1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-Order Apocalypse Now: 40th Anniversary Edition (4k UHD) Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, May 14, 2019.

1. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    My closest Best Buy got 4 copies in. I bought the 1st one around 430pm. The packaging to me seems incomplete. They should have put an outer slipcase on this.

Aaron Silverman likes this.
  2. owen35

owen35 Stunt Coordinator

Steve
    Okay, this is slightly off topic but perhaps there's an expert on this particular forum who can offer insight.

I live in the East Bay, near Oakland, CA, and decided to see a 4k presentation this afternoon at the Larkspur Theater. I eventually left 40 minutes into the film because I couldn't take the projection--everything was too dark and the colors looked wrong. Faces in shadows were suddenly faces in complete darkness. The colors had an odd tint to them; The green uniforms looked slightly blue, and the yellow smoke that appears in the lower left of the frame during a wide shot of the napalm drop had a greenish color blended in. As I left I spoke to the manager and inquired if the projector had been calibrated. He said that it was a 4k, had the necessary HDMI specs, and the project had the right amount of lumens. "I've seen it 3 times and it looked fine to me." (All the videos before AN, looked perfect, btw. Bright, good colors.)

When I got home I immediately pulled out my 4K disc, dropped it into my Oppo player and watched on my OLED screen. The issues I encountered at the theater where not showing up on my screen at all. Everything looked fantastic.

So, I'm curious as to what caused such a difference. If the projector doesn't support Dolby Vision, would it incorrectly display the picture? I once played a 4k UHD disc on my brother's 1080p plasma screen and I noticed immediately that it looked darker than what I was seeing on my own home theater. That's what makes me think this is the same situation. Any thoughts?

PMF likes this.
  3. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Things have changed on iTunes since yesterday. Redux is no longer available for sale as a standalone. The Final Cut is a new listing and has both the Theatrical Cut and Redux as extras. I'm sure the 4K will eventually populate to the "extras" version of Redux.

Now I'm glad I didn't buy Redux as a standalone because the Final cut will (eventually) have all three cuts in 4K just like the 4K UHD discs.

4. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Same here. I called, complained and got a $10 credit.

5. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    The theatre would not have received a Dolby Vison DCP if they were not equipped for Dolby Vision. Whoever booked it would have had to request a Dolby Vision version, much like Atmos. Atmos equipped DCP's are separate from standard 7.1 DCP's because of the extra data required.

Some of the studios even have major theatre chain tech specs for each screen in their databases, and the correct version for the screen's specs can automatically be sent.

6. Message #66 of 110 Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

The Final Cut is on the main UHD disc and the main Blu-Ray disc. The original theatrical version and Redux are on the second UHD disc and the second Blu-Ray. Both original/Redux discs use seamless branching. Oddly, a 2.0 mix is available for The Final Cut, but only the new Atmos track is available for the original theatrical version and Redux.

All three versions use the new scan from the original camera negative, with the new digital color grading. So there is no longer the big difference between the look of the original theatrical version and the saturated dye-transfer look of the Redux cut.

I just finished watching the original theatrical version on the UHD disc. Looked fantastic. The dark scenes at the end when Willard makes it to Kurtz obscure what they're meant to obscure, but everything else is rock solid.

The fifth disc is the special features Blu-Ray disc, and the sixth disc is a Blu-Ray of Hearts of Darkness.

EDIT: Redeemed the digital copy on Vudu. Despite the insert saying that it included the 1979 cut and the Redux cut, I only got the Final Cut in my library. It is however UHD with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. I contacted Vudu Support. We'll see what they say.

benbess likes this.
  7. Douglas_H

Douglas_H Stunt Coordinator

I have to apologize but I watched the original theatrical cut at The Town theater in Seattle.
    The 1st film as an adult that we viewed at week later.
    1979 we were 22.
    Loved it.
    Rented the LD, have the DVD & latest Final Cut BD.
    I'm apologizing because I don't think I want to watch it again.
    Maybe I'll change my mind.

Stephen_J_H likes this.
  8. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    The iTunes version does include the theatrical and redux cuts.

Jeff Adkins and Tino like this.
  9. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I noted that change three hours before your post in another thread.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/posts/4775215/

10. Mike2001

Mike2001 Supporting Actor

Mike
    I am shocked, shocked to see that my Amazon pre-order still says arriving today at 8 pm, even though it is now past 10:30pm.

B-ROLL likes this.
  11. Brian L

Brian L Producer

According to The Bits, all three cuts on both 4K and 2K discs have Atmos. Excellent news for those that are not yet 4K.

PMF likes this.
  12. Kyle_D

Kyle_D Second Unit

Mine did not ship either, although now I'm at least getting the "We're sorry your package is late" message in the order status. I knew Amazon has beefs with Disney and that they've had issues with Warner titles, but Lionsgate was new to me.

13. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    I just got this from Amazon:
    New estimated delivery date:
    Tuesday, September 3, 2019 - Wednesday, September 4, 2019

If Amazon wasn't going to get orders to people on release day they shouldn't promise people they would. At the very least as soon as they realized they weren't going to ship they should have contacted their customers.

dpippel likes this.
  14. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Screenwriter

The new extras are excellent ,great having that 8mm stuff ,wish they premastered that work print stuff ,it has some scenes I could have used
    in the movie ,like the first scene with Scott Glen ,

15. Mike2001

Mike2001 Supporting Actor

Mike
    My new delivery date is this coming Friday. I'm not holding my breath.

16. owen35

owen35 Stunt Coordinator

Steve
    Spoke to the manager further. They are not using a DCP but a delivery system sent to them by myCinema. There seems to be an issue with the myCinema system not working perfectly with their projector. The manager worked late into the evening to fix it but they were not able to get the results they wanted. They are working again on it today to see if they can get it working as expected.

17. owen35

owen35 Stunt Coordinator

Steve
    I'm not sure what you use to view digital copies, but on iTunes you can access the '79 and Redux via the "Special Features" section. They are not showing up as independent listings.

18. Message #78 of 110 Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

All the comments about Amazon's missing ship dates or late delivery are a bit odd. Mine was delivered yesterday (pre-ordered two months ago), but the delivery time was very late in the day, compared to everything else they've delivered to me for the past year. Who knows what's going on with Amazon these days?

But for brief input: I've found that Bill Hunt's thorough review was a bit of an over-sell. The UHD is very good, but I found that several scenes were a bit underwhelming, based upon a long history of having watched many home editions over the years, and many times over. Some scenes ARE absolutely stellar, but I think several scenes could have, and should have been improved. A few seem outright soft. So I disagree with Bill's comments declaring "it couldn't be better". In particular, I was flustered by the opening scene with the tree line. There are absolutely distracting and unattractive artifacts. In fact, I strongly prefer the way that scene plays out on the Blu-ray. A few other scenes seem to have a tad too much HDR applied, to the point of reducing contrast and color saturation, though they're not show-stoppers. Also, there seems to be an excessive yellow color balance in several scenes during the first 30 or so minutes. I'm not talking about where it's an obvious stylistic choice, like during the first combat scene, but a subtle balance that I don't remember in earlier editions; combined with the slight desaturation and reduced contrast, the impression isn't favorable. I have no regrets for purchase, but Bill Hunt's "A+" rating and his words seem like an over-sell. The result is quite good overall, but nowhere near flawless. I hope others here will confirm or reject my impressions.

19. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Just finished watching most of the FINAL CUT in 4k.

There's only so much of this film I can watch in one sitting.

There was a time I hated this movie. Thought it was just too far "out there." However, in past years -- especially with the Blu-ray release of REDUX, I have greatly embraced this film. I think REDUX was the first time I actually sat through the film in one entire sitting and really put thought to it.

Anyway...

The 4k looks simply outstanding. It's another one of those moments when I really appreciate the money I spent on upgrading to a 4k projector. This is one of the best 4k images I have seen to date. The level of detail is just amazing.

The Atmos sounds terrific --- particularly in the beach scenes with Duvall. My only disappointment was in the low-end. My bass shakers really didn't respond to the explosions as they would in more recent war films.

Speaking of which...

There's a great scene I never noticed before that is included in the FINAL CUT. It involves Duvall lurking overhead in a helicopter as we hear his voice over the P.A. asking for his surfboard back. Thought that was exclusive to FINAL CUT but when I checked the disc, it also appeared in REDUX.

Craig_Ehr likes this.
  20. Kyle_D

Kyle_D Second Unit

I noticed some of this in the IMAX Laser presentation of the Final Cut earlier this month, but I think the yellow push in the color timing and contrast was all intentional. It looked fantastic IMHO, and if the UHD looks close to the IMAX presentation, I don't think Bill will have oversold it. The tree line opening optical artifacts are a lot more distracting than previous editions, however. The old Blu-ray generally used a lot of DNR to tame the grain, and that thankfully seems to have been avoided here, but it does hurt the opening opticals. I'm almost surprised Coppola didn't go re-composite them digitally.

David Wilkins likes this.