What's new

APOCALYPSE NOW Blu-ray: Oct. 19, 2010 (2 versions) (1 Viewer)

Robert George

Screenwriter
From what I know, Storaro did not supervise the new transfer for the upcoming Blu-ray. Those expecting a cropped aspect ratio may be disappointed.

If that's the right word.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm sure we'll see it up here in a few minutes, but Lionsgate announced the title for October 19th. There will be two editions. One is the 2-Film set, which has both versions of the movie. Then there's the Full Disclosure version, which will also include Hearts of Darkness, a booklet, etc.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
No guarantee of that; remember that Bertolucci approved of Storaro's modifications for the Criterion releases of The Last Emperor, so we can't say for sure that Coppola is going with 2.35:1. If memory serves, Coppola signed off on the last set of Apocalypse Now DVDs @ 2:1.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
"Looks like Coppola supervised the transfers, so that means, 2.35:1"

Well that would mean redoing the whole HD transfer(wouldn't it) something I don't think a company like Lionsgate

is up to doing.Only if Coppola himself dosn't care for the cropping ,would he dare insult Storaro,with a totally

new version.

When The Last Emperor BR came out ,most of the press didn't say much or anything how cropped the film was.

and that one of the few standard Pal dvds

I guess if the BR's are cropped ,we know what transfer they used

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4914

Lionsgate Announces Apocalypse Now Blu-ray Share16 Posted July 26, 2010 12:54 PM by Juan Calonge

lionsgate.jpg
Lionsgate President and Co-Chief Operating Officer Steve Beeks and filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola announced today that Lionsgate and American Zoetrope have entered into a multi-year home entertainment distribution agreement (including Blu-ray). The first title released as part of the deal was Coppola latest film, Tetro; the next one will be the renowned and award-winning war film Apocalypse Now, scheduled for Blu-ray release on October 19.

With new transfers supervised directly by Coppola, Apocalypse Now will come out in two deluxe editions: the 2-Film Set, and the 3-disc Full Disclosure Edition.

The 2-Film Set will include both Apocalypse Now - The 1979 Cut and Apocalypse Now Redux and will also include over nine hours of special features.

The Full Disclosure Edition will add the seminal making-of documentary Hearts of Darkness, a 48-page collectible booklet and storyboard, photo and marketing archives.

"We are thrilled to be in business with Francis Ford Coppola, one of the greatest filmmakers of our time," said Beeks. "Having directed, produced and written some of the most financially successful and critically acclaimed movies in U.S. cinematic history, Coppola is one of the masters of modern cinema. We are honored to add a selection of his most renowned and personal works to our library and look forward to releasing these titles on all formats."

"With their expertise in the home entertainment marketplace, we consider Lionsgate to be the perfect partner to distribute some of my most enduring films," said Coppola. "We are excited to be collaborating with them and hope to continue to enthrall our existing fans while also reaching a whole new audience for these films by presenting them in the highest quality format available along with exceptional in-depth special features."

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neski bill-hunt-has-rumor-mill-info-for-bd-of-apocalypse-now-redux#post_3713718 "Looks like Coppola supervised the transfers, so that means, 2.35:1" Well that would mean redoing the whole HD transfer(wouldn't it) something I don't think a company like Lionsgate is up to doing.Only if Coppola himself dosn't care for the cropping ,would he dare insult Storaro,with a totally new version.
From the Zoetrope website: "Mr Coppola and I agree with Storaro's views and accepted his decision" (Kim Aubry, Producer of Apocalypse Now Redux) I'll be doing cartwheels if Coppola has come to his senses at last.
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein ), the leading next generation studio, has entered into a multi-year home entertainment distribution agreement with legendary filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola's Zoetrope Corporation, it was announced today by Lionsgate President and Co-Chief Operating Officer Steve Beeks and Francis Ford Coppola on behalf of American Zoetrope. Under the terms of the arrangement, Lionsgate obtains the North American DVD, Blu-ray, Electronic-sell-through (EST), Video-on-demand (VOD) and broadcast television distribution rights to some of the most important films in American cinema from master filmmaker Coppola, including Apocalyse Now, Apocalyse Now Redux and others, as well as the North American DVD, Blu-ray, EST and VOD rights to The Conversation. The first title to be released as part of the deal was Tetro, Coppola's most recent theatrical release and first original screenplay since The Conversation, as well as his most personal film to date. "We are thrilled to be in business with Francis Ford Coppola, one of the greatest filmmakers of our time," said Beeks. "Having directed, produced and written some of the most financially successful and critically acclaimed movies in U.S. cinematic history, Coppola is one of the masters of modern cinema. We are honored to add a selection of his most renowned and personal works to our library and look forward to releasing these titles on all formats." "With their expertise in the home entertainment marketplace, we consider Lionsgate to be the perfect partner to distribute some of my most enduring films," said Coppola. "We are excited to be collaborating with them and hope to continue to enthrall our existing fans while also reaching a whole new audience for these films by presenting them in the highest quality format available along with exceptional in-depth special features." The next release under the Zoetrope/Lionsgate partnership will come October 19th, when Lionsgate will unveil Apocalypse Now for the first time ever in High Definition. Apocalypse Now is widely recognized as one of the cinematic masterpieces of the late 20th century. An Academy Award® nominee for Best Picture in 1979 and ranked 28th on the AFI's list of 100 Years...100 Movies, the movies features an all-star cast including Marlon Brando, Martin Sheen, Robert Duvall, Laurence Fishburne, Dennis Hopper and Harrison Ford in memorable roles. With new transfers supervised directly by Coppola, Apocalypse Now will premiere on Blu-ray in two deluxe editions: the 2-Film Set and the 3-disc Full Disclosure Edition. The 2-Film Set will include both Apocalypse Now - The 1979 Cut and Apocalypse Now Redux and will also include over nine hours of special features. The Full Disclosure Edition will include the seminal making-of documentary Hearts of Darkness, a 48-page collectible booklet and storyboard, photo and marketing archives. Another critically acclaimed Zoetrope film that Lionsgate will distribute under the deal is The Conversation. Starring Gene Hackman as a private detective who becomes obsessed with one of his cases, The Conversation won the 1974 Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival and was selected in 1995 for preservation in the Library of Congress by the U.S. National Film Registry for its cultural significance. The deal with American Zoetrope continues to build on Lionsgate's tremendous success distributing product from some of the most prominent libraries in the world. Consisting of approximately 12,000 motion picture titles and television episodes, Lionsgate has one of the largest and most prestigious libraries in the entertainment industry with titles ranging from Dirty Dancing, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Basic Instinct, Reservoir Dogs, Monster's Ball, Crash and Rambo.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
They have a new contract with Coppola and American Zoetrope. They already did the release of Tetro, and they're moving forward with this one. Their press release says their next Coppola Blu will be The Conversation. Sounds like they'd kill us if they got the chance...

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
I don't know how these negotiations work but I wonder if Paramount made any kind of counter-offer.

The Full Disclosure Edition will be mine!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
a multi-year home entertainment distribution agreement with legendary filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola's Zoetrope Corporation

Bet this means that we won't see Tucker until it's 25th Anniversary in 2013 .

Next to AN, this would be my most wanted FFC film, and high up on my most wanted of any film on Bd.

I don't know how these negotiations work but I wonder if Paramount made any kind of counter-offer.

I don't think Paramount wants to release any catalog titles right now. When the Republic catalog reverted to them, they took out It's A Wonderful Life and dumped everything else back to Lionsgate who has been releasing old Paramount titles somewhat steadily since.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Could it be that we're getting the real OAR? That's what IGN says (emphasis mine):

Lionsgate has given us the scoop on the HD debut of Francis Ford Coppola's critically acclaimed masterpiece, due for release on Oct. 19. There will be two versions available, a three-disc Full Disclosure edition, retailing at $59.99, and a two-disc Two Film Set, which will carry an SRP of $39.99. Cinephiles will be especially pleased to note that both the original 1979 theatrical version and the recut Apocalypse Now Redux will be presented for the first time on home video in their original theatrical aspect ratios (2.35:1).

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
wow there are so many interestin g special features :

"Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse" including optional audio commentary with Eleanor and Francis Ford Coppola

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The box art, the supplemental features, the overall package but above all the fact that common sense AR wise has prevailed - this is fantastic news.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Looking over my SD copies of Apocalypse Now (the 1979 cut), The Complete Dossier and Hearts of Darkness, I can say that the following are new special features:

-The 48 Page Booklet (I wonder if it includes the original program, which was excerpted on the original Paramount DVD)

-John Milius Script Excerpt

-Storyboard Gallery

-Photo Gallery

-Marketing Archive

-"A Conversation with Martin Sheen"

-"An Interview with John Milius"

-Coppola/Ebert 2001 Cannes Interview

What I'm not seeing here from the earlier releases is:

-Theatrical Trailer (on the 1979 cut DVD) (Maybe in the Marketing Archive?)

-Excerpts from the Original Theatrical Program (on the 1979 cut DVD) (Maybe in the booklet?)

-Technical FAQ (on The Complete Dossier DVD)

-Coda: 30 Years Later (from the Hearts of Darkness DVD) (really about Youth Without Youth)

Everything else listed in the IGN article was already included on one of the previously issued DVDs by Paramount. (When Hearts of Darkness hit DVD in 2007, they included the Coppolas' commentary along with the Coda I list here)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks