What's new

Apocalypse Now Redux - Plantation Scene (1 Viewer)

Brad Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, if you read the interview with Murch on DVDFile, you'll see that that sequence was indeed intended to possibly be a dream, and that's why they included the shot of the fog (which I think came from somewhere else in the film; they actually placed the plantation scene later in the film).

Your theory is really interesting, but I can't comment on it as I haven't seen ANR yet. I need to rent it and take a look before I decide whether or not it's worth a purchase. I am dissapointed that it's not an SE.

It's interesting, though, that Coppolla bashed the French-speaking actors (HOD is another thing I need to find and see), and yet he decided all these years later to reinsert the scene. You have to wonder if $$ were his motivation for doing this. If he made the film better, then, hey, great, and I know it was made under duress and he probably didn't have time to think about things, but I still wonder. I know he has said several times that he has no power anymore in Hollywood, so I wonder if all he has at this point are his old films, which he can rehash endlessly to make money.

Maybe the wine business isn't doing too well.

- Brad

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
It's interesting, though, that Coppolla bashed the French-speaking actors (HOD is another thing I need to find and see), and yet he decided all these years later to reinsert the scene. You have to wonder if $$ were his motivation for doing this.
but if he still doesn't actually like the French plantation scene and want it in the film, he could've made Redux without it and still released a longer cut of the film that would've earned the same amount of money.
DJ

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
I wonder what changed his mind?
Could we assume, perhaps, the possibility of selling another version of his film to the same old generation of suckers? :D
I mean no offense to anyone, really, since I'm as guilty as the next guy when it comes to buying every reissue of the same old movie.
But let's face it, the studios and those who own the rights to the movies must be laughing all the way to the bank now that we've entered the age of the deleted scene. They can add one discarded scene back at a time into your favorite movie and resell it to you all over again!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I'm in agreement with those that feel that the Redux scenes were not really an improvement.

I do think the Plantation has some things to add, but it's simply going in a different direction than the rest of the narrative. Better to pursue the concept in a different film or something.

The Playboy scene is redundent, we learn nothing new about the crew or the situation (in terms of philosophy/emotion).

The stolen surfboard is an outright BACKWARD STEP in the narrative, completely undermining both Sheen and Duvall's characters at the same time.

The Brando stuff is fine, but again I don't think it does much to add to the understanding of the characters that we already had.

As long as Coppola understands that Redux is not the ONLY version of AN, but rather a new and different version, and respects the fans' need to have both available to them, then I'm okay with it. I own the LD of the original cut and the DVD of Redux. I will watch Redux again from time to time but I greatly prefer the previous cut.

Greg Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
First of all, if this is a new edit with some alternate takes used, is there a site that lists the changes? I didn't notice any changes in the 'old' sections of the movie..

Also, did anyone else seem to think that Coppola was portraying the soldiers at the medical station (where the new bunny scene takes place) as gay? I thought it was odd when the soldiers that greeted him were speaking in those accents, then another soldier refers to himself as a girl. Do you suppose this added scene was supposed to be making some comment on man's sexual nature. Perhaps going along with the journey back in time/journey to a more primitive state theory of the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.