1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Apocalypse Now (1979)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Reggie W, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    [​IMG]
    Title: Apocalypse Now

Tagline: This is the end...

Genre: Drama, War

Director: Francis Ford Coppola

Cast: Martin Sheen, Marlon Brando, Robert Duvall, Frederic Forrest, Sam Bottoms, Laurence Fishburne, Albert Hall, Harrison Ford, Dennis Hopper, G. D. Spradlin, Jerry Ziesmer, Scott Glenn, James Keane, Kerry Rossall, Colleen Camp, Cynthia Wood, Linda Carpenter, Jack Thibeau, Tom Mason, Damien Leake, Marc Coppola, Glenn Walken, Bill Graham, Jerry Ross, Charles Robinson, Nick Nicholson, Don Gordon Bell, Evan A. Lottman, R. Lee Ermey, Jim Gaines, Charlie Sheen, Vittorio Storaro, Francis Ford Coppola, Henry Strzalkowski, Lonnie Woodley, Aurore Clément, G.D. Spradlin

Release Date:

Runtime: 147

Plot: At the height of the Vietnam war, Captain Benjamin Willard is sent on a dangerous mission that, officially, "does not exist, nor will it ever exist." His goal is to locate - and eliminate - a mysterious Green Beret Colonel named Walter Kurtz, who has been leading his personal army on illegal guerrilla missions into enemy territory.

2. Message #2 of 105 Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    OK, so why am I posting about this now? Well, because first off the film is returning to theaters, and then there is this...

Francis Ford Coppola’s Apocalypse Now will celebrate its 40th Anniversary at the Festival with a screening of a new, never-before-seen restored version of the film, entitled Apocalypse Now: Final Cut. Remastered from the original negative in 4K Ultra HD, the film will be brought to life with Dolby Vision® and Dolby Atmos®, delivering spectacular colors and highlights that are up to 40 times brighter and blacks that are 10 times darker, and Dolby Atmos, producing moving audio that flows all around you with breathtaking realism. The Beacon Theatre will also be outfitted for this exclusive occasion with Meyer Sound VLFC (Very Low Frequency Control), a ground-breaking loudspeaker system engineered to output audio frequencies below the limits of human hearing, giving the audience a truly visceral experience.

So, if I am reading that right, there is a new cut of the film, yes, he has recut it again, and it has been prepped for 4K release for home viewing...so, the selling point of the new home 4K release is you are getting a new cut of the film.

This is exciting news. I do wonder what the new cut will be though. I know there was a lot of material but I thought he included all he wanted to in the last cut.

Darby67 and PMF like this.
  3. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    “Restoring Apocalypse Now: Final Cut 40 years later has been a tremendous undertaking and joy that I am thrilled to be able to share with the world for the first time at this year’s Tribeca Film Festival. The audience will be able to see, hear and feel this film how I always hoped it could be — from the first ‘bang’ to the final whimper.” -Francis Ford Coppola

4. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    So, currently they have the run time of this new "Final Cut" listed as 147 minutes, which is the run time of the theatrical release...the Redux run time being 196 minutes. I am guessing they are just using that run time as a place holder or...the Final Cut is just a restored version of the theatrical cut...which seems unlikely but possible. My guess is Coppola did some fiddling with the cut.

Darby67 likes this.
  5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'm guessing it's probably somewhere in the middle- some of the scenes from Redux are still in there but some are (rightly) removed.

Darby67 and Reggie W like this.
  6. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Yes, I would think if he is calling this the "Final Cut" he has recut the film. I mean if it was just a restoration or a new 4K prep of the picture why would he call it the "Final Cut."

Darby67 and TravisR like this.
  7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I would buy this on UHD if the theatrical cut is offered along with whatever "The Final Cut" is. I do not care for the Redux version. The added scenes are unnecessary and slow down the film too much, IMO.

Todd Erwin, Darby67 and Reggie W like this.
  8. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    I'm curious, will there be other screenings besides the one at the Beacon Theater to celebrate the 40th anniversary? It'd be nice if it came to some AMC or other theater chain.

Darby67, Reggie W and PMF like this.
  9. Message #9 of 105 Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Fear not fans, as I am certain that the 45th Anniversary will provide us with "Apocalypse Now: The Final Redux Cut".
    Nonetheless, I'm all in for a restored 4K/UHD; just as long as the original is included and given the same treatment.
    On second thought, maybe a 4K 3-pack is in order. Call it "Apocalypse Now, Before and In-Between".
    Oh yes, any word if this will be in Univisium, as well?:rolleyes:

Darby67, Mike2001 and Reggie W like this.
  10. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I was thinking "Apocalypse Now and Again and Again" would be a good title for the box set from Lionsgate.

Darby67, skylark68 and PMF like this.
  11. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    Reminds me of Oliver Stone's Alexander. Theatrical, Director, Final, Ultimate, et al....

Darby67, TravisR, PMF and 1 other person like this.
  12. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Well, it has taken Coppola years to recut his film but Stone I think ponders recuts of Alexander every 6 months or so.

B-ROLL, Darby67 and skylark68 like this.
  13. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Hey, it's been almost 5 years since Stone did a new cut of "Alexander" - don't exaggerate! :D

Four cuts of the same movie does seem excessive. Yeah, I know there are 5 cuts of "Blade Runner" out there, but those aren't the same, IMO.

The "Workprint" isn't a fully realized "cut", and the "US theatrical" and "International" versions are very similar.

In addition, I think the 1992 cut and the "Final Cut" are similar.

So IMO, there's really just two substantially different versions of "Blade Runner": 1982 and 1992/2007.

That said, I can't remember how different the versions of "Alexander" are from each other!

Darby67, skylark68 and Reggie W like this.
  14. SD_Brian

SD_Brian Supporting Actor

Brian
    The Director's Cut is a slightly restructured and tightened-up version of the dreadfully dull Theatrical cut. The Final Cut is radically different (and much better) than the two earlier cuts, while the Ultimate Edition is basically a tightened-up version of the Final Cut.

The four versions of "Alexander" should be required viewing in film school editing classes as an example of how proper structure and pacing can make a nearly 4-hour movie feel 6 hours shorter than a 3-hour movie. They should also be required viewing in courses where studio executives are taught about the folly of rushing through post-production in order to make a release date--not that such courses actually exist.

skylark68 and Colin Jacobson like this.
  15. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I'm tempted to go to this, but I'm not sure that I'm willing to spend over $100 to see the movie in person.

Darby67 likes this.
  16. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I am also thinking about going to this showing but I have to see if I can be there on that date.

Darby67 likes this.
  17. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    According to that guy Jeff Wells this is not a new cut of the film. It is the theatrical cut placed in a digital tuxedo...

No new footage, nothing to do with re-editing or extra bells and whistles — it’s strictly a technical upgrade thing. “Remastered in 4K Ultra HD with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos from a 4K scan of the original negative,” etc. Hollywood Elsewhere urges Coppola to remove the words “final cut” and replace them with “spit-shined.” Because that’s what this is.

18. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Well, this being the case I likely won't attend the Tribeca screening. If what this Wells character says is accurate...is he as they say, a reliable source?

Darby67 likes this.
  19. AcesHighStudios

AcesHighStudios Stunt Coordinator

Mike Williams
    The selling point of the new 4K release is that it is a 4K release.

Darby67 likes this.
  20. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Yes, that appears to be the case.

Darby67 likes this.