Apex 27" or Akai 27"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EvanB, Nov 11, 2002.

1. EvanB

EvanB Stunt Coordinator

Circuit City is selling the Apex for $188. Sams club has the Akai for $300. Any opinions on which one i should get for a studio apt? Im on a tight budget obviously, but i would like a decent set. the apex doesnt have component in, but akai does. i dont have a membership to sams club, tho i could probably get one. thanks for the recommendations...

2. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    FYI, in the latest SAM's club mail out booklet for Christmas, they have a "pass" good for one visit, Not sure if this allows for a purchase or not, WOULD suspect it does?? Also, here in my area the Akai's are $347, I saw the Apex @ CC and since it has S-video I am considering it too. I also dwell in an apartment. I recently purchased a 27" Sylvania from Sam's for $199 and like it but it is not a flat tube, glare is tough.
    FYI-Their are several threads on the Akai if you search this forum, it does have some problem issues too[​IMG]

3. EvanB

EvanB Stunt Coordinator

yeah, for the price im not expecting a great set. all i need is something to watch dvds on (of course), play ps2, and watch some occasional tv....do you know of where i can get one of those free passes? anyone? the sams club web site says $299, can i expect to pay this in CO?

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Get the AKAI, it's just a Samsung clone. The Apex is a piece of junk compared to the Akai it's not even in the same league as the Akai. Do a search on the Akai & you will get plenty of info on it. As far as I'm concerned the Akai is even better than the Flat Tube Sony's. Just my 2 cents though. Check my post on Consumer Reports TV Ratings because they have a test report on the Akai.

5. EvanB

EvanB Stunt Coordinator

i figured the apex as a piece of junk. i checked on samsclub.com and they only list the non-flat panel akai in a 25 inch model. i was looking for the 27 inch flat panel akai-do they not offer it anymore?

6. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    They have it in mine @ $379, not sure what else the prices are around the country?

7. Matt Fig

Matt Fig Stunt Coordinator

I bought the APEX set as a quick fix (my very old set's picture was looking rather green) before I get another TV (bigger). I will be putting this one into the bedroom. So far so good. The reason for the purchase was because it had the most A/V jacks. For $188.00 I said "What the hell". The DVD looks pretty good with the S-Video hook up.

8. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

Anyone know if the Akai's 16:9 Widescreen mode is a true "Vertical Compression" or squeeze mode? Or is it just some sort of gimic? It also has a zoom mode too, so I am guessing it is not a true vertical squeeze like the Sonys.

9. NathanS

NathanS Agent

Get the Akai, I bought one for the bedroom, and it only ran $350. It has a true squeeze mode accessed from the remote, nice sound, flat screen, component input, and a great picture.

Beware though, it's heavy, and the cabinet is as big as most 32" TV's.

10. EvanB

EvanB Stunt Coordinator

I purchased a JVC AV-27D302 yesterday at Circuit City for $199 open box. No problems whatsoever with the set. Works perfectly. The one thing i am wondering is, does it have a service menu where i can access a squeeze mode? that would push this set from great to wonderful. thanks guys and gals...

11. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Mitsubishi owns Akai, right?

12. Robert_Powers

Not that I know of, Akai is owned by Akai Electric Company, Ltd(APH USA) which have been making keyboards and recording mixing stations for years and are now branching out into the radio and TV profession.Their headquaters is located in Santa Monica, CA.
    I bought the PTH5498 from Akai more than 2 months ago.The PTH5498 is their 54" HDTV system and I have nothing but praise for this system.I have had it professional calibrated and the picture is stunning.It was exciting to watch "Star Wars Episode 2" last night in it's full digital glory on the HDTV set through my Panny RP62 progressive dvd player, a very stunning picture. [​IMG]
    I highly recommend Akai's products, and plus as mentioned before they use Samsung parts in their TV's so you get a great TV, with good parts, for a good price. [​IMG]
    As for Apex, their video quality stinks from what I've seen on about 4 models.With them you get what you pay for and that's why they are "too" cheap.For example my friend's Apex dvd player's that he paid a cheap 50$ for it's dvd tray fell out one day, how embarrassing. [​IMG]

13. JamesPGH

JamesPGH Auditioning

The Pittsburgh Sam's has the Akai 27" for $350. Just picked one up yesterday.