What's new

Apocalypse Now, anyone? (1 Viewer)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
didn't i read in a rumour mill that Apocalypse Now is on the 2009 release schedule? if so...cool! let's get some "Godfather"-style restoration on this film. I'm tired of seeing all of the edge enhancement...

If I were to choose one over the other...the theatrical version would be preferred...although both cuts would be preferable with a host of extra deleted scenes as a special feature in HD
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
...even if they haven't been preserved well.

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
There have been a few versions of this movie released - in various aspect ratios, longer cuts, theatrical versions, special editions, etc. Apocalypse Now Redux is my favorite version and my dream release of this would be a multi-disc set containing:

1. The theatrical version.
2. The Redux version.
3. Hearts Of Darkness
4. All the previously released extras (trailers, deleted scenes, commentaries, etc.) and more.
5. Everything in its OAR.

Let's get it all in one package and avoid all the double and triple-dipping that plagued the SDVD release(s).

Brad

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member

That makes a hell of a lot of LOGICAL sense to me, ;) but count on the Studio to try to make us buy it a 1/2 dozen times like before so their bottom line is fattened at our expense. That is if we are like sheep & walk to the cash register, Credit Card or $$ in hand each time it is re-released.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Well, your dreams might come true for 1-4 but there's no way in coldest hell that you'll get #5...and I'm just as bummed as you are...

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Blu-ray.com has details of the upcoming German release of Apocalypse Now:

Universum Film has announced and detailed the Blu-ray release of Francis Ford Coppola's 'Apocalypse Now Redux' for January 29, 2010. The feature will be presented in 1.99:1 1080p video, accompanied by English and German DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtracks. There is no information regarding region encoding.

Special features include:

* Kurtz compound alternate ending (with optional commentary by Francis Ford Coppola)
* Statement by cinematographer Vittorio Storaro regarding the film's aspect ratio
* US trailer

Only the Redux version, cropped, seems a little bereft of extras, other than that everything's peachy - Storaro's 'statement' should be interesting.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely bizarre that it's been cropped yet again. That 'statement' should be interesting especially given the original supposed reason for cropping from the start which makes absolutely zero sense with Blu-ray and today's displays. But, we'll see...

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Dave H

Absolutely bizarre that it's been cropped yet again. That 'statement' should be interesting especially given the original supposed reason for cropping from the start which makes absolutely zero sense with Blu-ray and today's displays. But, we'll see...
Actually, it's rather consistent for it to be cropped on Blu-ray, too. See: The Last Emperor.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Dave H

Agreed!

Even so I don't have much hope that we'll ever get the theatrical AR.

At this point I'm just about as worried that we'll get the Redux version only which would not make me happy. Not happy at all.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
If it's Redux only, no sale. I'm fine if a director wants to make some changes provided that the Theatrical cuts are still available. But, I hate it when the newer version becomes the default version.

No reason the commentary should not be included. And yeah, We'll probably never see this film in it's theatrical AR. It will be interesting to see Storaro's explanation on the AR, but I'm not holding my breath for a satisfactory answer. Will probably be along the lines of "This is the AR I've always envisioned......yada yada yada" I hope I'm proven wrong

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by WillG

If it's Redux only, no sale. I'm fine if a director wants to make some changes provided that the Theatrical cuts are still available. But, I hate it when the newer version becomes the default version.

No reason the commentary should not be included. And yeah, We'll probably never see this film in it's theatrical AR. It will be interesting to see Storaro's explanation on the AR, but I'm not holding my breath for a satisfactory answer. Will probably be along the lines of "This is the AR I've always envisioned......yada yada yada" I hope I'm proven wrong
Not to mention that the Univisium format was devised almost twenty years after Apocalypse Now was made. He seems to think that the theater screen and the television screen are two entirely different media, but they really aren't.
But, as it's only the Redux cut, I'm not interested in this. I like the controversial plantation scene, but it really doesn't fit in the movie.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by WillG

Storaro's explanation on the AR, but I'm not holding my breath for a satisfactory answer. Will probably be along the lines of "This is the AR I've always envisioned......yada yada yada" I hope I'm proven wrong
He is just wrong. He says his inspiration is Leonardo's The Last Supper, yet the ratio of that painting is 1.913:1 (880 cm x 460 cm) not 2.00:1.

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke
Now, there’s this rumor they’re going to retransfer Apocalypse Now at 1:2.35 — I will not do it. I will not do it. Because on a television it doesn’t work.

Filmmaker: Not even if it’s being played on an HD 16:9 screen?
Storaro: 16:9 should be changed.
Filmmaker: There would still be black bars, but it would be less…
Storaro: No, no. We should change the screen and make it 18:9.

Storaro in an interview with Filmmaker Magazine (June 2007). He's so wrong, even a decade after his invention of his 2.00:1 Univisium format.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Blimey, there's a frisson of 'You WILL bend to my will!!' about that quote isn't there? Sorry, but a cropped VHS tape, followed by two cropped DVD releases is as far as I go in 'Univisium'.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Are you sure REDS is cropped to 2:1? I haven't watched it entirely yet, but I did watch the first 30-minutes of so a few months ago via the HD-DVD and recall it being 1.85:1.

Also, at least one Storaro film has survived on Blu-ray in its OAR- Dario Argento's THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE.

Vincent

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Blu-ray.com reports Reds as 1.78:1, the Beaver says, 1.85:1, measuring his own 'caps I, it looks to be 1.77:1 - but what's a few pixels between comrades?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks