What's new

Aperion Sub/HK AVR Analog Input ? (1 Viewer)

Mitch_J

Stunt Coordinator
Aperion S-12
HK AVR 225
Sony 5 disc cd play
Sony progressive scan DVD player

For some reason I can't figure, When playing a CD in my CD player, I get absolutely no Sub action. If I put the same CD in my DVD player I get great bass. DVD player does have a Toslink connector whereas the CD player simply has analog RCA connections. Still, in all of the various surround sound modes that the HK has and ensuring that I have front speakers set to small and S/W set to Sub and not LFE. (I've even tried setting Fronts to Large and S/W to Front L/R & SUB) I get nothing coming out the sub. Obviously the connection between the sub and the receiver is good since it plays well from an optical input from the DVD player.
And I get sound from the other five speakers through the analog connection from the CD player. Tell me, What am I missing. Either I am overlooking something or possibly have some sort of bad analog input connection on my HK(?)

BTW. Has anyone listened to "TOOL's Aenima" CD through surround sound?

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
perhaps a digi connection is required with that receiver in order to utilize it's bass management

Mitch_J

Stunt Coordinator
Possibly. Although there is nothing in the OM about that. And how would you have no bass on VHS, Cassette, CD or Phono? I'll try hooking up the DVD player through it using analog inputs and see if it gives me anything through DPLII that way. Thanks.
Anyone else with a Sugg.?

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
As ScottCHI has said, it is probably the way the HK is designed. With a stereo analog source via RCA's, the receiver is probably just passing these 2 signals to the amps for the R and L front, which is what some people want. In order to feed the sub, the receiver would have to redigitize the signal, process it by number crunching to create the appropriate signal for the mains and sub (or all channels if a DSP mode is selected), then reconvert back to analog.

Some CD players have a digital out just like the DVD player. Check the back of yours- you may be able to pass the bitstream to the HK in which case it will divide the signal for you.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Make sure the speakers are set to small, and the sub set to LFE(L+R).

The HK does support bass management on the RCA stereo inputs.

Mitch_J

Stunt Coordinator
No digital output on the CD player. And the fronts are set to small and sub is set for sub not LFE.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Two options. Why not just play CD's on the DVD player. The other choice is to feed the sub speaker level signals interposing it between the HK and the R/L front speakers. Set sub to none or off. Set R/L to large and all other speakers to small. Set the crossover on the sub to 60-100 depending on the bass ability of your mains.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks