Apocalypse Now: Redux dvd release date

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveGon, Aug 29, 2001.

1. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

According to the Digital Bits, Apocalypse Now: Redux will be released on Nov. 20th. No specs as yet since it hasn't been officially announced. Still, I can't wait for this one! My poor wallet...
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
    "Mind if I use that line in my next Western?"

2. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

I am actually starting to think we are getting too many new DVD releases. I can hardly keep up with them anymore. I might break the 500 barrier before the end of the year if this keeps up.
    ------------------
    My Movie Collection on DVD and Laser Disc
    [Edited last by BrianP on August 30, 2001 at 12:12 AM]

3. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

Great news! Especially since I missed this in the theaters; closest it was playing for me was in San Francisco...aka The Land of No Parking Spaces. [​IMG]
    Apparently, DVD File has also reported the disc will come with a 5.1 transfer and the trailer as a bonus feature. Not loaded to the gills, but as long as the transfer is alright, I'll be a happy guy.
    My question is: will they have the original cut on this disc as well? Just so I know whether to make one or two purchases.
    Oh man, yet ANOTHER purchase this year. My bank account weeps for whatever 2001 releases that have yet to be announced.
    ------------------
    Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
    ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)
    [Edited last by Kevin Leonard on August 30, 2001 at 01:52 AM]

4. Gilbert Galindo

Gilbert Galindo Stunt Coordinator

They should get their heads out of their asses and finally give this move respect. Get Hearts of Darkness and a load of features on another disc then. Or 3 like Almost Famous. Get the god damn thing right the second time at least. What do we need to release this one a 3rd time. Wake up and smell the slim jims paramount!

5. Ali B

Ali B Second Unit

Heart of Darkness not being included with this disc is unforgiveable! How can you manage to screw up the release a second time around? If you can't change the redux disc, then at least release HoD seperately - I'd gladly pay money for it.
    ali

6. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

Not including a doc that was a theatrically released film in its own right AS AN EXTRA is disrespectful? A "screw up?"
    My god the sense of entitlement is strong here.

7. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I've seen Apocalypse Now more times than I can count. And I saw Apocalypse Now Redux, opening weekend.
    The word I've heard is that the original cut is now "permanently retired".
    And the DVD is going OOP.
    That's the one you need to get. The new cut is a far lessor film. Those who think Lucas has screwed up Star Wars have no idea what really screwing up a film is all about until they've seen Redux.
    The Bunny scene? Embarrassing.
    Willard stealing Kilgore's surfboard and then standing around exchanging shit-eating grins with the boys? Nothing at all like the distant, aloof, broken man that he's otherwise portrayed as.
    The "french plantation"? A didactic poly-sci lesson, with a brief love interest for Willard (replete with cheesy love interest music) that grinds the film to a halt.
    Redux is to Apocalypse Now what Godfather III is to the Godfather Trilogy.
    This is IMO, obviously, but I strongly urge you to get the original cut before it's too late. Especially if this is a film you've loved for a long, long time.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Wow, Al, that's the most negative assessment of the new cut I've ever read. As you know, the critics are falling all over themselves about this version.
    But I am sad to hear that the original cut is being put to pasture.
    No matter, I will purchase the new disc.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

9. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

Am I the only one who thought the French Plantation music right after the dinner scene and before they lit up the opium sounded like Final Fantasy music (from the games)?
    I'm definitely not thrilled that the original cut has been retired. A friend of mine felt Redux was a more politcal film with the French Plantation scene's dinner discussion, but to me, it just brought out to the open what was inherent in the subject matter.

10. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX should be retitled APOCALYPSE NOW REDUNDANT. For archival purposes I was glad to see it, but will stick with the theatrical cut on DVD and won't be buying the new one. As Al Brown stated, it forces changes on the character of Willard that simply aren't supported anywhere else in the film.
    And the much-touted plantation sequence is largely disastrous--Christian Marquand's accent is impossible to decipher, and the "romantic" dialog (on the order of "There are two of you--one who loves, and one who kills," repeated twice) is a hoot. Plus the scene comes at precisely the wrong time in the film, upsetting the flow.
    Bacically, what worked in the theatrical cut still works, what didn't still doesn't, and the additions add little.
    Director's cuts, by and large, leave me unmoved. Some are terrific (like THE ABYSS) while others I've seen make me feel like a favorite film has been mugged. APR is one of those.
    By the way, after three years (!) of highly enjoyable and edifying lurking, this is my first post. Good talking to you!
    ------------------

11. Dave H

Dave H Producer

It's ashame that so many directors see their special edition or "new cuts" of the original as the new or final version of their film. I just wish they'd keep the origimal available in addition to the new cut. But, I guess they see it all as "one" and not two versions in the end.

12. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I have to agree with Bob and Al-- the material is all interesting to a fan such as myself, but doesn't belong in the film. These would make marvelous supplements in a "deleted scenes" section, but this alteration of the whole film -- which was perfect to begin with -- is revisionism which smacks more of financial desperation than artistic merit (particularly as Coppola has said for years that the cut material -- especially the stop-the-story-dead-and-hit-us-over-the-head-with-a-hammer plantation sequence -- didn't belong in the film in the first place).

13. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Quote:

Wow, Al, that's the most negative assessment of the new cut I've ever read. As you know, the critics are falling all over themselves about this version.

That's not really true, though there are certainly those who've praised it. I'm only bringing this up because I fear that the original version will soon be gone forever ("permanently retired" in the words of Coppola) now that the DVD is OOP. And those who didn't get a chance to see REDUX should know.

Recently, we took apart the high "rottentomatoes" rating for Redux, noting that some negative reviews were deemed "positive", and other generally positive reviews viewed the new additions as "negative", and other positive reviews were by reviewers who admitted that they'd never seen the original or couldn't remember it:

1. RT says Thor Thorsen's review is a positive one, but regarding the new cut and the additional footage, Thorsen writes: "When is a classic not a classic? When it's weighed down with "new" material that deservedly ended up on the cutting-room floor the first time around."

2. RT says the E!Online review is a positive one, and then quotes the following from the review: "53 minutes longer, but it can't improve on the original cut."

3. RT says Allen Berra's review is a positive one, and pulls out the single positive quote from the entire review. But any fair reading of his review would conclude that it's negative and, regarding this issue in particular, suggests that the added footage only points up the inadequacies of the original. Berra's review is far more negative than positive, and should have been given a 'spoiled' tomato.

4. RT says Hoberman's review is a positive one, but it's decidedly mixed and ends with the following: "Nothing can redeem the movie's final 40 minutes. That may not be an ultimate horror, but it is a real one. The two major restored sequences — the reencounter with the Bunny chopper, evidently shot during a typhoon on a rain-demolished set, and the so-called French Plantation scene — are welcome mainly in that they serve to forestall the movie's inevitable collapse."

5. RT says the IFilm review is a positive one, but that review reads "The movie didn't "need" to be lengthened, but it's great to see the cut footage." Of course, I wanna see the cut footage, too, but is it a better film with it? I read this review as saying 'No'.

6. RT rightly calls the Flick Filosopher's review a positive one, but I think one would have to take into account the reviewer's admitted ignorance: "There are some serious gaps in my film education, I'm sorry to admit, but one of those gaps was recently filled when I saw APOCALYPSE NOW for the first time. Actually, I saw APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX, Francis Ford Coppola's expanded version of the film that the American Film Institute named one of its one hundred greatest films in the universe for all time now and forever. But I feel totally comfortable placing this review in my AFI 100 section because, frankly, ANR was one of the most profoundly amazing film experiences of my life, and even if the AFI wouldn't put this new cut among their top 100, I'd put it in my personal top 100. Probably my personal top 10."

7. Steve Rhodes' review is along the lines of the Flick Filosophers: "The question for reviewers is whether to evaluate APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX on its own or compare it to the original. Since it has been too long since I've seen the original, I'll evaluate it on its own. It's an incredible film and a classic, but it's not quite perfect...."

8. John Popick's rather ambivalent "positive" review reads: "Are the additions necessary? Probably not to us, but they were to Coppola, who originally scrambled to get Now ready for Cannes (it won the Golden Palm). If anything, it's an excuse to see the film on the big screen, and that's good enough for me...."

In addition to these, there were two flat-out negative reviews:

Eric Lurio writes: "Coppola has completely re-edited the film, adding the better part of an hour to it. The question does the added material add or detract from the experience? Sadly, for the most part, it detracts."
    Chuck Rudolph writes: "...tampering with a movie that is, by general consensus, an American classic is only a way to undo the success of the original film. I don’t remember anyone ever remarking that the Vietnam War needed to be sexier, funnier, or more romantic, and Coppola’s attempts to make it such only insult his previous intentions. If he felt his first cut of the movie was Vietnam, I can only assume that, with these extra 49 minutes of sub-par material that grind on like a car driving on the metal rims of its wheels, he feels Apocalypse Now Redux is, in addition to Vietnam, a rootin’-tootin’ good time."

But other critics did seem to notice the same critic-positive slant you did - and some were appalled. None moreso than David Edelstein:

"...the wonder is how many of my colleagues have proclaimed [the] three-and-a-half-hour Apocalypse Now Redux a triumph. I'd like a hit of whatever they've been smoking. The restored footage, nearly an hour of it, has at once bloated and diluted the work we've known and half-loved, undercutting its still-astonishing strengths while making its flaws leap out with unprecedented clarity. You can now fully appreciate the job that Coppola and his colleagues did in 1979 of salvaging what might have been a dud on the order of... Apocalypse Now Redux.

[...]

"The restored footage [...] leads nowhere: Coppola has added back all the digressions he took out to streamline the journey upriver. Until it arrives at the fortress of the shadowy lump, the original Apocalypse Now has a satisfying trajectory, from the black-comic carnage of Kilgore through the movie's most inspired sequence—the acid-carnival anarchy at the bridge at Do-Lung. Now there's a scene in which Willard mischievously steals a surfboard from Kilgore: a different side of the stolidly wracked Sheen but not one that's developed anywhere else. The bit plays like an outtake—as do most of the semi-improvised dialogues among Willard's crew (Albert Hall, Frederic Forrest, Sam Bottoms, the 14-year-old Larry Fishburne). Worse, there's now an interval between Kilgore's mysterious, "Someday this war's gonna end," and narrator Willard's rumination on the sentiment, which here comes from nowhere.

"What it loses in momentum, Redux gains in bare breasts. A rain-swept scene at a rubbled outpost, in which Willard trades fuel for the favors of a troupe of stranded Playboy bunnies, is a mortifying embarrassment. Milius has spoken of women as "sirens" who distract and weaken the soldiers. Coppola, more of a feminist (not hard), wants to have it both ways: to show them at once as miserably exploited and as jiggling bimbos. One centerfold strips down while twittering about her dehumanization: The monologue is so terrible (Feminism 101) and her delivery so abstracted that Coppola more than anyone seems to be using her and throwing her away. [...]

"There are still more bare breasts — Aurore Clement's — in the legendary French plantation interlude, which comes late in Redux and manages to dispel the cumulative power of the Sampan massacre and the Do-Lung Carnival of Souls. Lord, does it go on—it's as if Coppola is trying to distill every pretentious idea in French arthouse cinema into a single sequence. The idea is to invoke these faded aristocrats, madly clinging to their Western sense of entitlement as Cambodia explodes around them, to underscore the region's modern history of imperialist exploitation. But there's no drama—only thesis-mongering, with the barely intelligible Christian Marquand staring into his wine glass and railing at the morose Willard: "Zees is our home! ... We make somesing out of nossing. We fight for zat, while you Americans are fighting for ze beegest nossing!" The only pressing question is if Willard will sleep with the gorgeously enigmatic blonde, who is less fascinating when she speaks: "Ze war will still be here tomorrow." "Yeah, I guess you're right." The cinematography goes gauzy, the music sounds like something that issued from the elevator speakers at Plato's Retreat, and the topless Clement whispers into the ear of Sheen, who remains bug-eyed throughout their tryst: "Zere are two of you, don't you see? One zat keels and one zat loves." Deep-sixing Frog Hell was the smartest thing that Coppola ever did.

"Probably if Redux hadn't been acclaimed as a newly minted masterpiece, I wouldn't have felt so compelled to blow raspberries. But Coppola, like many brilliant and unstable artists, is his own worst enemy, and he needs to be dissuaded from heading back into jungles he was lucky to have escaped in the first place.

"Now for God's sake, Francis: Let The Cotton Club lie. Sometimes it's better to stay on the boat."

Worth reading the whole thing: http://slate.msn.com/moviereview/01-...oviereview.asp

14. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

You guys are talking me out of getting the extended cut if it's a bare bones disc without the original cut. I will just keep my original cut until Coppola and Paramount come to their senses, and release a 3 disc special edition with both versions included.
    ------------------
    My Movie Collection on DVD and Laser Disc

15. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Bob C., I'm honored that you picked my thread for your first reply! Keep on posting! [​IMG]
    Now on with the topic at hand. I've read with interest the negative views on AN:R. I must admit that as excited as I was upon hearing of this new version of AN:R, I had my doubts. However, I pushed them aside when the reviews came out - the ones I read were all positive. Now those doubts have come into play again. I think I'll rent this one first, especially since it is apparently going to be a bare-bones release. And I will be holding on to the original version!
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
    "Mind if use that line in my next western?"
    [Edited last by SteveGon on August 30, 2001 at 01:32 PM]
    [Edited last by SteveGon on August 30, 2001 at 01:34 PM]