1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Apocalypse Now (1979)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Reggie W, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    True. The one downside is that it's unlikely you're ever going to see the original cut shown theatrically anymore, and this is a film that really demands to be seen on a big screen.

2. Message #102 of 105 Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Why wouldn't it be legit?
    I would've said the same in 1989 when "Lawrence of Arabia" was restored to its longer, fuller and more contextual running time.

BTW, in 1984, Siskel and Ebert had jointly placed "Once Upon a Time in America" on their 10 Best and 10 Worst films of that year. "Worst" denoted the American theatrical release, which showcased one of the ugliest studio cuts and edits known to man; with a running time of 139 minutes. "Best" denoted the European theatrical release, which was the longer version that's now been available for years on BD; with a running Time: 229 minutes. Meanwhile, in 2014, "Once Upon a Time in America" enjoyed an even longer version at Cannes; which restored an extra 22 minutes and is now available with the standard European version in a 2-BD set.

NOTE: refer to "A few words about...Once Upon a Time in America - Extended Director's Cut -- BD" for more in-depth information concerning those 22 minutes.

benbess likes this.
  3. questrider

questrider Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Brian
    I wish Apocalypse Now Final Cut would have had a longer engagement in IMAX over an entire week besides two days only on a Thursday and Sunday. When this occurred a couple of weeks back my local IMAX which boasts a 70' wide screen (one of the few that used to have a 15/70 projector back in the day) had electrical problems due to a power surge and was closed for a whole week or more so I missed it. I was hoping they would reschedule but they haven't. Bummer.

4. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    The biggest difference I noticed when compared to Redux was the scenes with finding the crashed helicopter and the Playboy bunnies has been taken out.

5. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    So, the only way to hear the original theatrical mix, without Redux changes, is the new blu? I guess the old blu had alterations to the track