Apex Ad-1500 Illegal??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Proud, Nov 30, 2001.

1. David Proud

David Proud Stunt Coordinator

I purchased an APEX AD-1500 DVD player from Circuit city. Got a good deal on it so I decided to list it on ebay and make a couple of $$$.
    So I get this email that my auction has been shutdown and ended early! PHillips [email protected]
    here is what it said
    your auction has been ended at the request of U.S. Philips Corporation, a member of eBay's Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Program, because they filed a sworn statement that it offers a product or contains material which violates their copyright, trademark or other rights. In the interest of protecting all eBay users, we end such listings to avoid any association with potentially infringing or unlawful items.
    SCREW them, there are 20 other players listed, what is illegal about The Apex AD-1500 that has to do with US Phillips Corporation?

2. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Strange... Did you e-mail the listed address and ask?

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Several of the Apex DVD players have firmware that can be hacked to defeat MacroVision and to allow playing of multiple region DVD's. However the 1500 isn't one of them

4. David Proud

this is the email response I got from Phillips.
    Dear David Proud:
    Thank you for your inquiry. I apologize for the inconvenience that this auction cancellation has caused you and your good customers.
    The DVD player which you are attempting to sell infringes numerous patents held by Philips and other companies. The U.S. patent law allows patent holders to prevent the sale of any item that infringes their patent(s).
    Philips encourages many brands of players to be available lawfully in the market. Philips has no interest in preventing the free trade of DVD players. We offer a license under our patents for DVD player manufacturers on reasonable and non-discriminatory conditions.
    Numerous companies are licensed. Other have chosen to ignore the rights of patent owners. Unfortunately, the manufacturer of your player, unlike many of its competitors, has chosen not to be licensed.
    Please understand that Philips spent great effort developing the DVD related technology for all to enjoy. The patents are one way that research companies like Philips are able to and encouraged to develop new products.
    Thanks for your understanding.
    Regards,
    Ginger Affolter
    IP Assistant
    Philips System Standards & Licensing
    Philips Corporate Intellectual Property
    PHILIPS ELECTRONICS NORTH AMERICA CORP.
    1000 W. Maude Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA 94085-2810
    E-mail: [email protected]
    Web-site: www.licensing.philips.com
    "David Proud"
    11/30/01 04:10 PM
    END OF LETTER..

5. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Now that I think about it I recall that Apex (a Chinese company) isn't paying the licensing fees that are charged by Phillips/Sony for CD technology

6. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

So WTF? Why are they going after the little guy trying to sell just one player? Why don't they go after the big retail chains that are selling these.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

7. David Proud

"So WTF? Why are they going after the little guy trying to sell just one player? Why don't they go after the big retail chains that are selling these. "

I know thats what I am saying. Why not go after Circuit City, Wal Mart? I tell you why they don't b/c they don't have any balls. They wanna pick on little people like me, and litle people like me don't make the difference anyway, what a bunch of idiots.

IF anyone is looking for a DVD player, I will get rid of it on the good old Home theater Forum, Unless Phillips prevents that!

8. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

David, I'm not suggesting that you start it, but it seems this would make a great class action lawsuit against Phillips, preventing you from selling your 1 measly Apex on Ebay, but readily allowing the big guys to continue selling them. Or for that matter, allowing Apex to keep selling them to Circuit City et al. There must be some money here for a law firm. It appears that every Apex owner (and that includes myself for the 600A model I bought at Circuit City) is being denied their rights to free trade. Does this mean it's illegal to sell Apex players at a garage sale?

9. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

OK here is my "Conspiracy Theory"
    Philips is afraid DVD Auido will win out over SACD as the future physical medium for music. This would lead to Philips (the inventor of CD) to lose all of its revenue from licensing of CDs and players paid by all the manufactures of CDs and CD players. This would be a huge loss to Philips. So instead of of taking it out on CC and others that could get mad and push the DVD Audio format, they are taking their anger out on David [​IMG]
    So... Fight back! Buy DVD Audio!! [​IMG]