What's new

APOCALYPSE NOW Blu-ray: Oct. 19, 2010 (2 versions) (1 Viewer)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Both cuts of the film + the Hearts of Darkness documentary = Day 1 purchase for me!!!

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I have the DVD of Hearts of Darkness with the material on Youth Without Youth. I'd be happy to see everything rolled into one package, hopefully with more behind-the-scenes footage. Given the sheer amount of footage that Eleanor Coppola shot, I have a feeling there's still plenty of material to be mined.

As a side note, I actually saw Hearts of Darkness in a movie theater in Berkeley almost 20 years ago. When the immortal line "I just swallowed a bug" came up, I literally saw an entire audience of several hundred people roar with laughter at the same time. Unintentional hilarity at its best...

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I wonder if it will be in the original theatrical aspect ratio or cropped like the DVD releases?

-Keith

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Originally Posted by Keith Plucker

I wonder if it will be in the original theatrical aspect ratio or cropped like the DVD releases?
My money's on cropped.

Of course I'd love to be wrong.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by SD_Brian

My money's on cropped.
Of course I'd love to be wrong.

That would be where my money would be, too.

Since Criterion released a cropped version of The Last Emperor (at Vittorio Storaro's behest), I would suspect the same will be true here.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Storraro seems to have acquired the belief that 2:1 is a kind of "golden ratio" for framing, so he requests that films originally framed wider, such as AN, be cropped to fit the new ideal.

Jarod M

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

Why has the film been cropped? I didn't know this

The film hasn't been altered in theatrical showings, like the Redux showing I saw earlier this year. Home theater doesn't qualify for this treatment of the film according to the filmmakers.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
I can't understand why Bill didn't say anything about the cropping,sure its to early to

know,but he makes it sound like including Hearts of Darkness(which out on DVD already)

Is all that needs to be done,I would guess this will be cropped too!

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
When asked about this in an email posted a few months back, Storaro said that he thought 2:1 was the best ratio for home theater viewing, even though the theatrical prints remain at 2.35:1. This was in spite of being asked about the fact that he was cropping off some of his own work. It's just the way he wants it seen on home TV sets.

I retain hope for the future. If we could get widescreen releases of Stanley Kubrick's later movies (which he insisted on having in 1.33:1 for home viewing based on TV set sizes, etc), perhaps this can be addressed in another 20 years...

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
as i said many times before: cropporama on apocalypse now will not be supported by myself!

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
It'd be cool if they did for Hearts of Darkness what MGM did for the Bond documentaries: remaster it in HD and include HD clips of the film. The end result would be a mix of aspect ratios but it'd look much better.

As for the 2:1 cropping of the film, I give up.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
When asked about this in an email posted a few months back, Storaro said that he thought 2:1 was the best ratio for home theater viewing, even though the theatrical prints remain at 2.35:1. This was in spite of being asked about the fact that he was cropping off some of his own work. It's just the way he wants it seen on home TV sets.

I just don't understand why Storaro insists on pissing off fans of the films he shot. NO ONE wants this cropping on A.N. etc. but him. And of course televisions have changes since he started this campaign and we have Blu-Ray now, so from a resolution standpoint this is moot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks