What's new

Apex dvd (1 Viewer)

Tommy_G

Auditioning
I was looking to get my first DVD player. I don't have
alot of money at the moment but later on would like to
get a home theater system. (After Christmas)
Best Buy has an Apex (AD-3201) for $130.00.
I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was of
this unit. I have been looking at the Yamaha YHT-24
for the home theater system and wuld give one of the
2 DVD players to my parents.
Thanks for any responses!
Tom

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Tommy,
For $29 more, Best Buy has the Toshiba SD1700 which is a great entry level player. They've even got free shipping on this player. Look here. I got my dad one and was really impressed. It's got everything you would need and Toshibas are very good quality. I'd stay away from Apex. I haven't heard reliable stuff about those players.
Peace,
DM
------------------
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

James Nguyen

Second Unit
To defend Apex a tad, they're honestly not all that bad of players. I ended up paying $100 bucks for an Apex 620 quite a bit back and was satisfied with it, given that it was a $100 dollar dvd player. :P It had component video and was region selectable. Was great for a poor college student.
Now working however, I've replaced it with a Malata. The Apex was a great bang for the buck, but with sacrifices in difficulties in playing branching DVDs, relatively significant pauses in layer changes, and some artifacting of pure blacks.
Hmm....maybe it's not all that great afterall. :) If you truly can find a Sony, Panny, Toshbia, etc. for 20, 30 bucks more w/ comparable feature sets, I'd say go for it. That said, I don't believe Apex players to be pure junk either.

Rich Corle

Stunt Coordinator
DO NOT buy an apex player. I hgad my player for about 6 months until it just plain stopped working. extremely unreliable. Get the Toshiba SD-1700 for 142 bucks at best Buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks