APEX AD-7701 DVD/SACD/DVD-Audio/Kitchen Sink player in stock at J&R Music World!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Dec 18, 2001.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

J&R Music World has finally received the APEX AD-7701 do-it-all player. It's $300. You can't order it on their web site, so you have to call them at 1-800-221-8180.

No, I did not order one yet. I don't need it, but I am intrigued by it.

2. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

I am super curious to see how this player handles SACD. Multi-Channel in particular. I don't recall seeing any Bass-management at all in the users manual.

I'm skeptical to say the least, but I will reserve any judgement until I actually hear it.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ric, are you actually going to buy it?

4. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"I don't recall seeing any Bass-management at all in the users manual. "
    Ric,
    With the money one would save you could easily add an Outlaw ICBM to this unit and have it all[​IMG] I'm intrigued by this piece as I'm sure others are. I'm leaving tomorrow night on vacation and by the time I get back my Theater Room will be done. It will be time for me to jump into either DVD-A or SACD, but with the new Apex player...I may give both a shot. If it's a POS, send it back....
    Jeremy

5. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I wonder what this beauty (gulp) weighs.... gotta be at least 5 or 6 pounds. Whats your guess Keith? [​IMG]

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeremy said:

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chip, regarding the weight, let me put it this way: J&R quoted me $4.95 for shipping and handling to Delaware. Now, Delaware is not far from New York City, but $4.95? When I ordered the 'C333ES from J&R back in April, I paid $20 for shipping and handling. 5-6 lbs. sounds about right for the APEX player. [​IMG]

8. Andrew Beck

Andrew Beck Stunt Coordinator

Does this mean that a higher quality universal player can't be far behind? If a pioneer or somesuch released a player with the features of the apex with decent quality at a $600-700 MSRP that had a street price in the 400-500 range i think they wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelves.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Andrew, there has been discussion here and on Audio Asylum about Pioneer releasing the DV-747A "universal" player in Europe. It plays multi-channel and stereo SACDs as well as DVD-Audio discs and is a progressive-scan player. I don't know if it has HDCD or MP3 decoders, however. I doubt it has an HDCD decoder since Pioneer has never incorporated one into any of its products. Also, I haven't seen any comments as to whether the '747A has a DSD DAC for SACD. Anyway, there has been some talk that Pioneer will release a version of the '747A in its Elite line in the US next year. The CES is next month, so maybe we will learn more then.

10. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Keith,

That Pioneer could just be my next player if everything pans out... I'll move the 9K into the bedroom. I'm anxious too see what happens at CES..