Pre-Order Apocalypse Now: 40th Anniversary Edition (4k UHD) Available for Preorder

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Three copies left at Target when I got there on Tuesday. Walmart price-match plus 15% Cartwheel coupon plus 5% RedCard discount made it a no-brainer (especially since I never got it on BD).

Now, the key question: I'm going to try and get my teenager to watch it with me this weekend. Which cut should I go with? I've only seen the theatrical. (I went to see Redux when it came out, but the print had a huge scratch down the middle that went on for about 20 minutes before we took off.)

BTW, is it just me, or is this one of the stupidest boxes ever? What's with the flaps???

Kyle_D

Second Unit
I'd definitely go with the Theatrical Cut for a first time viewer, especially if you're watching at home. I actually really like the Final Cut, but the plantation scene still kills the film's momentum. On the big screen, the scene adds to the cumulative sensation at the end that you've gone on a long, hallucinatory journey up the river, but it functions more as a respite from the intensity of what comes before and after than as something that's integral to the story. You don't need that respite when you've got a pause button.

Last edited:

Bob Cashill

Senior HTF Member
My preference is the theatrical cut with the explosive air strike closing credits but that seems to be unavailable. When was the last time we saw those?

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
My preference is the theatrical cut with the explosive air strike closing credits but that seems to be unavailable. When was the last time we saw those?
Those closing credits--which I also love--are available as an extra on the 2nd disc of the "Full Disclosure" box set(but with Coppola occasionally talking over it, saying that the compound was never supposed to be destroyed in the film, and including this footage as end credits confused people, so he took it off).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Those closing credits--which I also love--are available as an extra on the 2nd disc of the "Full Disclosure" box set(but with Coppola occasionally talking over it, saying that the compound was never supposed to be destroyed in the film, and including this footage as end credits confused people, so he took it off).
That's good to know as I have that box set.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I think the destruction footage is there on all DVD/blu-ray versions.

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
I've owned this multiple times on DVD & Blu, and the only issue that I've been able to find the destruction footage is on the FULL DISCLOSURE set as an extra.

Also, on that extra, Coppola states explicitly that he left this footage off all Home Video releases (other than the first VHS release) because people thought that meant that the compound was actually destroyed in the end, and Coppola wanted the opposite impression in terms of Willard's character transformation: that he has gone beyond war and destruction, which is why he hands the blade to someone as he leaves.

Bob Cashill

Senior HTF Member
Maybe as an extra but not as part of the film; it's not part of the prior five-film Coppola set, either. It is somewhat confusing, as Chef has orders to call in the airstrike if Willard and Lance don't return but he's too dead to carry them out. :) My assumption is that Willard did call it in upon his return to the boat; the top brass would order it wrecked anyway. It bookends the film with an "explosive" symmetry that's now missing.

EDIT: Interesting point above.

Reactions: benbess

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I've owned this multiple times on DVD & Blu, and the only issue that I've been able to find the destruction footage is on the FULL DISCLOSURE set as an extra...
I don't have the disc anymore, but apparently it was on the original Paramount DVD release:
But when he put the end titles over explosions wiping out Kurtz's compound, some viewers thought that instead of laying down arms, Willard had called for an air strike that would have destroyed everyone.

"Perhaps I made a mistake," Coppola says.

The director ordered the recall of all 35mm prints from theaters and put the credits against a black background. By then, though, the speculation about a second ending had begun -- and would persist for two decades.

On the DVD, viewers get their choice of watching either credit sequence.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/movies/...tunning-DVD-version-of-2895933.php?psid=kaiQr

Reactions: Bob Cashill

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
I like all the added footage but The French Plantation scene after the funeral and the added bunnies scenes ,I would include some
of the work print only footage like the first meeting with Colby and Brando visiting Screen while hes in the cage
I don't think Storaro had anything to do with this transfer

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
There's literally nothing in "Redux" that I liked, so it seems unlikely that I'll dig "Final" either.

Will watch "Final" when I get the 4K to give it a shot, but since it seems to be simply a shorter "Redux", it's hard to imagine I'll like it!

Reactions: Scott Merryfield

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
My OPPO 203 does not play the 4K discs properly. All blacks show up as crimson. I had to watch the digital copy to see Dolby Vision, but lost the Atmos in the process, as my TV does not pass Atmos. This seems to be a problem with all Paramount 4K discs, as A Star Is Born had the same problem. Is anyone else with an OPPO experiencing this?

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
My OPPO 203 does not play the 4K discs properly. All blacks show up as crimson. I had to watch the digital copy to see Dolby Vision, but lost the Atmos in the process, as my TV does not pass Atmos. This seems to be a problem with all Paramount 4K discs, as A Star Is Born had the same problem. Is anyone else with an OPPO experiencing this?
Correction. I know its Lionsgate now (and WB). I was living in a Paramount past, but I have this problem with both of those 4K discs, regardless of label

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo