APEX ADR1000 (progressive DVD + PDR)

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Eric_Lakes, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Eric_Lakes

Eric_Lakes Agent

Has anyone heard about this product. It's on pre-order at Amazon for less than $200. There's no mention of any fees.

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Cripes, even the Apex site has no info on it. Hope its not vaporware. I think there was a new product announcement in S&V months ago, but I have not found squat.

FWIW, I do not think there are any fees at all. Not sure if it uses any guide data. If so, probably Gemstar, or something similar. This would be a godsend for those that can't stomach Tivo and Reply fees.

Personally, I am a Tivo owner, and and very happy with it. My interest in the Apex is for friends that want a Tivo type device, but don't want the fees or the full functionality.

There are some Tivo Basic units coming out (Pioneer I think) that are no-fee, but the prices are ridiculous (yah, there's no monthly fee, you just pay it ALL upfront, and then some).

BGL

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Wow.
    I'd trade my Replay for that.
    If this thing works 1/4 as good as a Replay/Tivo it ought to change the face of the industry (at least from a pricing perspective).

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

5. Eric_Lakes

Eric_Lakes Agent

Tivo/Replay's features only come in handy if you have lots of Cable or DSS channels. And if you are already paying out the A$$ for that service then a little more wouldn't hurt too much.

But if you are like me and have just basic cable with 30 channels, then the advance features don't mean much. I know exactly what is on those channels and what I want to record. Plus who has time to watch the 10 hours of Friends you would record everyday if you used the "KEYWORD" search?

6. Camp

Camp Cinematographer