What's new

Apocalypse Now Redux - 1 disc / Godfather II - 2 disc (1 Viewer)

Chris Stone

Agent
anyone know why Godfather Part II is spread out on two disc while Apocalypse Now Redux fits on one disc - given the same running time it seems kind of odd, and both a Coppola movies from Zoetrope

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Coppola's commentary on Godfather II took up that much more of the data stream so as to degrade the video quality. Since there is no commentary on AN:Redux, the film fits nicely on one DVD without sacrificing any video quality.

Regards,

D

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
As someone said they should´ve released one disc with the Audio from the movie and one with the Commentary instead of splitting up the movie over two discs...

That way it´s more convinient to watch Godfather II.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I don't believe that's it at all. JFK sits comfortably on one disc with commentary.

I spoke to someone about this and they pointed out that the grainier the movie the higher the bit required to avoid artefacting. This seemed odd until I considered that it's movement that upsets mpeg compression so a very noisy image must have a lot of movement.

I'd suggest that in order to get a DVD output of sufficient visual quality they were going to have to spread it across two discs, regardless of the commentary.

I don't know for sure but that would be my inference.

Having never seen the movie before I was surprised at how little problem I found with this break.

HenrikTull

Second Unit
Well, The Godfather Part II had an intermission in theaters where the break is on the DVD's, Apocalypse Now: Redux did not have an intermission.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Theo,
I completely forgot about JFK. Good call. While the film grain/MPEG theory may be true, I still think that Part II's extra running time plus the commentary were enough to push the video quality over the edge(Enhancement?;) ). Granted this is just my never-humble opinion and I'm certainly open to other explanations.
Henrik,
Theatrical intermissions are not at issue here. What it boils down to is the general laziness of most DVD-philes(Myself included) when it comes to actually having to hit the eject button and flip sides/change discs to continue watching a film. I'm sure that if the quality of AN:Redux were to be compromised by a commentary, that Coppola would have broken the film into two parts and we would have received a 2-disc package.
At any rate, a commentary by Coppola on Redux would have been interesting. Whether it would have split the film across two discs is anyone's guess.
Regards,
D

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I spoke to someone about this and they pointed out that the grainier the movie the higher the bit required to avoid artefacting.
Also a challenge to MPEG compression are dark scenes requiring subtle distinctions between differing degrees of blackness. G2 has a lot more of those than, say JFK.

M.

Rolando

Screenwriter
PLEASE this is NOT directed at ANYONE in particular so again please no one take offense but:

FOR FUCK'S SAKE PEOPLE GET OVER IT!!! We have the Godfather trilogy in our hands!!! It is in it's OAR, it is anamorphic, they remixed the audio heck FRANCIS FORD FRIGGING COPPOLA DID A COMMENTARY FOR ALL THREE!!! There is an EXTRA disk with features I mean what more could you possibly want???

So Part 2 was split into 2 disks... SO WHAT??? Was it for fun? Was it to piss you off? NO. I was a decision made so we can get the best possible picture and what happens? YOU BITCH ABOUT IT!!!

Would you rather the debate be the opposite? That we would be here bitching about the video quality saying:"maybe if they had put it on 2 disks the quality would have been better..." Instead we second guess the makers of this baby. Maybe it could have been done on one disk but maybe not. I will accept the safe route to insure best A/V quality.

So stop moaning, you never saw Godfather 2 uninterrupted before. In theatres there was an intermission, on video it was on 2 tapes, on LD well we know LDs... And worse on TV you had an interruption every 15 minutes and it was Pan and Crap!!!

Ok... That felt good.

I love you guys!

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
CHILL Girlfriend!!
;)
I saw Godfather 2 in one sitting. This release is like a flipper but i accept that because it´s a Looong movie. So there.
/Niko
btw, I LOVE You too!
;)

Rolando

Screenwriter
LOL

You guys rock, this is better than therapy! Don't you agree Rolando? Yes Rolando, I do...

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
Godfather II is 1.85 to 1. Apocalypse Now is approx 2 to 1. Even when encoded as anamorphic video, 1.85 transfers utilize more of the available screen space. This means Apocalypse now has more black at the top and bottom of the picture (though not much being at approx 2 to 1). Since the black never changes, it takes less space to encode, and leaves more apsce for the rest of the picture.

Put that together with the commentary on GFII and it's high amount of picture grain, it's a no brainer as to why it's on 2 discs.

The two disc solution for Godfather with one disc having commentary and the other without is an intriguing idea, but I feel they made the right decision, as the original release had an intermission, and the current discs recreate that.

Also, since the video only had to be encoded once, the picture quality is probably better had there been a commentary disc and movie disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.