director of Photography Vittorio Storaro's preferred 2:1 aspect ratio.
    I don't think you can argue with the main man. Besides, according to Mr. Storaro the extra side imagery on the original 2.40:1 theatrical "scope" print was dead space, and the movie was framed for ~2:1 to begin with (they wanted a 70mm blow up negative to be produced at the time).
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

16. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

it would be a shame not to include hearts of darkness...
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

17. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

Did it ever occur to the "special edition" crowd that:
    1) Coppola didn't/wouldn't make any supplements available?
    2) We're getting an anamorphic transfer of the the restored new print with a 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack?
    3) Paramount can't justify a 2-disc set for a movie that probably won't sell tons of copies?
    Doesn't anyone actually enjoy watching movies anymore!?

18. Brian Knolhoff

Jack,
    For the most part, I agree with you. I'll be simply thrilled to have the Redux on DVD. ...I caught it in the theaters at the Loews in Boston, and happened to really enjoy it.
    The only thing I do wish, however, is that the Hearts of Darkness documentary were available somewhere. Whether it be as part of an Apocalypse Now SE or as a stand alone release. I've heard nothing but such superlatives about this that I'm extremely curious to see it!
    If that wonderful, already existing material were available, then I would be thrilled! [​IMG]
    Regards,
    -Brian

19. Rob Roth

Rob Roth Stunt Coordinator

I saw Redux in a well equipped theater and enjoyed the superior transfer and improved sound- those aspects alone make a DVD purchas inevitable. I think the new French Plantation footage worked but the 'stranded bunnies' did not. I don't remember many helicopters that used PBR diesel fuel.

20. Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart Second Unit

This one is on my wish-list for sure.
    This movie is one of my favourite movies of all-time and
    I can't wait for this to play in my dvd-player.
    On the other side I am a little dissapointed that they will
    not include Hearts Of Darkness on this new dvd.