What's new

APOCALYPSE NOW Blu-ray: Oct. 19, 2010 (2 versions) (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Originally Posted by John Hodson

Looking at the box art, interesting that the spine bears both the Lionsgate AND the Paramount logos.
I'm wondering if that's just preliminary art; granted, Paramount has distributed every video release of Apocalypse Now with the exception of this release, but Paramount's only claim to video rights is through its distribution deal with American Zoetrope. Apocalypse Now was released theatrically by United Artists and Redux was released by Miramax. If memory serves, both Apocalypse Now and The Conversation were released in their original incarnations with a Zoetrope Studios side banner on VHS and LD. I'll be curious to see if the Paramount logo stays on the final art.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

3 Disc set is a no brainer, but I like the 2 disc art better. Oh well. Seems like it will be awesome, though.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Hodson 30#post_3714169

Looking at the box art, interesting that the spine bears both the Lionsgate AND the Paramount logos.
Since the Paramount logo is on the 3-disc but not on the 2-disc artwork, my guess would be that it has to do with the inclusion of Hearts of Darkness.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by WillG

3 Disc set is a no brainer, but I like the 2 disc art better. Oh well. Seems like it will be awesome, though.

Agreed. Why does that always seem to be the case? Anytime you can use Bob Peak artwork, you should.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Holy shit! I thought I'd never see a proper OAR presentation of AN........I'll be getting the 3-disc set. and bring on The Conversation!!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
If the OAR thing can be confirmed then bring it on. Maybe Storaro finally had a change of heart about Univisium (his 2:1 malarky) when he started viewing his films in HD.

Anybody know if Hearts of Darkness has been remastered? IIRC one of the directors was unhappy that Paramount used an interlaced source for the previous release.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by WillG

I just don't understand why Storaro insists on pissing off fans of the films he shot. NO ONE wants this cropping on A.N. etc. but him. And of course televisions have changes since he started this campaign and we have Blu-Ray now, so from a resolution standpoint this is moot.

As they say, power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Storaro, a great cinematographer, was apparently given absolute control over the video transfers. He f**ked his own movie, and he doesn't seem to know it. He just loves having the power to give the world what HE wants. My take on it: it's strictly an ego thing, because you're right, Will...NO ONE wants this cropping but him. But it seems this Blu-ray might actually be the original uncropped version. I will believe it when I see it.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
So will I, and I will not waste one precious minute before purchasing my copy.

Please, gods, don't let us down.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow (emphasis mine):

If this is truly 2.35:1, I'm in. But where is the Coppola feature commentary track? I'd love to retire my DVD, but don't want to lose that.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Dick, that's a good catch. My gut instinct tells me that his commentary track for both versions of the film will be preserved here, given that pretty much all the other features were carried over from the Complete Dossier except for the FAQ. But we'll know more as we get closer to the release date.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Dick, that's a good catch. My gut instinct tells me that his commentary track for both versions of the film will be preserved here, given that pretty much all the other features were carried over from the Complete Dossier except for the FAQ.
I can't imagine they would drop the commentary as well if they're porting over the other stuff. I've seen other cases of commentary left off the special features lists. I think there was one recently, but I can't seem to remember it. The press release mentions 9 hours of special features. Commentary time usually is counted in the hours of special features. So it seems pretty clear that the commentary is included.

As for the Aspect Ratio, just saw this from the Lionsgate official press release posted by Ron about a half hour ago:

Also for the first time, these movies will be presented for home entertainment audiences in their original theatrical aspect ratios (2.35:1).

Assuming Storaro doesn't slap an injunction on this release, one of my cinematic Holy Grails will now be fufilled.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is such good news...

Among other things, it gives me hope for an OAR The Last Emperor (which makes great sense since I just pulled the trigger on the Criterion Blu-ray release during the B&N sale figuring it would be the best we get for many, many years).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Great news on the OAR! As someone who is not big on extras but has never seen the documentary, is Heart of Darkness good enough to justify an additional $20 cost for the 3-disc set (based on the msrp that was given in the press release Ron posted)? Right now I am leaning towards the two-disc set unless someone can convince me that the documentary is something special, and not a typical "making -of" documentary.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
As someone who is not big on extras but has never seen the documentary, is Heart of Darkness good enough to justify an additional $20 cost for the 3-disc set
If you are interested in AN and interested in one of the best making of docs. ever. I would say go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks