What's new

Pre-Order Apocalypse Now: 40th Anniversary Edition (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
My OPPO 203 does not play the 4K discs properly. All blacks show up as crimson. I had to watch the digital copy to see Dolby Vision, but lost the Atmos in the process, as my TV does not pass Atmos. This seems to be a problem with all Paramount 4K discs, as A Star Is Born had the same problem. Is anyone else with an OPPO experiencing this?
Going into the Dolby Vision menu on the OPPO and changing it from AUTO to TV Led fixed the problem.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
If his TV isn't DV capable then the player and display should auto-negotiate HDR playback. However, I had a similar problem with 2001: A Space Odyssey on my 203. Contacted Oppo support and they gave me a beta firmware release that completely fixed the issue. My display, however, does support DV.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Yes, it does handle DV. Perhaps his TV doesn't do DV?
I have an LG OLED. All other DV discs I have display DV just fine, as did the download from this set (via VUDU). Only the 3 4K discs mentioned (ASIB, and both 4K ANs) gave me a problem. I got the menu change tip on another thread, and have no idea why AUTO would turn everything crimson, but it's obviously an OPPO firmware problem.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
In any case:

As is:

With Coppola commentary:

I'd never heard this commentary before for this section. The commentary really explains why FFC's preferred ending is actually more hopeful rather than almost nihilistic. I still wish this cut would be included to give the experience of how some of us experienced the movie forty years ago, but I respect his artistic choice to go in a more positive direction.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Has anyone else experienced a glitch with the 4K iTunes version? I’m talking specifically about the 4K theatrical cut that is included as an extra on the Final Cut iTunes listing. The image freezes at 4 minutes 15 seconds and doesn’t recover until after the 9 minute mark. I got the same glitch on 2 separate Apple TV’s and on my iPhone. If you play back in HD it’s fine, but 4K playback does this.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Has anyone else experienced a glitch with the 4K iTunes version? I’m talking specifically about the 4K theatrical cut that is included as an extra on the Final Cut iTunes listing. The image freezes at 4 minutes 15 seconds and doesn’t recover until after the 9 minute mark. I got the same glitch on 2 separate Apple TV’s and on my iPhone. If you play back in HD it’s fine, but 4K playback does this.
I have the same issue and the issue is even longer than you indicated during my playback of that 4K digital.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have the same issue and the issue is even longer than you indicated during my playback of that 4K digital.
After playing around some more with it, that 4K digital of the theatrical cut is really screwed up as there are the same issues later in the movie. I wonder if people are complaining to iTunes about it?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
After playing around some more with it, that 4K digital of the theatrical cut is really screwed up as there are the same issues later in the movie. I wonder if people are complaining to iTunes about it?
I hope so, and while they're at it also complain that the Redux version still isn't 4K. :angry: I have a feeling they haven't been bombarded with complaints because hardly anyone is choosing the theatrical cut as the version they want to watch. I only discovered it by sampling that version, myself.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I hope so, and while they're at it also complain that the Redux version still isn't 4K. :angry: I have a feeling they haven't been bombarded with complaints because hardly anyone is choosing the theatrical cut as the version they want to watch. I only discovered it by sampling that version, myself.

My UHD disc package arrived last week, and I watched the Final Cut version for the first time a couple of days ago. While it's an improvement over the Redux version, I think I still prefer the Theatrical Cut. Had Coppola left the French plantation scene and surf board stealing scenes out of the Final Cut, I think it would have been perfect. That plantation scene just kills the flow for me every time I see it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’d maybe keep the board, ditch plantation, possibly add back rainy next day scene with the playgirls.

This is one of the few movies where I’d genuinely have fun if the disc offered a “mix and match” option for which tangents to include. Depending on my mood, sometimes I want the kitchen sink, and other times I want the quick ride.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I’d maybe keep the board, ditch plantation, possibly add back rainy next day scene with the playgirls.

This is one of the few movies where I’d genuinely have fun if the disc offered a “mix and match” option for which tangents to include. Depending on my mood, sometimes I want the kitchen sink, and other times I want the quick ride.
I can do without the 2nd Playboy Bunny scene. I was fine with that being gone from the Final Cut.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Totally. I meant more, if you’re gonna keep something that wasn’t strictly necessary, I’d take that over the plantation.
Well, yeah, there are naked women. Who wouldn't take that over the boring plantation scene? :dance:

...and yes, I realize there's a naked woman in the plantation scene... but it's still really boring and unnecessary. ;)

Britton

Screenwriter
I just ordered up the Apple TV 4K 32GB from AT&T (they have it on sale for $90), and I see that the theatrical 4K is messed up in the extras for The Final Cut. I am not familiar enough with iTunes, but is there a way to reach out to Apple about this? I guess I could call up their technical support line. I have found their customer service to be excellent and I would hope that would extend to iTunes purchases as well. I know for a fact that movies do get fixed on their platform because their copy of 2001: A Space Odyssey fixed the infamous missing fade, whereas Vudu never got the fix.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

Kind of like my idea of boxing The Hobbit Extended Edition Trilogy with a copy of Final Cut Pro so amateur editors could fashion a cohesive 2-2.5 hour edit out of the morass of footage there? ;)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Hey Robert, Theatrical 4K appears to be fixed now. Somebody must have brought it to their attention. Still no 4K on redux, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks