1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Apocalypse Now Redux to include "Hearts of Darkness"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Hawley, Nov 8, 2001.

1. Mark Hawley

Mark Hawley Second Unit

I just saw the new flyer for Future Shop (a Canadian electronics chain), and advertises the new Apocalypse Now Redux DVD coming out on Nov 20 for $28.00 CDN. However, the interesting thing is the flyer lists under Special DVD Features, that it includes "Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse".
    The thing is though, is that I've never heard of this anywhere else and so far, all the news for this disc says that it will be a bare bones release. So does anyone know for sure?

2. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

That is the first Ive heard of that. I PRAY this is true, what a great documentary that is.
    ------------------
    Visit My Pathetic WebPage
    "....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
    what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
    one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

3. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

Everything I heard says it will not because the rights for "Heart of Darkness" and "Apocalypse Now Redux" are held by different studios.

4. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Since I have the original release I was going to pass on Redux, but if it contains Hearts of Darkness, I'll be the first in line to get it!

5. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I think they are incorrect. Was that the only bonus feature they mentioned?

6. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

If this were a Warner release, we would see "Aplcalypse Now redux Revisited" next year. [​IMG]
    FWIW, Amazon doesn't list the doc. as a feature...in fact it appears there isnt even a trailer [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You MUST
    see this Film!

7. Derek U

Derek U Stunt Coordinator

DVD Empire already has front and back cover art posted, and the only feature advertised is a trailer.
    Derek

8. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

My copy landed this morning. Movie and a trailer on a DVD-9. No Heart of Darkness.

9. wally

wally Second Unit

Any word on the original cut going OOP?

10. Zack Scott

Zack Scott Stunt Coordinator

I doubt that Coppola would do that to his audience. There are some that perfer the original cut to Redux. He isn't like Lucas who would re-do a film and then say it's his definitave vision.

11. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

12. Trevor H

Trevor H Second Unit

Unless something has changed in the last few years both Apocalypse Now and Hearts Of Darkness are both owned by American Zoetrope and distributed by Paramount, so I can't see why they couldn't include it, although it doesn't matter to me because I own the Hearts Of Darkness laserdisc [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Trevor Harder
    My HT Page
    [email protected]

13. Tom Oh

Tom Oh Second Unit

I'd love to see the a box set with all versions and the Heart of Darkness docu and commentary to boot. Supposed 4~5? hour cut would be even better. I can't wait so I'll pick up the DVD.
    Have to disagree on the WB comment. I like the fact that WHV is releasing THE MATRIX REVISITED at a low price and not making us buy the same film over again. I prefer this to repackaged ultimate editions.
    ------------------

14. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

I saw this on the Future Shop flyer as well. I would buy this in an instant if it was true. I wonder who informed Future Shop of that?
    Jeff

15. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

The original is now OOP and I doubt he'll be releasing it again.
    Was the original negative spliced to produce the REDUX?
    ------------------
    British film-making at its finest.
    Superman CINEMA
    http://www.deceptions.net/superman

16. Anton Ruzic

Anton Ruzic Stunt Coordinator

quote: Was the original negative spliced to produce the REDUX?[/quote]
    So it would appear: http://www.avid.com/profiles/compose...pse/index.html
    “When everything was finally approved and we liked the version,” Murch said, “Francis and Vittorio took the decisive step of integrating the new material with the original negative of the 1979 master, and actually physically cutting them together. There are high quality interpositives of the 1979 film, but as far as original negative is concerned, this is the only version that now exists.”
    Anton
    [Edited last by Anton Ruzic on November 09, 2001 at 09:14 AM]

17. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Possibly there's a Canadian variant, like Ginger Snaps? Or maybe Future Shop is just engaging in wishful thinking...
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

18. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

The first line of the liner notes on the back of the DVD keepcase...
    "The definitive version of Francis Ford Coppola's stunning vision of the heart of darkness in all of us, re-edited and remastered with 49 minutes of additional footage..."
    I believe Coppola now considers this the definitive version of his film. After watching as much as I could last night, I agree completely. What I once considered a "flawed masterpiece" is now a more linear, more cohesive story. A masterpiece.

19. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Gotta disagree with you Robert, the new scenes add nothing to the film, they detract from it, especially the ponderous plantation scene that grinds the movie to a halt.
    Redux may be Coppola's definitive version, but I'll go with his original vision.

20. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I disagree intensely with the notion that Redux is a better film, but I know this is not the appropriate thread for such discussions. Let me just say that if you haven't seen it yet and come to your own conclusions, then I urge you to hang on like grim death to your "original cut" dvds as this version has been deemed "permanently retired" by Coppola & Co.
    IMO, Redux sucks. YMMV, but I think you'd better be sure before doing something drastic like unloading your original cut or not searching like mad for any remaining copies.