Aperion Audio (Edge Audio) Speakers... any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ray M Y, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Ray M Y

Ray M Y Auditioning

Hi, I was wondering if anybody has Aperion Audio speakers... I read some good reviews on them, but I don't hear nearly as much about the brand compared to Axiom, Paradigm, etc. How do these speakers compare to other speaker packages in the same price range (1200-1400 USD for 5.1 set at www.aperionaudio.com )? The reviews talked about good sound along with really nice solid cabinets... but I would like to hear more about first-hand experience with them, not just reviews online. Input?
    Ray

2. Hyun K

Hyun K Stunt Coordinator

I auditioned AA speakers + their 12 inch sub for 3 - 4 weeks but returned them after my trial period. They had good build quailty, nice finishes.. the sub really went low and loud (never measured it though). The best thing I can say is that this is probably one of the greatest bang for the bucks I've seen. To get 5 well built identical bookshelves with a solid sub that perform at their level for their price is pretty darn good. If I listened to 100% HT, I would have stayed with this system and been completely content. They play bigger than their size and the sub provided lots of bass reinforcement. But the reason why I returned the AA's was on music playback. The bookshelves sounded a little warm for my tastes. I always felt that the sound was muffled and boxy in a subtle way. So after lots of auditioning, I finally went with B&W 602S3 because of how they sounded with music.... and naturally HT sounded good as well. Of course, I had to pay a couple hundred more and that's without a sub. If you're just looking for a good solid HT at an awesome price, I don't think you can go wrong with this system. For music, it depends on your tastes. You might end up really liking them. It's worth a shot to listen to. Not sure if they still have the promotion, but I didn't pay a cent for shipping and a full refund... so it's really a ZERO cost audition.

3. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

They are very nice speakers. AA speakers use di-aural crossovers (developed by the kimber kable guy) and Vifa drivers. They've gotten nothing but great reviews from what I've seen. (Cnet.com, Cheaphometheater.com, Home Theater Magazine)

4. RandyKudor

RandyKudor Stunt Coordinator

Aperion speakers are quite nice for HT. I do agree with Hyuns assesment regarding their performance with music however.
    They are a low efficiency design which enables them to sound warm by sacrificing efficiency in the midrange and treble. When such a small speaker sounds so warm, it gives the impression of having a decent bass response making the speaker appear to sound 'BIG'. Not necessarily a bad thing, however, the speaker can sound less detailed.
    A couple other good options at http://www.cheaphometheater.com

5. David*RT

David*RT Stunt Coordinator

I have heard from other that Aperion makes amazing home theater speakers. Very high Wife Approval Factor because of their great looks. They use Vifa drivers which are known for VERY high quality.
    I heard one guy said that the competing brand, Ascend Acoustics had a subtly crisper layer. Like one guy said here, they may sound "muffled"...but that is a very harsh term since they are of amazing quality.
    I have Ascend Acoustics monitors (check www.audioreview.com for review). They do live up to their hype of being great in the mids and highs. You won't get much bass out of them since their bookshelves (a problem all bookshelves have by design, but do better imaging than floorstanders in general)...... so I'd mate it with an Adire Rava sub (factory direct) for $399. In this manner, you have a VERY musical system that is also good for Home Theater.
    You can't go wrong with Aperion, however. While the guy I read gave the slightest preference in sound to Ascend when comparing, he stuck with the gorgeous Aperions.....so the difference in sound must be very, very, very little.
    Hope this helps.
    .....also look into www.axiomaudio.com and www.norh.com (uses Vifa drivers also and very highly rated)......The Axiom tweeter is kind of bright and I preferred the Ascend Acoustics as it was a tad better balanced.
    (check out www.harmonicdiscord.com for Norh reviews.)